• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Nice action shot Brenda! Even in a flight photo I think you'd be able to see feathers covering the legs on a Rook, and the bill shape is more 'conical' (and it's pale of course). difficult on a still image, but Rooks always seem to me to have more 'swept back' wing shape when they're flying too. I'm pretty sure you've photographed a Carrion Crow on this occasion (I'd be jealous if it was a Rook, as I've never seen one up here, or a Jackdaw for that matter - I just have to be content with Nutcrackers and Ravens instead;)).
Saw a Common Swift yesterday, and another one this morning, very late for here, has anyone else seen Swift recently?

Nice action shot Brenda! Even in a flight photo I think you'd be able to see feathers covering the legs on a Rook, and the bill shape is more 'conical' (and it's pale of course). difficult on a still image, but Rooks always seem to me to have more 'swept back' wing shape when they're flying too. I'm pretty sure you've photographed a Carrion Crow on this occasion (I'd be jealous if it was a Rook, as I've never seen one up here, or a Jackdaw for that matter - I just have to be content with Nutcrackers and Ravens instead;)).

It looks like a Raven to me....that big hooter and the diamond shaped tail.

It looks like a Raven to me....that big hooter and the diamond shaped tail.

I wondered about that tail, then decided it's actually the right wing! That's the problem trying to id. birds from one in flight photograph, where are our resident garden list experts when we need them?

Autumn well under way now, flocks of Blue Tits moving south, a few Coal Tits and Great Tits also already moving. One late Lesser Spotted Eagle a couple of days back, also Marsh Harrier and Goshawk, and three notable additions - one Reed Warbler for a couple of days (a long awaited new species for my land - number 173), my second ever Little Crake (first in autumn) and, now a traditional feature of late August/early September, individual Red-footed Falcons on two dates.

121. Little Crake
122. Goshawk
123. Red-footed Falcon
124. Reed Warbler

Last edited:
For me - There would be two world ticks: Little Crake and Red-footed Falcon. And all four would be garden ticks...

And that Brendas Carrion Crow would be garden tick too... actually it would be country tick also (in Finland). Anyway, I can see Hooded Crows almost every time when I look out... 8-P

Nothing "to write home about" in our yard/garden, just the regulars: House Sparrows, House Finches, White-breasted Nuthatches, Black-capped Chickadees, Northern Cardinals and once in awhile European Starlings, House & Carolina Wrens, American Robin, Mourning Dove, Ruby-throated Hummingbird & Sharp-shinned Hawk.

An intermittent passage of finches of various kinds this morning - including five possible Common Crossbills - but too far to id for sure.

You're lucky H, I've just got intermittent rain showers and gales!

Being "almost" house bound by the inclement weather for the last three days, has given me a bout of frustration somewhat. With the rainfall steadily increasing this pm I re-stocked the feeders, all the usual "diners" availed themselves, and may have?..encouraged more Chiffy visits. It was whilst I was watching them tail pump through the Ivy hedge that no.70 popped it's head out...Firecrest!..this resulted in a "quick draw" with the camera, unfortunately I was too slow!...certainly not complaining though, better luck next time.

Last edited:
A cold, wet spell last week suddenly reminded the local birdlife of the treats to be found in our garden, and having seen not much more than blue tits, blackbirds, house sparrows and woodpigeon for a good few weeks, I suddenly found myself also looking out of the window at chaffinch, greenfinch, goldfinch, bullfinch, goldcrest, siskin, song thrush, blackcap, robins, dunnock, coal tit, great tit and long-tailed tit... all in one lunch hour! Autumn's coming!

For me - There would be two world ticks: Little Crake and Red-footed Falcon. And all four would be garden ticks...

And that Brendas Carrion Crow would be garden tick too... actually it would be country tick also (in Finland). Anyway, I can see Hooded Crows almost every time when I look out... 8-P

There are very often Carrion Crows here . I am just not very advanced at all in recognising or knowing the names of birds!
I hadnt heard of a Little Crake or Red-footed Falcon , am learning more nearly every day. Dont think going to see those in my garden .
This morning seen the first great tit in months ,usually see several every day from october to end march . It was looking happy on a red flowering tree- Lilac des Indes.

A lovely morning here and seen first great tit after some months ,they not in garden during summer. Had two very wet much colder days then yesterday it got back up to 26c in garden and with a hot wind . I still find that strange after all the time here , as of course wasnt something we had in Sussex!
Saw you had got bad weather Richard,hope its improving.

A lovely morning here and seen first great tit after some months ,they not in garden during summer. Had two very wet much colder days then yesterday it got back up to 26c in garden and with a hot wind . I still find that strange after all the time here , as of course wasnt something we had in Sussex!
Saw you had got bad weather Richard,hope its improving.

The weather is indeed very erratic, we also had a very warm wind blowing hard after the rain yesterday, today it's pouring down, a few Swallows are the only signs of migration I've managed to see. 4 Tree Pipits together yesterday, and I found two more Grasshopper Warblers on Tuesday around the field edges, but like most of us, I found myself going green with envy on reading of Jos' Little Crake and Red-footed Falcon sightings (a Reed Warbler would also be a garden tick for me here!).

I found myself going green with envy on reading of Jos' Little Crake and Red-footed Falcon sightings.

;)

One more Red-footed Falcon today, third in two weeks.

(very big influx into the country at present)

Also flocks and flocks of Great Tits streaming south, one lingering Red-backed Shrike. Nutcrackers now in decline (hazels mostly scoffed), only one today.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back