• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a neck strap that stretches? (1 Viewer)

NatureLvrCanada

I have the CL Pocket 8x25. I like to have the binocular sitting very high up the chest. I'm looking for a strap that will let it sit high up on the chest but allow me to stretch the strap to view. A strap that can stretch. Does anyone know if such a strap exists?

NLC,

Yes there are straps which will stretch. I use the Optec BinOp strap on some of my pockets. But to carry high and tight which like you I prefer, you have to cut the strap to shorten it, not a big deal. Based on what you say however, the Rick Young harness may better suit your purposes. It's a great accessory and I use it on my Zeiss VP 8x25 for example. Once you get familiar with it, it's really as easy to use as a strap and offers much more secure carry with just the right amount of stretch.

Mike

The best one is a harness that’s been posted on here before but I cannot remember its name. Maybe someone can help.

... or make one for yourself at a fraction of the cost.

RB
Ya know, thats basically true. Some bungee-like chord, a couple plastic pieces... Voila! Why not? But the thing only costs 25 bucks. Which bungee chord, with just the right dimensions and tension has been worked out. Its comfortable. It holds the binos where you want them and provides just enough tension when you grab and bring them to your eyes. Easy to get into. Easy to adjust. The few bits of hardware are cheap enough, but have been selected to work. It seems not too much to pay for the experimentation required to figure this system out.

My thanks to Chuck Hill for recommending these here, more than once....

I have the CL Pocket 8x25. I like to have the binocular sitting very high up the chest. I'm looking for a strap that will let it sit high up on the chest but allow me to stretch the strap to view. A strap that can stretch. Does anyone know if such a strap exists?
Though I'm a harness fan, I'm not sure a harness will carry the binos quite as high as you desire. Might be something to bear in mind.

For context see photo. The RYO harness can be adjusted to carry even higher than shown but the tension increases of course when you raise the bins to your eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Though I'm a harness fan, I'm not sure a harness will carry the binos quite as high as you desire. Might be something to bear in mind.
Can also be configured as a conventional 'strap' which can be adjusted to any length while still giving the required stretch.

RB

Just throwing my 2 cents in here for the Rick Young Harness! I hadn't been satisfied with any traditional strap I tried until I ran across the RYO harness. I picked it up in-store (Cabela's) for $20 and have really loved it! It's the endgame for me as far as my strap/harness setup goes! It's that good.

That's the one GT. Rick Young harness all the way. Thanks for the link.

Mike
I will have a look and may have to cut the strap A LOT so it hangs approximately just 5 inches below the collar bone. The strap will stretch when I bring it up to the eyes. And the strap will spring back to rest the binoculars. I don't need the harness part that wraps around the chest.

I plan to get the Swarovski CL Curio 7x21 next spring. Want to go very light.

I am not a harness fan :) The less weight and straps the better for me which is why I went for the Compact 8x25 CL Pocket. As mentioned, will buy CL Curio 7x21 next year.

Just ordered it and can't wait to try it out. I didn't know about this strap until the posts in the thread. Funny, if you think about something, chances are others have thought about it too and created exactly what you're looking for. :) I suppose you can cinch it all the way up to 5 inches below the collar bone or right up to your neck (not that I would do that but the strap is very adjustable). Since I do not need all that strap, I can cut it and tape or glue the ends together. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Last edited:
Just ordered it and can't wait to try it out. I didn't know about this strap until the posts in the thread. Funny, if you think about something, chances are others have thought about it too and created exactly what you're looking for. :) I suppose you can cinch it all the way up to 5 inches below the collar bone or right up to your neck (not that I would do that but the strap is very adjustable). Since I do not need all that strap, I can cut it and tape or glue the ends together. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Yeah I wound't cut it... the excess hangs on top of clothing and you never know the excess is there. Sometimes you'll have to loosen it dependent on how much clothing you have on...summer vs. winter.

I ordered the RY harness (keeping this one) but see that Bushnell also has a similar Ultra-Light harness that sells for a lot more.

I bought the Rick Young harness but after it arrived it was obvious that it would not be comfortable with heavy binos for an extended period of time. I modified an Op/Tech camera strap that is made from neoprene and both provides stretch for shock absorption and it is much less likely to slip off my shoulder when it is not around my neck.

I bought the Rick Young harness but after it arrived it was obvious that it would not be comfortable with heavy binos for an extended period of time. I modified an Op/Tech camera strap that is made from neoprene and both provides stretch for shock absorption and it is much less likely to slip off my shoulder when it is not around my neck.
I did read reviews where some users said the Bushnell was uncomfortable and the RY is a similar design. I think it may depend on your body type but I can see where a wider strap will dig in less than a narrow cord especially if it is a heavier binocular.

In my case, I'll be OK as the binocular is very light. I might try and McGyver a strap later on. Get the best of both worlds by using the original strap but attaching a stretchy part to it. We'll see how it all works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back