• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monoculars (5 Viewers)

galwayguy

I currently carry an Opticron Gallery Scope. It's handy as an edc & discreet. But it has a very sensitive focus & isn't good in anything other than bright conditions.

So I am looking for an 8x20 or 8x25. Any thoughts or recommendations ?

I currently carry an Opticron Gallery Scope. It's handy as an edc & discreet. But it has a very sensitive focus & isn't good in anything other than bright conditions.

So I am looking for an 8x20 or 8x25. Any thoughts or recommendations ?

We picked up an 8 x 20 HD job from an RSPB shop a couple of weeks ago. They were also selling Viking models which were very much larger. The RSPB one is tiny and so far we're very happy with it. Comes with a nice neat little carry case but only a wrist strap which was a potential deal breaker for me. Fortunately I found that I had a neck strap with the same fitting so problem solved.
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/rspb-8-...VhbRBHkpaeZJlK5nUFxyYoSfAQztdXiej4aAjN48P8HAQ

We picked up an 8 x 20 HD job from an RSPB shop a couple of weeks ago. They were also selling Viking models which were very much larger. The RSPB one is tiny and so far we're very happy with it. Comes with a nice neat little carry case but only a wrist strap which was a potential deal breaker for me. Fortunately I found that I had a neck strap with the same fitting so problem solved.
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/rspb-8-...VhbRBHkpaeZJlK5nUFxyYoSfAQztdXiej4aAjN48P8HAQ
What' the focus system is it slide up? The E.R is enough for glasses?

What' the focus system is it slide up? The E.R is enough for glasses?

No, it's the usual helical focus and about 50 per cent of the barrel is the focussing part. Which means that you can either twist the knurled section (the lower half) to focus, or if you prefer you can hold that section and twist the rest of the body - hope that makes sense! I wear glasses and have no problem with the eye relief. I have to say that the monocular is surprisingly easy to use and makes (in my view) a very viable alternative to bins...

Had the Opticron, got a Specwell 8x20 and it's similar but better. Smaller, lighter, less glare, less edge distortion.

My Optima 6x16 is easier than either to handle with it's wider 10 deg fov and less shake and more dof but obviously it isn't a low light performer either. Has less magnification but is even more pocketable and shows pretty much the same detail almost, just from further back.

I still prefer small bins though. I have the RSPB 8x20 HD bin which has extremely clear and sharp optics so I expect the monocular version is good but it's still not going to be something for low light use and you forgo the extreme close focus

If you want low light use then you will have to go larger maybe to something like a 7x25 or 8x30 Specwell or there are plenty of cheap 6x30's but not so pocketable so you have to choose. Pocketability or low light performance.

Your Gallery scope is somewhere in between so maybe best stick with that or upgrade to the Specwell but it's not a huge improvement although I certainly prefer it to the Opticron

Had the Opticron, got a Specwell 8x20 and it's similar but better. Smaller, lighter, less glare, less edge distortion.

My Optima 6x16 is easier than either to handle with it's wider 10 deg fov and less shake and more dof but obviously it isn't a low light performer either. Has less magnification but is even more pocketable and shows pretty much the same detail almost, just from further back.

I still prefer small bins though. I have the RSPB 8x20 HD bin which has extremely clear and sharp optics so I expect the monocular version is good but it's still not going to be something for low light use and you forgo the extreme close focus

If you want low light use then you will have to go larger maybe to something like a 7x25 or 8x30 Specwell or there are plenty of cheap 6x30's but not so pocketable so you have to choose. Pocketability or low light performance.

Your Gallery scope is somewhere in between so maybe best stick with that or upgrade to the Specwell but it's not a huge improvement although I certainly prefer it to the Opticron

What about 8x32 opticron monocular Clive and have you try 7x25 Specwell?

What about 8x32 opticron monocular Clive and have you try 7x25 Specwell?

Sorry haven't come across either of those. I just keep a few of the small monocs. It's bins for me for anything larger as a compact bin is basically not much larger than the larger monocs and I have larger bins for lower light use.

7x18 bins like my Carson Mini Scout are excellent for a small light pocket bins I have found or even the Carson 8x22 Scout for more range and still under200 grams I think. I did though need to file the focus wheels on both to make them shorter so I could get my eyes close in to get the full views.

I also got a Pentax 8x20 DCF ED recently and it is lovely colour and contrast wise but it doesn't like sun very much with to much glare and side light affecting it outdoors (not so much with the Carsons) but it's really beautiful to use for the garden. Actually it's a bit similar to the Specwell 8x20 colour wise but the Specwell lacks the contrast of the Pentax.

Apparently the Vixen are another good monoc but again I have not tried those.

