• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (5 Viewers)

In view of the reports from the Albufera I changed my plans and headed that way. In the event neither I nor any other birders present could find any of the rarities present earlier. Disappointing to say the least.

As usual though there was plenty to enjoy. I heard then saw a Reed Bunting on the walk down to the centre. Going on bill size this was almost certainly the winter-visiting schoeniclus race, rather than the resident but scarcer witherbyi.

The Pacific Golden Plover was still between the two Sa Roca hides, although when everything was spooked by the ponies it flew to the other end of the Sa Roca pool. Also at Sa Roca there was Greenshank, Redshank and Black-tailed Godwit.

At Es Cibollar I there was a Little Stint, several Flamingoes and a fine adult Lesser Black-backed Gull. Es Cibollar II added Purple Heron and Great White Egret, with many more Black-winged Stilts, Spotted Redshanks and Greenshanks. On my walk back out there were two Eleanora’s Falcons hawking over the reeds.

I went on to Es Blanquer, near Maria de La Salut. There was a lot of Black Vulture action, with two juveniles at the roadside and later four more together in the air. There were at least six Red Kites and two Booted Eagles, and several Kestrels, but I couldn’t find any Lesser Kestrels.

A Short-toed Lark flew past calling and landed in the middle of a roadside cultivated field. The day’s highlight was a female Vagrant Emperor dragonfly which did several passes along the road where I was standing.

I finished my day at Es Forcadet / Cami des Pols. Two Whinchats were along the track, and at least eleven Violet Dropwing dragonflies were along the dyke to the second sluice. There were also three or four ovipositing pairs of Lesser Emperors. A Keeled Skimmer was at the second sluice and a few Blue-tailed Damselflies were along the water’s edge. Then it clouded over and things quietened considerably.

Stew

Attachments

• 8BBAE52C-EDDE-4C14-9612-1B9E6BBE981D.jpeg
    8BBAE52C-EDDE-4C14-9612-1B9E6BBE981D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 8828989B-6B24-4573-B0FE-6CDA7A515C1F.jpeg
    8828989B-6B24-4573-B0FE-6CDA7A515C1F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 4CCD85E1-F954-4737-AB78-736B92BB9E47.jpeg
    4CCD85E1-F954-4737-AB78-736B92BB9E47.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 7B0B1290-E749-4117-B89C-B9FBADB0B82B.jpeg
    7B0B1290-E749-4117-B89C-B9FBADB0B82B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 82B9214E-720D-4614-91F9-D231C777895C.jpeg
    82B9214E-720D-4614-91F9-D231C777895C.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 21AE3667-D351-4864-90A1-F20B8446E11A.jpeg
    21AE3667-D351-4864-90A1-F20B8446E11A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 8331DA5B-4FB6-40A2-A082-30568169C9EC.jpeg
    8331DA5B-4FB6-40A2-A082-30568169C9EC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
A very productive morning at the Cap this morning.
I got there early and the wind was very strong, with salt-spray covering the optics all the time.
Along came derban who joined me and we saw a male Marsh harrier leave together with a Honey buzzard. There was also an immature Montagu’s harrier knocking around.
I’m sure derban has some photos which I hope he can post.
Phil G appeared and some more raptors came to the coast but nearly all had a change of heart once they saw the conditions. One poor Eleonora’s falcon was flapping away like mad but going backwards!
Phil A and Geordie David like, joined us.
We quickly decided to go inland which was a big mistake.
Local boy Adolfo arrived and stayed. He saw a group of 13 Marsh harrier leave and a group of 12 Honey buzzard too. Others went through as well. In fact, he is still posting messages as I write.
I will post totals later.
He saw at least 6 more Honey buzzard, lots of kestrel and Eleonora’s plus 4 or more Hobby.
All the Brits headed for the salt pans but as I forgot my wellies, I made my excuses and stayed for a while. I saw 3 more Honey buzzard and 2 Hobby.
The others will want to post later so I will leave it to them to fill in the gaps.
Hopefully, there are some photos available, mine really are too dreadful.
Mike

This morning Mrs B and I set out before breakfast to walk the Bocquer Valley. Not much happened on the way out, although I did hear two Blue Rock Thrushes singing from the western slopes, along with lots of noise from Sardinian Warblers.

At the far end I spent a few minutes in an unsuccessful attempt to find Balearic Warblers. There was a steady movement of Swallows into the valley, and a couple of nervy Blackbirds could have been new in. There were three Eleanora’s Falcons above the western ridge at the far end - they may have been the two adults and juvenile that I saw from the other side on the Fishermen’s Walk on Monday. A flock of 14 Ravens passed overhead kronking away. On the way back there was a Redstart and some calling Corn Buntings near the finca. Then it was a walk to the seafront for a well-earned breakfast!

Later I went along to the Cami Volantina to check out the dragonflies. It was pretty good as usual with 7+ Violet Dropwings, a few Broad Scarlets, Keeled Skimmers and Common Darters. There were quite a few Lesser Emperors (including at least two ovipositing pairs), a male and a couple of ovipositing female Emperors, and a Norfolk Hawker. A sprinkling of Blue-tailed were the only damselflies on show.

A Kingfisher flashed through while I was watching the dragonflies, a Nightingale was in sub-song across the stream, a trickle of swifts were moving through overhead and an adult Woodchat Shrike was in trees across the road.

