• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon store warning! (1 Viewer)

Mikbul

Mikbul
If you pay extra for 2nd day air don't rely on it! That's 2nd day air FROM THE TIME THE SHIP IT ! (read the 3:00 deadline CAREFULLY!) Also they use UPS, who screwed up my shipment so 2nd day air turned into 6 days! Ordered on a Wed. for the weekend and Ups sent a notice today they will arrive Tuesday! I got bins faster from JAPAN! (72 hrs with DHL)

Last edited:
Who where what when and why... Who are you? Where are you in relation to the Nikon store? What did you expect? Why is 6 days unacceptable?

Who where what when and why... Who are you? Where are you in relation to the Nikon store? What did you expect? Why is 6 days unacceptable?
I'm in NY, the Nikon store is in NY. Can't you read, 2nd day air doesn't mean 6 days! Who are you? I'm just letting people know that if you need a product and PAY EXTRA it may or may not arrive so don't bother paying extra. I would expect they use at least Fed Ex.

Last edited:
It sounds like Nikon USA is not exactly a cracker-jack outfit, to say the least. What binos did you order btw?
8X42 HG

Look at the top of the page. "Free two day delivery on items 399+" and I paid an extra $35.00 to make sure I got them when I needed them.?

Last edited:
Sadly, I think it's a sign of the times. I've paid extra many times to get things "when I want them." Next day, 2 day, 3 days, etc, etc. This with USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get things in 2 days with a "5-7 day" delivery. So It happens to me both ways regardless of vendor or carrier. Really, not a lot I can do about it.

Sadly, I think it's a sign of the times. I've paid extra many times to get things "when I want them." Next day, 2 day, 3 days, etc, etc. This with USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get things in 2 days with a "5-7 day" delivery. So It happens to me both ways regardless of vendor or carrier. Really, not a lot I can do about it.
Chill 6x6 is right. You can't do anything about shipping times. A lot of things can happen along the way to cause a delay. Thing are worse now than they were a few years ago before the Pandemic. We're pretty much at the mercy of the shippers, and the best you can hope for is that you at least eventually get the item you ordered. You just have to be patient. My experience with the Nikon Store is the same as yours. They are slow to ship, and they really don't care how long it takes for you to get your binoculars. They are not like a binocular dealer that depends on repeat sales by giving you exceptional service. They have you over a barrel, and they really don't care if you buy from them again or not.

Last edited:
Sadly, I think it's a sign of the times. I've paid extra many times to get things "when I want them." Next day, 2 day, 3 days, etc, etc. This with USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get things in 2 days with a "5-7 day" delivery. So It happens to me both ways regardless of vendor or carrier. Really, not a lot I can do about

Chill 6x6 is right. You can't do anything about shipping times. A lot of things can happen along the way to cause a delay. Thing are worse now than they were a few years ago before the Pandemic. We're pretty much at the mercy of the shippers, and the best you can hope for is that you at least eventually get the item you ordered. You just have to be patient.

Chill 6x6 is right. You can't do anything about shipping times. A lot of things can happen along the way to cause a delay. Thing are worse now than they were a few years ago before the Pandemic. We're pretty much at the mercy of the shippers, and the best you can hope for is that you at least eventually get the item you ordered. You just have to be patient. My experience with the Nikon Store is the same as yours. They are slow to ship, and they really don't care how long it takes for you to get your binoculars. They are not like a binocular dealer that depends on repeat sales by giving you exceptional service. They have you over a barrel, and they really don't care if you buy from them again or not.
Got it, order from the Nikon store a week early and don't pay for extra shipping! LOL

Why not just buy from B&H Photo? Their service is second to none in my opinion, and their prices are the same as buying direct from Nikon.

I am in south central Pennsylvania. I use the free standard shipping, and generally have my order the next day.
I thought I'd give them a try, I do usually buy from B&H. I used to work for Milford Camera in Ct. but now out of business.