Personally I'm hoping someday for something like the Carsons with the Pentax colour and contrast but for now I find the Carsons the most effective genuinely light and compact bins. Not good on eye relief but I don't wear glasses and I love the wide angle viewing with them. Not a replacement for larger bins but at least effective when you want something small, light and compact and they happen to be very cheap also but the viewing to cost ratio is very high especially outdoors where other compacts can fall down like my Pentax 8x20 ED.

I'd say keep the Opticron and try one of the Carsons.

Last edited:
Was looking for a new smaller backpack for going on short cycles, I had bought a larger one recently (am still using the old one) and when I was looking at it again just now discovered it included a little pouch separately, I think for a small phone. Turns out it fits my 8x20 monoc and easily just Velcro's onto one of the belt loops ( the pouch has a little Velcro strap sewn onto the back of it) on my jeans without having to mess around removing the belt etc. and so light you really wouldn't know it was there.

Unfortunately it doesn't fit my small 8x20 bins but probably would fit a larger 8x30 or so monoc so I may look into that though I think the Specwell 8x20 will do for now as it seems fairly effective. Going 8x30 would just be for more luxury of the view which is a nice thing to have. An 8x30 monoc is a lot smaller than an 8x30 bin after all.

I will admit that half of my Kowa 8x32 SV bins would make a great monoc so something like that maybe?

I'll see how I go with is 8x20 first as I haven't had it out much do date. Previously I was just cycling along with them dangling around my neck using the long lanyard that they come with and which is very useful also.

Just discovered also that a little nylon strip with velcroed ends also comes with the backpack ( wondered what that was for? ) and I just tried it with some of the Carson binocular pouches but I think actually putting them onto the actual belt is needed there as they are a bit heavier but the 8x20 monoc and the little phone pouch works really very well and so simple. I need to look into this kind of stuff a bit more I think.

Last evening I went out on the bike to a nearby pond with just my 10x25 bins on a neck strap around my neck and popped into a breast pocket of my polo shirt (neck strap tucked under the collar) and this worked very well. No lens caps or pouch to deal with and if they fell out of my pocket (they didn't) then the neck strap was there for insurance. Unfortunately the sun gave my small bins something of a hard time mainly side light interfering with the eyepieces a lot. Objective glare not really a problem so good bins in that regard but in general a struggle for usability in the sunny conditions so I need something better to deal with that. My Pentax 8x20 ED are even worse than the 10x25. From indoors or non-sunny outdoors they both work great but I do like to be out in the sun whenever we get some here and we've had a bout two weeks solid so far. Very unusual but fantastic.

Last night a song thrush landed on a telegraph pole right beside me when at the pond and I got the full concerto front row. Nice.

Last edited:
Get a Docter 8x21 monocular. Best monocular I have ever used. More compact than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8pJQwTuOI

I have read the reviews but they would need to be good at that price :)

Has anyone compared the Opticron 8x30 waterproof to the Gallery Scope - one of the main problems I have with the Gallery Scope is brightness so I am guessing that going up 10 mm would help.

I note that Opticron do a 8x30 waterproof & a 8x32. Seems strange to have them so similar - anyone know the differences ?

I have read the reviews but they would need to be good at that price :)

Has anyone compared the Opticron 8x30 waterproof to the Gallery Scope - one of the main problems I have with the Gallery Scope is brightness so I am guessing that going up 10 mm would help.

I note that Opticron do a 8x30 waterproof & a 8x32. Seems strange to have them so similar - anyone know the differences ?
Nice thing about the Docter is it is a porro design so it is bright and sharp and it folds. Because of the folding design it is more compact than most and because of the shape you can hold it steadier in your hands. I have seen them for about $130 if you watch Ebay. They are very James Bondish.

Last edited:
Plus 1 on the Docter, first rate! Add the diopter attachments and you also have a first rate hand lens. They used to sell a little stand to make a mini microscope but I haven't seen one lately.

Last edited:
Nice thing about the Docter is it is a porro design so it is bright and sharp and it folds. Because of the folding design it is more compact than most and because of the shape you can hold it steadier in your hands. I have seen them for about $130 if you watch Ebay. They are very James Bondish.

The ones that I have seen on ebay are double that price & three times the price of the Opticron 8x30. The Doctor is much smaller but the Opticron is waterproof & rubberised etc.

Anyone tried the Vortex Solo 8x25 ? Good reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Solo-Waterproof-Monocular/dp/B002OD7Z36

Last edited:
Had a Helios 8x21 folder and wasn't a fan. To fiddly and I liked not having to fold out "normal" monocs before I could use them such as my 6x16 Specwells.

The other thing I didn't like about it was it had no eyelet to attach a neck lanyard. When on the go this is very handy and Specwell supply a good one with their monocs.

