• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monoculars (6 Viewers)

Have just read the reviews on Amazon the Vortex seems excellent value. Also they offer a lifetime warranty & the reviews say that their customer service is very good.

Amazon are pretty excellent if you need to return or exchange so I don't see much worry to be had there in trying the Vortex if what you've read seems to point in the right direction for what you are after. Not a lot of folks here would use monoculars.

Only one way to find out about the Vortex.

I was out with my Specwell 8x20 this sunny evening and it was sort of semi useful but really a bit of a pain also and perhaps even more difficult to use than my 6x16 Specwell. Even my 8x20 Pentax bins were way ahead and they aren't any picnic to use.

Nothing beats a decent size bin at the end of the day really.

Galwayguy

Good luck with the recommendations of the 8x25 Vortex! I see on the web that the weight is a very handy 155g.

Even living near London, I relied for my successful purchase of the 8x32 Helios principally upon a recommendation. In full the process comprised:
* Knowing what I wanted from a monocular from the curiosity purchase of the 8x30 Chinese porro at £15
* Often qualified recommendations of small, lightweight, or cheap monoculars by posters on Bird Forum
* A highly favourable comparative recommendation of the 8x32 Helios on Bird Forum by a long time user of monoculars
* A familiarity with good 8x32 binocular optics (the Opticron 8x32 SR.GA)
* Try before you buy at Microglobe.

I impulsively, I admit, passed up on attempting a hands-on comparison with other monoculars of similar specification. I did so because the price was right, and on Try before you buy, the Helios came fully up to the expectations that I had from reading the recommendation on Bird Forum.

I have come to appreciate the Helios more as I have realised in practice how necessary good optics, in particular high light transmission, are to the utility of a monocular, certainly for me.

I have a suspicion that good optics may indeed be, generally, a more black & white requirement for the satisfactory performance of a monocular than for a binocular, but that's as much as I dare venture to say in a post on a Forum of experienced users and optical experts!

Stephen

The interesting thing with the Vortex is the field. It appears that it doesn't increase much with an 11mm increase in objective.

8x36 18 mm 16.4' 393' / 7.5° 4.9" 9.7 oz

8x25 15 mm 16.4' 378' / 7.2° 4.4" 5.6 oz

The Opticron 8x30 has a field of 428'. Confusing as it's more that the Votex that's 6mm bigger.

Last edited:
Thanks. I am still not sure. If Vortex made a 8x30 I would buy it. I suspect that the 8x25 wouldn't be big enough & the 8x36 too big.

The interesting thing with the Vortex is the field. It appears that it doesn't increase much with an 11mm increase in objective.

8x36 18 mm 16.4' 393' / 7.5° 4.9" 9.7 oz

8x25 15 mm 16.4' 378' / 7.2° 4.4" 5.6 oz

The Opticron 8x30 has a field of 428'. Confusing as it's more that the Votex that's 6mm bigger.

Which Opticron is that with 428' ?
http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/wp_mono.htm

Seems more like 390' or 131m 7.5 deg according to their website.
Unfortunately a lot of sites don't have the correct info and as for Amazon reviews, well....... never was such sheit "reviews" collected in one place. People on there love things like 18x21 bins or I think there are even worse ones they like such as 30x20 or something or the Sunagor 7x18 I bought recently based on all 5 star reviews and it was Sheit!

Ihe Specwell still looks reasonable to me but last evening I found my 8x20 to be not enjoyable at all really so now I would be concerned about the Specwell 8x30 but my 6x16 Specwells work fine in the sun so go figure. The sun really causes the 8x20 trouble and this happened also with the Opticron 8x20 gallery scope though I think that was slightly worse. To be honest if you can use that you can put up with anything.

I was looking again at my little Carson 7x18 MiniScout bin and I found it actually easier on my eyes than my Pentax 8x20 DCF ED (very similar to my RSPB HD 8x20) bin and I know I enjoy when out with the Carson and have problems when out with the Pentax even though the Pentax has Aspherical lenses and ED glass etc etc etc and costs many times more than the Carson but in the end the one that works is the best and for more distance my Carson 8x22 is also better than what should be a good compact in the Pentax.

Carson do a 10x25 Scout also for £34 on amazon. Forget the monoc and get one of those or the 8x22 if you want really light and compact.

Why must it be a monoc when it just won't be as good as small bins?

Here's a cheap 10x25 on here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=326600 He'd grab £60 I recon. I have one of these Hawke 10x25 and it's pretty decent as long as the sun doesn't bother it but it is water sealed and phase coated etc. Very light and compact but the Carson would probably beat it although not built as well as the Hawke.

Just occurred to me I could sell you these 8x20 Pentax if you like. Ok, bad idea ;)

Keep searching.

Last edited:
Anybody try the OPTICRON mono 8x32 (er16mm)? Is it ""same "" with Helios 8x32AMD? Any comparison between?

Tom666

Can't help. Haven't yet had the opportunity to handle an Opticron 8x32.

