• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

Great views of two Eleonora's at Formentor this moring, until some people went down the path to the cove beneath the cilff.

Maybe coindidence, but that changed the bahaviour of the birds, They stayed low over the cove rather than flying high on hunting forays. I'm thinking they might have been defending territory.

Giving it another try tomorrow.

I can't load photos on this computer - a pity.

Salobrar de Campos today, 18 Flamingos, 20 Wood sandpipers, male Montagu's and a possible Caspian gull. It will be looked for tomorrow and photographed if it shows. It is only a "possible" though. Mike

Back to Formentor this morning, half an hour earlier than yesterday hoping for a repeat of yesterday's show.

Well they say no two days are alike and how true that is. After about 10 minutes an Eleonora's appeared slightly below us and rose on a thermal (annoyingly up sun). Just as I thought it would come over us it swung through 180 degrees. decided to head off on a mission and started off north in Flapping flight.

Another hour and a half and no further sightings of either it or its mate. A falcon seen rising below cliff level after an hour turned out to be a kestrel.

Better luck next time.

Three distant Eleonoras over Cala Boquer about mid-day.

Last edited:
A good day at s'Albufera today with Phil. A male Montagu's harrier, lots of Marsh harrier, 3 Bee-eaters, Marbled duck with young, Wood, Green and Common sandpipers, Common tern breeding, 3 Squacco and 5 Purple heron, Cattle and Little egrets, Booted eaagle, Stone curlew, Nightingale,Fan-tailed, Cetti's and Sardinian warblers. Mike

A good day at s'Albufera today with Phil. A male Montagu's harrier, lots of Marsh harrier, 3 Bee-eaters, Marbled duck with young, Wood, Green and Common sandpipers, Common tern breeding, 3 Squacco and 5 Purple heron, Cattle and Little egrets, Booted eaagle, Stone curlew, Nightingale,Fan-tailed, Cetti's and Sardinian warblers. Mike

Some great birds there,Mike.A few of them,when I visit next month would be a good way to start my holiday.

A very long walk today in the midday sun, ("only mad dogs and Englishmen") from the Cap de Ses Salines going east. After about two plus kilometers I found a breeding pair of Rock sparrows. I don't think they have ever been recorded there so it is great news. A welcome addition to my "Big Year" list too! Mike

My sum total of pine marten sightings before this month was one - a very flat roadkill on the Pollenca road from the turn-off off the Palma - Alcudia road in 2002.

That has changed. A week past Sunday I came across a slightly less flat roadkill near the Roman bridge on the run to Cuber and last Thursday yet another dead one about 4km out or Polllenca on the same road.

Revised sum total; 3, all dead.

Today I finally saw a live one. Leaving Port de Pollenca on the bypass on the way to Formentor one ran across the road in front of my car just after the last roundabout.

I managed to upload an image of one of the Formentor Eleonoras from last week onto my wife's notebook. It can't handle the RAW images, but I managed an edit of one of the small thumbnail jpegs. The quality's maybe not what it would be from a RAW edit and I'm far from certain of the colour callibration of this machine, but it's better than nowt.

Attachments

• eleonora-002-web-copy.jpg
    eleonora-002-web-copy.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Not much to report as its just too hot to walk far. I did spend an hour or so at S'Albufera in a hide that was hotter than a furnace! The usual suspects and a marsh harrier. We did walk as far as the dam at Cuber but saw nothing! Again it was far too warm for comfort. The plan for today was to walk the Boquer valley before the sun got too high but a late night last night put the lid on that idea.
Hope to get back to S'Albufera before we head home. Note to self, come here before June or after September if you want to see plenty of birds.
Pete

Cracking Shot!

My sum total of pine marten sightings before this month was one - a very flat roadkill on the Pollenca road from the turn-off off the Palma - Alcudia road in 2002.

That has changed. A week past Sunday I came across a slightly less flat roadkill near the Roman bridge on the run to Cuber and last Thursday yet another dead one about 4km out or Polllenca on the same road.