Here's an 8x30 Specwell going for a decent price at the moment if you make an offer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specwell-...004682?hash=item3ac0fe74ca:g:i~EAAOSwGYVXBQyl

I want it myself but I'm strapped and it is a bit big at about 13cm long but certainly should sort the low light use issue. It's seems to have an 8.5 deg fov which is fantastic, a big view.

I find it strange that Specwell are a disability aids manufacturer. I wonder how it would stand up to typical field use compared to a rubber covered Opticron or Vortex.

The Vortex appeals because it is cheap, has good reviews & is manufactured by a company that makes military rangefinders. It also has a good warranty.

I have lots of waterproof bins etc and I find the Specwells fine as I normally don't stand out in the rain with them and have handy pouches for them.

You can have fun dismantling the Specwells if you ever need to clean them. I played about with the eyelenses on mine to get the views how I like it best. With my 8x20 I even removed a spacer ring which was surplus for how I set it up and I definitely improved both my 6x18 and 8x20.

Play safe by all means and go Vortex but it won't close focus or be as bright as the big Specwell or have as big a view.

I imagine the Vortex 8x25 is probably very similar to looking down one barrel of my Viking Vistron 8x25 which is okish but wouldn't tempt as a monoc.

BTW the Specwell are very well constructed from some alloy metal, exactly the same as high end bins -basically why they are expensive- but the optics are good too, better than average. You can get rubber covered Specwells also but I wouldn't see the need unless you really are going to smash them around.

Last edited:
Close focus isn't a factor for me. I walk every day along the shore. I will be using these for long distance viewing. My binos are Zeiss Dialyts so I have superb optics when I need them.

There are lots of reviews on the Vortex & plenty on the Opticron but I can't find many on the Specwell. I think that I will go for an 8x30 or maybe a 8x25 as my Gallery Scope isn't bright enough.

I can only comment on the 3 Speedwells I have and they are quality Japanese precision.

For what you want I think an 8x25 will be more of a struggle similar to your 8x20 than an 8x30 or 32 (and a 10x maybe to unsteady) but the Vortex would of course be compact and robust I assume.

I would probably use my 10x25 bins for what you seem to do as a pocket carry or an 8x30/32 monoc if I had one.

My Kowa SV 8x32 bins would make for a great monoc as the view through one side of those is almost as good as using both sides for some reason?

I really don't know why folks like Vortex don't make an 8x30 version similar to the Specwell with a wide view but I like the Specwells so I would have gone for that one but it's one of those things with buying remotely that you never know until you try yourself but Viking optical centre (selling the specwell) are good to deal with so would have no issue with any return.

I hope you can find something that works well and let us in on it.

Maybe some-one can suggest something now they know the useage?

Galwayguy

1. I stick to a reading of your posts that a Gallery scope versus 8x25 monocular versus 8x30/8x32 monocular comparison might be helpful to you.

2. I can compare just a Chinese 8x30 military-style porro monocular with the Helios 8x32 roof monocular.

Cosmetically the Helios resembles the probably discontinued Monk 7x30, the Kite 5x30/7x30/8x30 series, and the Opticron 5x30/8x30/8x32 series. The Helios, like I believe the Monk, Kite and Opticron models, claims high quality optics.

For me the brightness of the view through the Helios puts it into a much higher category of utility than the Chinese porro.

I suppose an 8x25 monocular can equal the brightness of the Helios, so the issue of 8x25 versus 8x30/32 monocular is availability on the market, and relative cost.

I pass on a Gallery scope.

3. To explain the importance of brightness in a monocular to me, I often use the Helios, as I used the Chinese porro, with both eyes open.

The practice is more relaxing in practical use than squinting.

But also, by viewing with both eyes open I can then use the open eye to scan while holding the view through the monocular eye on target. A blink of the viewing eye switches view between the two eyes. I am right eye and right hand dominant, so hold the monocular to the right eye with my right hand.

'Competition' of the view through the open eye with the view through the monocular eye can be reduced by maximising the brightness of the view through the monocular eye.

[The other element of reducing competition of the view through the open eye for me is ergonomic, namely holding the monocular with both hands, so 'shielding' the view through the monocular eye.]

4. I owned the Chinese porro first.

However far I shielded the view through the monocular eye, the Chinese porro failed to reduce the competition of view to a usable extent.

I was reduced to squinting.

A monocular only became useful to me with acquisition of the Helios.

5. The price of the utility of a 30/32mm objective for my manner of use is weight and bulk.

After I bought the Helios, I had to choose what small optic to take out with me between an Olympus 7x21 PC III binocular weighing 184g, and the Helios weighing 260g.

I still very often chose the Olympus.

But the present topic is monocular versus monocular; not monocular versus binocular!

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back