• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 8x42 is here (1 Viewer)

That is one review on the Nocs that I disagreed with quite a bit, except on build quality, somewhat on the double bridge design and his opinion on colour neutrality. I had five people on three occasions with the 8x42 Nocs, one 8x42 UVHD+ and one non plus UV as well as the SF. Nobody had the opinion the Noctivid was much less immersive that the UV’s, which was a surprise to me. Everybody thought they were brighter, had better resolution and I had no issues with veiling glare. I’ve never heard anybody say that the Nocs were to sharp.

I’m certainly no expert like Tobias. I didn’t read through the whole review again but I don’t believe he did a side-by-side comparison. I have a lot of these Leica’s , a collection of the Swaros and tested all the SF’s , and currently own the SF 8x32 ( my favorite of the SF line). I find these Noctivids have a stunning and gorgeous image quality that all the others don’t quite match. Of course all of this is subjective and others may just find that quality in other top premium options. For me it’s not always about which one is the brightest or which one has the widest FOV, it’s more about the pleasure that the image brings and how easy it is on my eyes after a long day of observing. The Nocs and the EDG’s are the only two binoculars that I can spend hours observing without eye fatigue. Although I also enjoy my EL’s and NL’s, but after an hour or two my eyes are tapping out.

Happy holidays

Paul
Any experience with the 10x NV?

I compared the Noctivid 8x42 with my EDG 7x42.

Optically, the EDG wins on night time use on city scape. Looking at bright light sources such as street lights and bright windows the EDG gives a cleaner image. It seems the EDG better control internal reflection. Sometimes I saw reflection of bright lights located outside the FOV in the Noctivid, while there is none in the EDG. The Noctivid wins on all other aspects and most obviously in daytime use: crystal clarity (EDG image more hazy), sharpness (at least feeling so), contrast, colour, and 3D feel (much better in the Noctivid)

Attachments

• IMG20221219200712.jpg
    IMG20221219200712.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG20221219222419.jpg
    IMG20221219222419.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69

Optically, the EDG wins on night time use on city scape. Looking at bright light sources such as street lights and bright windows the EDG gives a cleaner image. It seems the EDG better control internal reflection. Sometimes
The EDG 7x42 is one of the best glasses when it comes to flares.
I've had it for a few years and no other binoculars can hold a candle to the EDG in this discipline.

Maybe a bit much CA for an alpha and the distortion is also early and a bit noticeable, IMO the 8x42 is the better binocular.

Andreas

Last edited:
I enjoyed side by side comparisons with the Nocs , SF’s, NL’s and Ultravids, all in 10x and 8x, as well as the EDG in 8x.

The 10x Nocs have slightly more CA, but that is true for the Ultravids as well, not anything bad, not a deal breaker unless your super sensitive. Also the DOF on 10x is less, so between the smaller FOV, less DOF and the flatter field , it has less of that immersive magic of the 8’s. This was less noticeable on the 10x Ultravids, I would assume because of more field curvature. It’s interesting because they both have the same FOV in 10x. I may be wrong here , but I think because the field of view in the 8x is larger in the Nocs it helps a bit equal out that immersive feeling. I like the Nocs best in 8x and I like the NL‘s in 10x.

Happy Holidays

Paul

The Nocs with part of the family and at home for the Holidays.

Attachments

• 84B72AFD-BB0E-487B-BDF0-4D8E230D85E9.jpeg
    84B72AFD-BB0E-487B-BDF0-4D8E230D85E9.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 369
  • 4CAF8D17-74AE-43B2-AA2F-2CEB469BE549.jpeg
    4CAF8D17-74AE-43B2-AA2F-2CEB469BE549.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 81

Optically, the EDG wins on night time use on city scape. Looking at bright light sources such as street lights and bright windows the EDG gives a cleaner image. It seems the EDG better control internal reflection. Sometimes I saw reflection of bright lights located outside the FOV in the Noctivid, while there is none in the EDG. The Noctivid wins on all other aspects and most obviously in daytime use: crystal clarity (EDG image more hazy), sharpness (at least feeling so), contrast, colour, and 3D feel (much better in the Noctivid)
The Nocs are real nice in green👌.

I’m making revision to my post #19.

