• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon store warning! (1 Viewer)

I always like USPS Priority Mail for 2-day service, but bad things can happen with them too. One time I had something get all the way to the distribution center within 30 miles of my house, then the box went west for some reason, and spent a week circling around Ohio and Western Pennsylvania. I have no idea how this happened but 2 days turned into 2 weeks.

My least favorite carrier is Fedex, they've lost a couple of items completely in recent years. Another time the driver delivered a box to my hillbilly neighbors, who eagerly steal anything that come across their path, then Fedex tried to blame me and bill me for it.

You have to watch out for this - IMO, and legally, nothing belongs to me or becomes my possession until I "take delivery". Both Amazon and the outdoor company REI have tried to make me pay for boxes that were delivered to my neighbors or lost by Fedex, which is outrageous.

I just bought my second pair of Nikon E "C" off E-bay from Japan and the first pair were as advertised and showed up in 72 hrs. The 2nd pair will ship tomorrow and the seller has sent two nice messages that weren't really necessary! I can imagine Nikon (Japan) would be much nicer to deal with. Just to re-iterate never had a problem with B&H or Adorama in NYC.

What a PIA! A lot of my stuff goes to my neighbor, especially with FedEx. He has the same first name as me and his address is only one number different. Fortunately, he is only a few houses down from me. We have gotten to know each other pretty well and when I don't get a delivery I just walk down to his house, and he has my package waiting for me and vice versa.
Sorry, what is PIA?

I always like USPS Priority Mail for 2-day service, but bad things can happen with them too. One time I had something get all the way to the distribution center within 30 miles of my house, then the box went west for some reason, and spent a week circling around Ohio and Western Pennsylvania. I have no idea how this happened but 2 days turned into 2 weeks.

My least favorite carrier is Fedex, they've lost a couple of items completely in recent years. Another time the driver delivered a box to my hillbilly neighbors, who eagerly steal anything that come across their path, then Fedex tried to blame me and bill me for it.

You have to watch out for this - IMO, and legally, nothing belongs to me or becomes my possession until I "take delivery". Both Amazon and the outdoor company REI have tried to make me pay for boxes that were delivered to my neighbors or lost by Fedex, which is outrageous.
last year I had to send in a MHG , the rep on phone gave me an address in CA, which I then boxed it , put address on and got it ready to bring to UPS. That same day I get an email label from Nikon with a different address. I call and they tell me use the label, which I did. A few days later I’m getting tracking emails saying there is no location with that address. I called Nikon immediately and was told that location was closed and there’s a new location a few miles away, which was the first address they gave me ove the phone. My local UPS store was able to reroute the package before it was returned back to New York. Nikon‘s customer service system is cumbersome, layered and nobody can answer any detailed questions.

Paul

I have a video from a few years back of the Fedex driver delivering a few boxes to my house. He had them stacked one on top of the other carrying it ,and the top box slipped off, and hit the ground. Instead of putting the two other boxes down and picking them all up again, he decided that he would just kick the box along the ground, about 30 feet to my front porch. Then he threw the two boxes that were still in his hands down on the top step, grabbed the box on the ground at his that he had kicked for 30 feet and just threw it on top of the other boxes. It was a Swift 7x50 binocular bought on the Bay , just my luck the seller packaged it like a pro, buble wrapped with three layers , box was filled with foam peanuts and the sides of box had cut out styrofoam. I showed the seller the video, he said he almost fell off his chair. No hillbillies, just completely disrespectful inept FedEx delivery drivers.

Nikon USA and Seiko USA are probably just to have some presence in the USA, but they don't really know anything. At least SONA can do some minor repairs on your binoculars like adjust the focuser tension, but if it is anything major they have to send it back to Austria. Nikon USA or, for that matter, Nikon Japan can do very little, as far as repairs on your binoculars. They just send you a new MHG, which sucks if you have an SE.
Nikon does service the EDG in Japan - that I do know, not sure about the SE (issue of parts) but being a porro I have had SEs serviced by Suddarth Optical, land Sea Sky another option. If you take care of a porro, getting it cleaned or collimated can be implemented by those and other qualified optical services.

Not for binoculars bought from Nikon Japan, they will be serviced, though with only a one year warranty, there will be $$ involved if over a year old.

Just to add, all my Nikons from the original HG/LX and EDGs never needed service, just some cleaning for SEs and a ocular replacement for an SE where the adhesive turned cloudy.

Last edited:
Sounds typical for Fedex - in my experience UPS seems to hire & retain better drivers. Never had them deliver a box to the wrong place, or lose one. Many, many years ago - 1980's - I was also drilled in a car accident by a Fedex driver that was clearly intoxicated. My mother & I were lucky to walk away with minor injuries, huge station wagon was totalled. It doesn't seem like much has changed there.

One thing about the Nikonusa store....you have to check with them from time to time. Sometimes they have some refurbs that are in as new condition at about half price.

One thing about the Nikonusa store....you have to check with them from time to time. Sometimes they have some refurbs that are in as new condition at about half price.
…. You shop for binoculars?!?!?
Wouldnt it be easier to just go into your own gear closet occasionally and with eyes closed, grab something you prolly forgot you even owned? 😆🥵😍

…. You shop for binoculars?!?!?
Wouldnt it be easier to just go into your own gear closet occasionally and with eyes closed, grab something you prolly forgot you even owned? 😆🥵😍
Everyone once in a while! LOL

The funny thing is...and eye-opening.... I DO grab a binocular I haven't used in a while and go birding. Only lately I grabbed the Meopta B.1 7X42. It's really an excellent binocular and easy to see why I can't turn loose of it. It really does everything well. If anyone ever sees one snag it. You won't regret it.

Well my Nikon 8X42 HG's arrived today and I couldn't be more pleased! They are like a slightly brighter, sharper and wider FOV than my Audubon 8.5X44 HR5. These are the first bin I've looked through in 30 years that beat my HR5's! They are 6oz lighter than the HR5 and fit in my 10X35 E case. These won't be going back to Nikon anytime soon!

I don't like neoprine straps, any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well my Nikon 8X42 HG's arrived today and I couldn't be more pleased! They are like a slightly brighter, sharper and wider FOV than my Audubon 8.5X44 HR5. These are the first bin I've looked through in 30 years that beat my HR5's! They are 6oz lighter than the HR5 and fit in my 10X35 E case. These won't be going back to Nikon anytime soon!

EXCELLENT!

GREAT binocular. Though being under appreciated here lately, the MHG 8X42 is still a strong birding binocular choice.

Congrats on your new Nikon MHG's . I posted in your thread on Cloudy Nights .
What don't you like about neoprine straps ? I myself find them to be comfortable although I did have to cut some of the length off of my Nikon MHG 8x42's strap . The Vero Vellini strap that Dries recommended is neoprine like the MHG's strap but looks like it is a step up :unsure:?? Perhaps a harness instead of a strap for you .

Congrats on your new Nikon MHG's . I posted in your thread on Cloudy Nights .
What don't you like about neoprine straps ? I myself find them to be comfortable although I did have to cut some of the length off of my Nikon MHG 8x42's strap . The Vero Vellini strap that Dries recommended is neoprine like the MHG's strap but looks like it is a step up :unsure:?? Perhaps a harness instead of a strap for you .
I like my Swift style strap, no neoprine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back