Revised sum total; 3, all dead.

Today I finally saw a live one. Leaving Port de Pollenca on the bypass on the way to Formentor one ran across the road in front of my car just after the last roundabout.

I managed to upload an image of one of the Formentor Eleonoras from last week onto my wife's notebook. It can't handle the RAW images, but I managed an edit of one of the small thumbnail jpegs. The quality's maybe not what it would be from a RAW edit and I'm far from certain of the colour callibration of this machine, but it's better than nowt.

Thanks Craig

I went back a couple of times last week, but the views were distant with the birds staying low, maybe the wind was slightly different.

A couple of days ago I got good views just as I was about to leave after two and a half hours of occasional distant views when a falcon came close and I rattled off a few more shots. Another falcon was maddeningly low over the road on the last couple of hairpins before Port de Pollenca, but there was nowhere to stop.

That's the lot for this trip, I'm afraid. As of yesterday morning it's turned into a relaxing sea and sand holiday. It was cloudy this morning so we had a look around the Roman ruins in Alcudia. The reason for this relaxation is a birdless trip along the Boquer yesterday morning, which was curtailed when my foot rolled on a stone and my 400mm lens took a whack against a rock as I stumbled. It now comes in two easily assembled parts.

Insurance calls.

Fortunately I'd got most of the shots I wanted for the trip and there's only a couple of days left.

Last edited:
Bugger that's bad news..
Thanks Craig

I went back a couple of times last week, but the views were distant with the birds staying low, maybe the wind was slightly different.

A couple of days ago I got good views just as I was about to leave when a falcon came close and i rattled off a few more shots. Another falcon was maddeningly low over the road on the last couple of hairpins before Port de Pollenca, but there was nowhere to stop.

Tha./t's the lot for this trip, I'm afraid. As of yesterday morning it's turned into a relaxing sea and sand holiday. It was cloudy this morning so we had a look around the Roman ruins in Alcudia. The reason for this relaxation is a birdless trip along the Boquer yesterday morning, which was curtailed when my foot rolled on a stone and my 400mm lens took a whack against a rock as I stumbled. It now comes in two easily assembled parts.

Insurance calls.

A walk today in the Santa Ponça area produced seven Long-tailed tits, a very difficult bird to see here, only the second ones I have ever seen in Mallorca. Made my day. It is hot though. Mike

Hi Mike

If the tourist weather forecast is correct - about the same as here in London -- but I guess it's a lot warmer there in the sun -- but its even hotter here in the tube!!

I'm looking forward to a few weeks in Mallorca this September, hopefully four if things go to plan.

Best wishes

Martin

I don't miss the tube Martin. We are here all September so I hope we can meet up. The birding will be hotting up and thankfully the weather will be cooling down! Mike

Cúber Reservoir today: At least 30 Black vultures, over 20 Griffon vultures, 3 Booted eagles, 3 Kestrels, 3 Eleanora's falcons, 4 Red kite, 2 Moltoni's warblers, 2 Tawny pipits, 11 Sardinian warblers, Crossbill, Nightingale, Crag martin and 12 Blue tits. Take plenty of water! Mike

How easy is it to separate Moltonis from Subalp in the field Mike?

Cúber Reservoir today: At least 30 Black vultures, over 20 Griffon vultures, 3 Booted eagles, 3 Kestrels, 3 Eleanora's falcons, 4 Red kite, 2 Moltoni's warblers, 2 Tawny pipits, 11 Sardinian warblers, Crossbill, Nightingale, Crag martin and 12 Blue tits. Take plenty of water! Mike

Hi Craig, we were only talking about that today. I will try to find a link for you and post it, it is a very good report from a local birder and I think it was on Birdforum. The general rule too is that Sub-alpine pass through the Island in early spring and before Moltoni's which come later and stay to breed so if you see a breeding pair they are most likely to be Moltoni's but I will link the ket ID features if I can find it. Mike

Hi Mike

Has there been any sign of Spectacled W or Rock Thrush at Cuber this year ?

Many thanks - Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back