• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Still some good birds being seen, it has been an excellent year for many more common species as well as rarities, lots of Pied flycatchers, Wood annd Garden warblers, Golden orioles not to mention Rollers, Pallid harriers, Red-footed falcons and Lesser kestrels. A Caspian terrn has been seen and the Nightjars are now in, a bit late this year. I am going to North America for four weeks tomorrow so I hope the thread keeps going with news from both locals and visiting birders. I am sure I will see some great birds, mostly new to me, but I hope I don't miss too much in Mallorca! Mike

Good morning Mike
I was with rsdpam in Majorca recently and your mention of Pallid harriers being present caused us to recheck our photos. I have a couple of photos of a tired Harrier (F) sitting on a wall at S'Albufereta. Would it be possible for someone to take a look and advise us ?
Hope you have a good trip to North America... take care.

Fantastic directions - thanks! We had been looking further along the road and earlier evening. Found the tree and the crowd last night, but owl neither seen nor heard between 9 and 10. Three more nights left though, so will keep trying.

Sometimes we had to wait a little longer for the Owls, i know there were a couple of times when we were (quietly) talking to other birders that they didn't show up but when we were on our own we had them. I think they are a little sensitive to noise. We weren't noisy by any means but they did turn up once we were on our own and not talking. Hope you get them before you leave. I found them quite magical.

Hi jasmacq, there are many places you could post the photo, on here would hopefully get a response and the identification forum also on Birdforum would be good too. There was a tired bird seen on a post at Albufereta so you may be lucky, I hope so. Mike

Mike... thanks for that - photo posted in gallery as suggested, so I hope we will receive some expert opinion as to whether the bird is a female Pallid or Montague's harrier.
Re SCOPS OWL - Puerto Pollensa, we had a pair in the garden diagonally across the road from the front door of VILLA SINGALA HOTEL (towards the Pine Walk)

Mike
I researched Don Scott's HARRIERS, and on page 68 he states determining the difference between a female Pallid and Monty's Harrier is very difficult, but the difference can clearly be seen when perched. The wing of the Pallid is much shorter, and it falls short of the tail tip, whereas the Montys wing tip reaches the end of the tail… our bird is clearly a MONTAGUE'S (FEMALE )
Thanks

A few photos from our recent stay in Port de Pollenca

Had an excellent week with 130 birds 27/4 - 4/5. Here are a few photos.

Others on my flickr.

Richard Smith

Attachments

• Audouin's-Gull.jpg
    Audouin's-Gull.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Avocet-in-flight1.jpg
    Avocet-in-flight1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Griffon1.jpg
    Griffon1.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Kestrel1.jpg
    Kestrel1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Squacco-&-Purple-Heron.jpg
    Squacco-&-Purple-Heron.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 107
A few more photos

All photos taken on a Nikon D800 with Nikkor 80-400 VR lens

Attachments

• Purple-Heron1.jpg
    Purple-Heron1.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Raptor-Rage1.jpg
    Raptor-Rage1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Sheep-Egret.jpg
    Sheep-Egret.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 82
  • Wryneck1.jpg
    Wryneck1.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Egrets.jpg
    Egrets.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 81
Hi Rach

Unfortunately didn't see or hear the scops, despite staying in Pollensa Park for a week! We're presuming they stop calling when they have eggs, but not too sure on that. We heard them regularly when we were staying al Lluc, but didn't see any there either. We had a great time and saw lots of fantastic birds (118 species, 36 lifers) so very happy with that. Next time!

Regards
Maureen

Too Late !

How peeved am I.!
Just back from 2 weeks in Porto Pollenca (4th to 18th May) only to find out about this forum today.
It wasn't strictly a birding holiday but I did manage a couple of trips to s'albufera, a bike ride around the back of s'albufuretta, several trips up the Boquer and the track over to Cala St Vincente.
I was pleased with my 98 species (plus 2 heard (pheasant & wren !)

Highlights for me were

Bonelli's Eagle at Marrataxi on 14th
17 Honey Buzzards and 2 Black Vultures in one group together !! Going over Cala St Vincente on 16th
Caspian Tern along the front at Porto Pollenca on 17th
Golden Orioles 2 separate birds at Porto Pollenca on 5th and 7th
Wryneck at Boquer on 8th
3 Collared Pratincoles on 13th and 5 Curlew Sandpipers on. 7th at S'albufera
Melodious Warbler eating Mulberry type berries along entrance track at S'albufera on 13th
Gull billed Tern at S'albufera on 7th and 13th
9 species of heron including a Night Heron in the grounds of my hotel on several days(Duva, Porto Pollenca)
4 Wood Warblers in one tree together and 8 Whinchat at Es Gola on 6 th

Would have loved to have known about the Scops' while I was there.

Hi Rach

Unfortunately didn't see or hear the scops, despite staying in Pollensa Park for a week! We're presuming they stop calling when they have eggs, but not too sure on that. We heard them regularly when we were staying al Lluc, but didn't see any there either. We had a great time and saw lots of fantastic birds (118 species, 36 lifers) so very happy with that. Next time!

Regards
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I'm sorry you didn't get the Scop's Owl. Maybe you are right that they are less active when they are nesting. That would be interesting to know. At least you know where to go the next time you visit Mallorca. An amazing place I think.
Rach

Hi Robert

It sounds like a good trip none-the-less.

Caspian Tern is on the Balearic rarities list. If you can provide a description the details of where to send it are in the back of A birdng tourist's guide to Majorca.

It was a Mulberry tree that your Melodious Warbler was eating. Delicious!

There was a big migration of raptors over the Albercutx tower on 19 May, including an incredible minimum number of 489 Honey Buzzard!!

Oh to have been there!

Martin

Coming soon....

Will be staying around Campanet from this Sat. Are there any Pallids still around & what about Bonelli's? and can anyone recommend where to see LE Owl - I' ve heard they are not uncommon.
Andrew

Pallid Swifts may be seen around Porto Colom- I have seen them in s'Algar bay in the past. Hearl also suggests looking down from the tourist mirador where all the coaches stop near the Albercutx tower going from Port de Pollenca towards Formentor. HTH- Hugh Matthews

Hi Andrew,
Looking at the rare birds in Spain web site there have been no recent reports of Pallids. As for Bonelli's I'm unsure of their summer status. If you do hear of or find any I would be interested to know. I am arriving on the 9th for 10 days.

According to the Birding tourist's guide to Majorca - Bonnelli's are resident but rare with less than 10 individuals, whilst Pallid Harrier are down in Hearl as vagrant.
I'm there from the 14th June for 2 weeks

Pallid swift are reasonably common in Mallorca, most coastal locations with suitable rocky areas will pay off, certainly in the south there are breeding pairs all along the coastline, I have seen many from a boat trip. Porto Colom is reliable but Mondrago is too, walk down the left hand side of the first beach, font n'alis, and they are breeding in the small cave which will be obvious. You can also walk Parc Mondrago at the same time which is a good area for Tawny Pipit, Woodchat, Stone Curlew and Nightjar in the evenings. Long-eared owl too. Bonelli's Eagles were very rare indeed but there has been a re-introduction programme and several of these birds can be seen wandering the Island. There has also been a first for Mallorca, an American Golden Plover, seen at Salobrar de Campos.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back