For what it's worth, Helios' UK distributor made--I say 'made', because they no longer list the model--a bigger claim of optical sophistication for the Helios 8x32 AMD than Opticron currently makes for the Opticron 8x32.

Stephen

Re the weight and bulk of the big x30 or x32 monoculars, I checked out the Helios yesterday on a walk round the local water meadows (aka former sewage farm overflow) on rampant Japanese Giant Hogweed and a few birds, and reminded myself how unobtrusively and comfortably it hangs from a carabiner at my belt.

The greater weight compared with the Olympus 7x21 binocular only becomes an ergonomic objection to choosing the Helios to take with me when I go out cycling on a club ride with one of the local clubs

Last edited:
The reason for a monocular rather than compact bins is that I often need to use them with one hand as I have a dog lead in the other. The other reason is that I will inevitably compare any bins with my Dialyts.

I wouldn't go bigger than 8x30 because of physical size/weight. There are a lot of bigger monoculars on the market but not many quality ones around 8x30. The vortex does seem to be pretty good but the think armouring makes the 8x25 big & the 8x35 huge.

I was planning to sell my dialyts & get some Victory Compacts. But I am not going to give them away especially as I personally think that they are one of the best ever made.

That ebay offer on the Specwell isn't especially good. They aren't waterproof & I am wary of monocs that offer a close focus like my Gallery Scope, due to the poor focussing at long distances - maybe from trying to be a jack of all trades.

That Zen Ray is a China-made "copy" of our BGA monocular so the dimensions will be more or less the same at around 140mmx45mm. That is not hugely different to our 8x30/8x32 which are 140mmx50mm (slightly fatter due to rubber armour).

HTH

Pete

That Zen Ray is a China-made "copy" of our BGA monocular so the dimensions will be more or less the same at around 140mmx45mm. That is not hugely different to our 8x30/8x32 which are 140mmx50mm (slightly fatter due to rubber armour).

HTH

Pete

Are you trying to tempt me :) ?

I really fancy a rubber armoured BGA. Does yours have that strange middle focus ring ?

Next question :) Why can I see lots of online offers for the Zen Ray, loads for the Vortex & none for Opticron ? I am expecting the " we don't need offers response " :)

Another question: Are the optics of the 8x30 significantly better than the Gallery Scope ?

Edit. Yes I really am holding an Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo bottle to visualise holding 50 mm !

Last edited:
Galwayguy

Your post #32 makes things very clear.

1. You own a Dialyt:

The difference between cheap 8x32's, and expensive ones is, I am sure, the same as the difference between cheap binoculars and your Dialyts.

It might be a useful rule of thumb to anticipate the image quality of a £100 monocular compared with a £33 monocular to be similar to the image quality of a £200 binocular compared with a £66 binocular.

2. You intend to use a monocular one-handed:

I've reminded myself of the experience of using a monocular for scanning, as opposed to short views, one-handed by looking out of a back window of my house with the Helios.

The view is only OK if I close the non-monocular eye, so--the 'squinting' issue--becomes tiring after a short while. Viewing two eyed there is too much interference of the view through the open eye with the view through the monocular eye. I need the shielding of the left hand as well on the monocular.

But I speak for myself. Your eyesight may well differ.

And you may not contemplate more than short views.

3. You intend to use a monocular one-handed because the job you have in mind for it is to use it whilst walking the dog:

Lighting conditions outdoors in Britain, and no doubt likewise Ireland, can sometimes place high demands upon a monocular.

I gather from your previous posts that the outdoor comparisons that you can do between different monoculars 'in the hand' before plunging are limited.

You own a Gallery scope.

You can at least get a hint whether a monocular of some other sort might satisfactorily do the job.

I realise it may be difficult for you to get hold of a big 8x32 monocular: Not a widely owned optic!

But I do suggest that you do a test with whatever other sort of monocular you can get hold of.

You may, I am afraid, conclude that a monocular of any specification is unlikely to cut the mustard for you.

Although the result is unlikely, it has to be said.

Stephen

I should have said earlier:

The Helios is slow focussing, and the focussing is on the stiff side. This may be a deliberate feature for ergonomic reasons. If so you may find it in other monoculars. The stiff focussing may not be down to just the use of O-rings for waterproofing.

The point is relevant to your intended use. Some users may find such features assist the handling of a monocular single-handed. Some may not

I use my Gallery Scope one handed several times a day. My concern with the 8x42 is more about single handed focusing than actual size. It will live attached to my belt so size isn't critical.

Yes I am used to two extremes. I am not expecting any monocular to be as good or even close to the Dialyts & I don't want to spend a fortune. If I am observing for some time then I will be using the bins. The monocular is for those instant moments like when I am trying to tell if it's a seal or a buoy :)

Is the Viking AIS 10x30 too heavy?
For one handed use, it would seem good.

Also Hilkinson?

A 10x25 IS monocular would be smaller if one is made.

Is the Viking 8x42 & the Zen Ray the same scope ? No one seems to sell the Zen Ray in Europe

Is the wrist strap lug removable ?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back