It's fairly straightforward surely. If you have paid for a postal service and it doesn't deliver in the timescale (as per the contract) then you can claim the delivery costs back? Standard consumer rights here in the UK.
I have an issue whereby the smaller, therefore cheaper, couriers use a software that has incorrect data in regard to my address. About 66% of my online deliveries end up at the same incorrect address 5 miles away. I have to then travel to collect but on every failed delivery I have claimed and received the refunded postal charge, plus mileage at 52pence pm, plus damages ( my time ) which is usually just rounding up to the nearest pound.
This is following advice from the CAB.

Yes it is very annoying but I'm unable to rectify the problem so just seek recompense.

I have the (almost) same problem. I live up a long dirt road that doesn't show up on a GPS but UPS is the only carrier that can never find my place. The girl from the Nikon store already is putting in for a refund but it's really not the money, I had a trip planned to try them next to my Audubons. I know that's not really significant in the scheme of things but............................

I have the (almost) same problem. I live up a long dirt road that doesn't show up on a GPS but UPS is the only carrier that can never find my place. The girl from the Nikon store already is putting in for a refund but it's really not the money, I had a trip planned to try them next to my Audubons. I know that's not really significant in the scheme of things but............................
That's the way it aways is for me! It's usually partly my fault because I procrastinate a little bit then see the promise and saving grace of "2-day delivery" or "next day delivery." It works about half the time. LOL

It's fairly straightforward surely. If you have paid for a postal service and it doesn't deliver in the timescale (as per the contract) then you can claim the delivery costs back? Standard consumer rights here in the UK.
I have an issue whereby the smaller, therefore cheaper, couriers use a software that has incorrect data in regard to my address. About 66% of my online deliveries end up at the same incorrect address 5 miles away. I have to then travel to collect but on every failed delivery I have claimed and received the refunded postal charge, plus mileage at 52pence pm, plus damages ( my time ) which is usually just rounding up to the nearest pound.
This is following advice from the CAB.

Yes it is very annoying but I'm unable to rectify the problem so just seek recompense.
What a PIA! A lot of my stuff goes to my neighbor, especially with FedEx. He has the same first name as me and his address is only one number different. Fortunately, he is only a few houses down from me. We have gotten to know each other pretty well and when I don't get a delivery I just walk down to his house, and he has my package waiting for me and vice versa.

Last edited:
I thought I'd give them a try, I do usually buy from B&H. I used to work for Milford Camera in Ct. but now out of business.
If buying NY, I’m with Mikbul here, B&H is one of the best. Adaroma is also excellent, just what whatever you do , stay away at all costs from Camera Lnd.

Nikon in Japan is totally different from Nikon USA, it is as if customer service in the US does not want to implement any service at all. Nikon in Japan still service their products, in the US not so much. Nikon has built some great optics, and I wonder if their presence in the US will be cut short. I would send items for service directly to Japan if necessary.
Same thing for Seiko, I would rather deal with Japan than the US - same story there.

Nikon in Japan is totally different from Nikon USA, it is as if customer service in the US does not want to implement any service at all. Nikon in Japan still service their products, in the US not so much. Nikon has built some great optics, and I wonder if their presence in the US will be cut short. I would send items for service directly to Japan if necessary.
Same thing for Seiko, I would rather deal with Japan than the US - same story there.
Nikon USA and Seiko USA are probably just to have some presence in the USA, but they don't really know anything. At least SONA can do some minor repairs on your binoculars like adjust the focuser tension, but if it is anything major they have to send it back to Austria. Nikon USA or, for that matter, Nikon Japan can do very little, as far as repairs on your binoculars. They just send you a new MHG, which sucks if you have an SE.

Last edited:
My wife’s 8x30hg hinge cover (little knurled disk) went missing weeks ago. Very annoying and replacements were back ordered. I was unable to talk to anyone at Nikon usa, and had given up - this thread reminded me to go check availability! It was back in stock today but I had to pay $9 for it only to find that shipping for what would have gone easily for $0.35 postage, cost me an additional $10 to ship.
Totally different than my Leica service experiences. So yes, sad that Nikon can’t do better. Optic quality is superb, but these little things are a turn off…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back