Stew

Attachments

• 2202B5E9-67D8-4DB7-8E89-4DE6D62B1C0D.jpeg
    2202B5E9-67D8-4DB7-8E89-4DE6D62B1C0D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • EA5AA3CA-488E-4B99-A5AC-1ECDE0FEA37C.jpeg
    EA5AA3CA-488E-4B99-A5AC-1ECDE0FEA37C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 099C3FB9-7298-4BD0-BF8C-AADBA185787B.jpeg
    099C3FB9-7298-4BD0-BF8C-AADBA185787B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • D88C92CC-EFF9-4150-A9E3-DB33A51C5348.jpeg
    D88C92CC-EFF9-4150-A9E3-DB33A51C5348.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • AC4F3FFD-91A9-4AF9-AB64-13F156215A75.jpeg
    AC4F3FFD-91A9-4AF9-AB64-13F156215A75.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
A very productive morning at the Cap this morning.
I got there early and the wind was very strong, with salt-spray covering the optics all the time.
Along came derban who joined me and we saw a male Marsh harrier leave together with a Honey buzzard. There was also an immature Montagu’s harrier knocking around.
I’m sure derban has some photos which I hope he can post.
Phil G appeared and some more raptors came to the coast but nearly all had a change of heart once they saw the conditions. One poor Eleonora’s falcon was flapping away like mad but going backwards!
Phil A and Geordie David like, joined us.
We quickly decided to go inland which was a big mistake.
Local boy Adolfo arrived and stayed. He saw a group of 13 Marsh harrier leave and a group of 12 Honey buzzard too. Others went through as well. In fact, he is still posting messages as I write.
I will post totals later.
He saw at least 6 more Honey buzzard, lots of kestrel and Eleonora’s plus 4 or more Hobby.
All the Brits headed for the salt pans but as I forgot my wellies, I made my excuses and stayed for a while. I saw 3 more Honey buzzard and 2 Hobby.
The others will want to post later so I will leave it to them to fill in the gaps.
Hopefully, there are some photos available, mine really are too dreadful.
Mike
I enjoyed it too, I could gain a sense of the excitement of migration with birds weighing up whether to go south or not, with streams of swallows going anyway, and I was pleased to bag three year ticks with the Montagu's harrier, the frustrated Eleonora's falcon and the honey buzzard. But I really did go home too soon, not only missing great birds but also Phil's flapjacks! Photos are not great but I'll post anyway.

Mallorca20230921-3-2-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230921-29-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230921-50-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230921-69-DNG_DxO.jpgMallorca20230921-130-DNG_DxO.jpg

After leaving Mike M at passatge 5 and the Cap the 2 Phil’s and I went to Eddies Track. This is just about passable without wellies but very slippy and muddy in places. There are around 100 flamingo on the ponds to which we added common, wood and green sandpiper, 4 ruff, common and spotted redshank, around a dozen spotted redshank, dunlin and a single avocet. We had several marsh harriers in the air and a single Osprey. We then moved on to the Es Trenc road where we noted the various parking areas have all been roped off. We did manage to find a parking place and spent the next half hour scanning the shallow ponds. We found 20 avocets, several dunlin and little stints and a single sanderling, not an easy bird to see in Mallorca. 28°, no biting insects, good company and good to be back on the island. I’m here for another 3+ weeks and with the summer temperatures easing looking forward to getting out every day.

Finally, a day out on my own and a trip north to Son Real. Popped into Son Bosc to see if there was anything around the pools. A Greenshank and several Common Sands along with around 25 Little Grebe, but not much else. Driving out i came across a flock of Goldfinch which had a Warbler mixed in with them. My initial thoughts were Willow Warbler but on closer inspection on photos the bill just looked to big. Had it been brown I'd have said Reed. I'll try and post a photo later.
On to Son Real, and an hour in the hide became frustrating with loads of Goldfinch in the trees but nothing drinking. Then, as I was packing up tk leave there was a sudden influx of birds to the pool side, Crossbill and Linnet joins the Goldies, and Greenfinch in the trees. Also a very brown Warbler was seen flitting about the in the trees, I put it down as a Chiffchaff, but like the earlier bird I'm not convinced as it was very brown. Possibly a Cetti's.
The walk to the beach was almost birdless bar Med Fly's, as was the walk back, but on the beach I found Thekla's Lark, a very confiding juv Woodchat Shrike, a Wheatear and a life tick, a Tawney Pipit. On the sea edge were Kentish Plover, Shag, a couple of Audoun's Gull and a Turnstone.
Finally a quick run down to 16 Pins for the Spotless Starlings, another lifer. Thanks for the info re here.

Willow Warbler or something more exciting, at Son Bosc this morning? For me the bird itself looks too big and the bill is too large, but then I usually only separate them from Chiffchaff in the spring when they are singing. Not the best of images I'm afraid, download from camera to phone then cropped.

Attachments

• 20230922_000212.jpg
    20230922_000212.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 30
I just don’t know about the harrier derban.
I saw a male Marsh harrier at first light, and in all the gloom, there was a light grey harrier as well which I put down as a Montagu’s harrier.
My photos are dreadful but there definitely was a Montagu’s/Pallid harrier as well.
I will keep looking and seek the opinions of others.
I hope you ticked it in pencil, you might need a rubber.
Mike

I have a photograph of a first-year Montagu’s as well, so that’s a definite.
It was very gloomy and difficult to get decent photos but I will keep at it and see what transpires.
Mike

I fiddled with the photo a bit, hope you don’t mind.
With 5 visible primaries, I think it’s the male Marsh harrier.
Mike
Yes, you got a lot of detail out of that, I agree entirely, see the photo I have cribbed from Europe's Birds:

Attachments

• harrier.jpg
    harrier.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back