• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (4 Viewers)

It was RW to me which I am very familiar with...........it hadn't occurred to me that it might be Marsh Warbler...........very rare in Sussex, as you know I'm sure.

Too right, I never saw one in my 20 years' living in Sussex, though there was a bird that caused great discussion/ near fisticuffs on the west side at Pagham one year, a Reed Warbler with a particularly varied song was the eventual consensus reached! After 9 years living up here, the situation is reversed, a Reed Warbler would be amazing, Marsh warblers are common!!
If there's a reedbed fairly near let's hope you'll be seeing more of the species chez vous, especially once the young are on the wing.

Had what I ''think'' is a garden 1st this afternoon on my pink ''Valerian''......a Painted Lady!....I asked her in for a drink, but.........:-O

Seeing the Black Redstarts male female and young many times a day , two young still being fed . From my photos can one of you tell me what ages the birds are and if male or female young ?

Attachments

• 6 june 2015 001.JPG
    6 june 2015 001.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 6 june 2015 004.JPG
    6 june 2015 004.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 6 june 2015 007.JPG
    6 june 2015 007.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 20
Seeing the Black Redstarts male female and young many times a day , two young still being fed . From my photos can one of you tell me what ages the birds are and if male or female young ?

They're very young Brenda, just fledged. They've still got the gape. Can't tell the gender as they will look like juveniles or females until next spring probably. You are very lucky to have breeding Black Redstarts in your garden.:t:

Not quite the 186 that flew over the Nanjizal Valley in Cornwall today, but I'm very happy to have had one!
57. Red Kite

They're very young Brenda, just fledged. They've still got the gape. Can't tell the gender as they will look like juveniles or females until next spring probably. You are very lucky to have breeding Black Redstarts in your garden.:t:

Hi thanks for your advice , Yes , I am very lucky to have them and especially so very close to the house .Seeing them all day ,yesterday one of the young landed on patio table when I was having lunch and stayed a couple minutes . The mother soon came in a panic and got between me and her baby.
I come from East Sussex, been here 21 years.

With this forked tail must be a red kite but too high to see clearer .
Three black kites overhead low several times again today breeding nearby.
When birds are overhead I have difficulty in taken photos.
Dark morning here.

Attachments

• 13 june 2015 002.JPG
    13 june 2015 002.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Raining here today...not had rain for a while...just had a grey heron flying over the fields, which is a rare sight here, as we are far from water ( not counting the rain ;) )

Heading into the summer lulls ...last regular breeder on patch at last ...Marsh Warbler singing in shrubbery. Corncrakes nearby, Lesser Spotted Eagle overhead.

115. Marsh Warbler

Last edited:
Heading into the summer lulls ...last regular breeder on patch at last ...Marsh Warbler singing in shrubbery. Corncrakes nearby, Lesser Spotted Eagle overhead.

115. Marsh Warbler

Nice selection going on there, Jos

The thing that pleased me no end that I discovered that I had Greenfinches in my 'back' garden in Bedford - they tend not to use the feeders for whatever reason - they use the bird bath though!

I heard their scraping call over and over again for a while, but now know I was not imagining it.

26. Diamond Dove
27. Black-headed Grosbeak
28. Hooded Oriole
Realized I had left off the first number 26--Eurasian Collared Dove. So Hooded Oriole is #29.
When I started this list, I was here in Orange County, California at my Mother's house. I will be moving to my place in San Diego County soon and will continue listing from there. My list is going to improve dramatically and I didn't want anyone thinking I had started Wish List rather than the real thing.

Spent a couple of days at the San Diego place. I should ask if moves are allowed. Should I scrub the yard list this year?
30. California Towhee
31. California Quail
32. Nutall’s Woodpecker
33. Wren Tit
34. Acorn Woodpecker
35. Bush Tits
36. Scrub Jay
37. Oak Titmouse
38. Ash-throated Flycatcher
39. Red-tailed Hawk
40. Bewick’s Wren
41. Spotted Towhee

Saw close to a dozen Common Poorwills on the dirt road to my place, but none on my property.:-C My son say they are there though--maybe next time. They are so cute.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back