• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Well, well, well ... heard the Water Rails squealing in the reeds again this weekend, but to my ear, some of the squeals sounding like begging calls. Sneaked to a small hump that affords a little better views and quite some time later, a very remarkable view unfolded ...a pair of Water Rails with three chicks!!!

Fantastic, only previous records are autumn birds in 2013 and 2014, so a cracking first breeding record ...sneaky birds though, they have managed to breed and hatch chicks without me getting a single hint of their presence until just a week ago!

Very very sneaky to escape your eagle eyes!

Nothing new species for the year, but first real feelings of autumn (despite warm and sunny ...dew-draped spider webs early morning, White Storks all departed, Whinchats roving on flocks of a dozen or two, Nutcracker numbers rising (about 6-8 in the hazels these days).

Good mammal selection - mother and young Moose on Friday, Red Squirrel near the feeders, up to five Raccoon Dogs together at apples, one Beaver, both Stone and Pine Martens at night.

It might be the Winchat season in some parts - but nowt here in the way of migrants. Big rolling thunderstorms this pm - & v warm - but nothing new to see.

Really envious of the mammals, Jos.

Well!
A cracking morning with three Kestrels sparring with two Sparrowhawks - when a call from directly above put me on to a beautiful

70: Yellow Wagtail

briefly lit in the early sun!
Unknown locally this passage bird is a once a year chance.

Snap H2 ! I also had my first Yellow Wags of the year here earlier, only problem I was up in the fields so not one for the Garden List just yet, to add insult to injury I also clocked 2 Tree Pipits up there, another one still needed for the 2015 GL. So, a bit like Ken perched on his window sill, I’ve got the windows open hoping they’ll fly over the house later.
However, I learnt something this week which came in really handy this morning, after over 50 years’ birding, nearly all within the Western Palearctic, I like to think I know the calls and songs, apart from those of species I’ve never seen of course, so last Monday when I heard a pleasant liquidy trill that I didn’t recognise coming from the sedges and reeds where the Marsh Warblers breed, I was ‘all of a flutter’.
After about 10 minutes up popped a Grasshopper Warbler, so when I got home I checked on Xeno-Canto.org and found the exact same song I’d heard, the little-recorded autumn song thought to be sung by 1st autumn birds apparently. If you’re interested, go to http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Locustella-naevia?pg=2 - it’s recording no. X172586. I heard the same song this morning just outside the garden, going across the road to an overgrown paddock I flushed, sure enough, a Gropper, my fourth of the month here!
Willow Tits seem to have had a good breeding season (like most species here this year), the young are beginning to wander about a bit now, so yesterday’s bird made up for the total absence of the species in the garden last winter :
87 Willow Tit
88 Grasshopper Warbler

Evening update: catching insects alongside 3 Whinchats, a nice smart young
89 Northern Wheatear
Can't match Jos for mammal sightings, though there were a couple of Pine Marten making a racket outside the other night. In the morning I found that one of them had left a 'present' in the middle of the water bowl I put out for the birds :eek!: - charming!

Last edited:
- when a call from directly above put me on to a beautiful
70: Yellow Wagtail
briefly lit in the early sun!
Unknown locally this passage bird is a once a year chance.

Last time I had one of those over and calling, was so long ago it doesn't bear thinking about!....my eyes (and ears) to the skies, got a lot of catching up to do :eek!:

Hope you have recovered from your 'all-a-flutter" Richard. I listened to that; kind of Wren like but not quite. Message to myself: pay attention next time!

A good day of movement here today, in between the showers, lots of Whitethroats, 2 more Whinchats, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs and no 68) Common Redstart, only the second time seen here.....who needs to go to Seaford Head?!

Some nice movements in France and Sussex - Wheatear and Common Redstart are both species that I struggle to get in any given year, and have not so far this ...but best period for both is the next 3-4 weeks.

A bit of early autumn passage here, one ringtail Hen Harrier an unexpected August bird. Water Rail chicks still bleating away, and the Moorhens still present. Nutcrackers from the veranda a nice pleasure, little groups of them now roving.

One more mammal to add: Common Pipistrelle at dusk - new species for my land, mammal number 28.

119. Hen Harrier

Last edited:
At last!...at 7.10 am this morning just as the early sun kissed my neighbours Ash tree, a very brief Willow Warbler popped up atop said tree before making a sharp exit...no.67.

I'm sadly having to bow out of this thread for this year now as I leave the UK and head for a new life in Australia. I've ended up with just 57 species this year, and for the first time ever, no Cuckoo, Hobby or Whitethroat! Hopefully I will be able to build a more impressive total once I'm in Queensland!

I'm sadly having to bow out of this thread for this year now as I leave the UK and head for a new life in Australia. I've ended up with just 57 species this year, and for the first time ever, no Cuckoo, Hobby or Whitethroat! Hopefully I will be able to build a more impressive total once I'm in Queensland!

Sorry to see you go Tim and the best of luck in Queensland...Hopefully you can grip us all off ''Down Under'',and FWIW...I'm still waiting?...for both Whitethroats!

Cheers Ken :t:

Sorry to see you go Tim and the best of luck in Queensland...Hopefully you can grip us all off ''Down Under'',and FWIW...I'm still waiting?...for both Whitethroats!

Cheers Ken :t:

Yes, all the best Tim, and watch out for those spiders while you're feasting your eyes on Rainbow Lorikeets and the like!
Modelling myself on Captain Mainwaring, I was refusing to panic despite a second 'Yellow Wag plus Tree Pipit walk' in the nearby fields on Thursday, steadfastly standing like a stupid satue in the garden this morning for a good 30 minutes after dawn broke. Patience rewarded when two

90 Yellow Wagtail

flew over twice.

Not- a-cilla flava anywhere for me yet! :-C

:clap::clap:

No sign of them this morning Brenda, but a solitary Siskin was a slight surprise (though I think I read somewhere that they bred very successfully and early in Northern Europe this year, so have been turning up all over the place).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back