• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (1 Viewer)

It states the S'Albufera Reserve Is open from 9am until 6pm.Is that for the Information Centre or for the Reserve In general ?

Would prefer to visit the Reserve early morning but If 9am are the rules,then they have to be obeyed.

Thanks Mike all good stuff, learning something new everyday, that's the beauty of this hobby, although it would be easier to stick with 1 species.. ;-)

Hi Craig, we were only talking about that today. I will try to find a link for you and post it, it is a very good report from a local birder and I think it was on Birdforum. The general rule too is that Sub-alpine pass through the Island in early spring and before Moltoni's which come later and stay to breed so if you see a breeding pair they are most likely to be Moltoni's but I will link the ket ID features if I can find it. Mike

Ben I believe if you visit the day before you can get an early pass for the rest of the week? Mike will correct me if im wrong.

It states the S'Albufera Reserve Is open from 9am until 6pm.Is that for the Information Centre or for the Reserve In general ?

Would prefer to visit the Reserve early morning but If 9am are the rules,then they have to be obeyed.

Yes, exactly right, you can get a late/early pass from the information centre which will allow access at all times. I did get stopped once so it is important to get it. Mike

With regard to Rock thrush and Spectacled warbler we spent over seven hours there yesterday but sadly did not see either. Rock thrush are best seen in spring displaying over the quarry and Spectacled warbler are usually in the valley behind the refuge hut. We had no luck yesterday and I don't know of any sightings this year. They may both be there but they are very hard to catch up with. Spectacled warbler can also be seen in autumn from the dam. Mike

Walked the Boquer valley today and managed Balaeric warbler, cirl bunting, greenfinch, crag and house martins plus some very accommodating spotted fly catchers, a family group of which posed well for my camera. I did see one lone large dark raptor which beyond being "eagle like" I was unable to identify.

Homeward bound Monday, Pete

Last edited:
I have had a request from a birder, who is visiting Menorca in September, for information about where to go on the Island and likely sightings. I have never been there and know very little about good places for birding there. Could anybody please help? Thanks, Mike

Hi Craig, I have just read back on some old threads re: Moltoni's warbler and I thought a comment on the call was useful: a "trrrr" rather like a Wren! I hope this helps. Mike

Thanks Pete. It would help to know where exactly where you saw it so I can have another go! Mike

Mike, it was in amongst the small pines on the left (south east) of the path, going clockwise around the loop, about three quarters of the way between the car park & the corner before the dam - i.e.. about 200-300m before the dam. Pete.

It's nice to be back on my own computer.

I had expected to see Balearic warbler at Albercutx failry easily as I had done on my past couple of visits in summer, but failed. I thought I heard what might have been one at Formentor when I was photographing Eleonora's, but the only warblers that put in an appearance that morning were a family of Sardinians. The call I heard but failed to see what caused it wasn't one of those. I'm not altogether sure what a Balearic sounds like, though.

The start of the Boquer also failed to deliver at a spot where I've had them show well in the past, but further on I finally got lucky with a very confiding pair. One of them even sat on a small branch (not the branch in the photo) in the open about 10 yards away preening for over 5 minutes in the time we watched them.

If only I'd left it at that and resisted the temptation to go back for another look on Wednesday (and dipping) I would still have had a working lens.

Attachments

• Balearic-Warbler-(10)-web.jpg
    Balearic-Warbler-(10)-web.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 78
wow
It's nice to be back on my own computer.

I had expected to see Balearic warbler at Albercutx failry easily as I had done on my past couple of visits in summer, but failed. I thought I heard what might have been one at Formentor when I was photographing Eleonora's, but the only warblers that put in an appearance that morning were a family of Sardinians. The call I heard but failed to see what caused it wasn't one of those. I'm not altogether sure what a Balearic sounds like, though.

The start of the Boquer also failed to deliver at a spot where I've had them show well in the past, but further on I finally got lucky with a very confiding pair. One of them even sat on a small branch (not the branch in the photo) in the open about 10 yards away preening for over 5 minutes in the time we watched them.

If only I'd left it at that and resisted the temptation to go back for another look on Wednesday (and dipping) I would still have had a working lens.

Another of one of the Formentor birds. This one from Tuesday. I was just about to give up after more than a couple of hours of none to moderate views when one decided to play the game. I'd announced 'ten more minutes and we're off' when this turned up after nine minutes.

We stayed another ten.

Edit. Also one of the warblers scratching its head, having a bit of a think.

Attachments

• IMG_3371-web.jpg
    IMG_3371-web.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Balearic-Warbler-(27)-web.jpg
    Balearic-Warbler-(27)-web.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I have had a request from a birder, who is visiting Menorca in September, for information about where to go on the Island and likely sightings. I have never been there and know very little about good places for birding there. Could anybody please help? Thanks, Mike

I think, Es Grau and some beaches with cliffs, like Cala d´en Bou are good places for birdwatching. Menorca is a grait place and unknown for birdwatching.

Regards,
Pablo
www.birdwatchingmallorca.com

Son Bou reedbeds for purple heron and I saw a purple gallinule there with young when I was last on the island in 2005. It takes a bit of luck to see anything though, because the reedbed is large and dense with no real open stretches.

I'd recommend Cala Galdana for certain. The bay has Audouin's gull and regular parties of alpine swift in the late afternoon. The start of the Algandar gorge has reedbeds that hold purple heron, water rail, fan-tailed warbler, and that's where I first saw moustached warbler.

Further into the gorge is a great place for Egyptian vulture in mid morning as they leave their roosts. Also it's host to woodchat shrike and bee-eaters and overflights by booted eagle.

The farmed land above the gorge has Thekla lark, short-toed lark and hoopoes.

In the north of the island the back road and track leading from Es Mercadal to Cala Tirant is good for red kite, Egyptian vulture, bee-eater, turtle dove and the marshy dunes behind the beach at Cala Tirant are good for tawny pipit and green sandpiper.

Evenings on the nearby Cavalleria peninsula are good for stone curlew.

S'albufera d'es Grau has little and black-necked grebes and I've seen squacco heron and night heron there.

If anything else comes to mind I'll post it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back