#19.
“The Nocs and the EDG’s are the only two binoculars that I can spend hours observing without eye fatigue”

There are more than two I can spend hours without much fatigue, all of the 42 Ultravids, Nikon MHG’s, E2’s and the HR5 Swift Audubons ( the earlier models are to cold). I find a great deal of comfort in these models with magnification below 10x, other than the UVHD 10x which I find very comfortable over long observing sessions.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Paul

84b72afd-bb0e-487b-bdf0-4d8e230d85e9-jpeg.1485053
I've got the two on the right and it's odd seeing them both look so small there.

I've got the two on the right and it's odd seeing them both look so small there.
I’m always surprised by how small UVs are.

I’m feeling strangely drawn to a 10x32, or even smaller objectives. I’ll have to check one out in a shop next year! I’d like to compare them with an SFL.

I’m always surprised by how small UVs are.

I’m feeling strangely drawn to a 10x32, or even smaller objectives. I’ll have to check one out in a shop next year! I’d like to compare them with an SFL.
The 8x20 Ultravid is my 'normal' binocular, so the 32 and 42mm models feel large, for me. Already having the 8x32 Ultravid, I got the 10x32 out of curiosity and completely fell for it. Wish you were close enough to try them out, but you should have some opportunities arise if you keep at it.

The EDG 7x42 is one of the best glasses when it comes to flares.
I've had it for a few years and no other binoculars can hold a candle to the EDG in this discipline.
Andreas

Yes. I agree. The only binoculars that are equal or better than the EDG 7x42 in this aspect that I have seen is the Nikon SP 7x50.

The 42 ultravids are very compact and the 32’s are tiny. The Ultravids actually are fatter than the Nocs.
The eye lenses on your NVs appear to be very large. Would you care to measure them?
Usually large eye lenses are dictated by large eye relief and/or large AFoV, but both values for the NV are perfectly adequate but not exceptional.
Those on my 8x56 SLC (28 mm) are about the largest I have seen with an average AFoV (59,5° measured) but almost excessive eye relief of 23 mm.

John

8x42 Noctivid side by side with the old Nikon HG 8x42 and the EDG 7x42. The Noctivid wins clearly in sharpness, contrast, clarity, and 3D texture. The old HG wins in the warm cosy colour, which is spectacular at sunset. The 7x42 EDG wins at night on the clean image of bright light sources, and in the relaxing and stable view as it is a 7x. To me the Noctivid is the most wonderful as an enjoyment/a toy and the EDG is irreplaceable as a tool.

Attachments

• IMG20221230094255.jpg
    IMG20221230094255.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
Greetings, and Happy New Year. On the margin of discussion here, I would like to share with you the following when the Noctivid (8x42) and the various Ultravid models come to mind and use:
  1. The use of the Noctivid improves when its weight is partially mitigated by using this strap; please see here Leica Neoprene Binocular Sport Strap, Olive Green
  2. The use of the Noctivid improves when I add the winged eyecap set. Please see here: Leica Winged Eyecup Set
  3. The Ultravid HD+ 7x42 is a pleasure to use. It is a very stable platform and the view is very competitive with Noctivid.
  4. The industrial design of the Ultravid 8x32 is second to none in terms of weight and haptics. The HD+ provides a very nice view that improved on both the blacks and the whites over the HD model. The difference is small but it is there to see.
  5. The Ultravid 8x20 is superb for urban walks not only for its weight but also because it attracts the least attention.
Finally, I have found that 10 times magnification doesn't add new information to viewing but comes with shake that increases by the minute. If increased magnification is really needed, then a scope is perhaps needed. Enjoy in good health.

As much as i like my Noctivid 8x42, i have returned it to the seller after i compared it with my friend's one

My friend's Noctivid 8x42 was the reason i bought mine. But once compared side by side, there was sample variation between mine and his. His has better clarity and contrast than mine, enough to show an obvious difference and separate 2 levels of quality for my eyes.

Both items are Made in Portugal and his even has an earlier serial number than mine

I am sure mine has no problem, just variation between samples

I will post another thread describing this sample variation

Attachments

• IMG20221231162601.jpg
    IMG20221231162601.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
As much as i like my Noctivid 8x42, i have returned it to the seller after i compared it with my friend's one

My friend's Noctivid 8x42 was the reason i bought mine. But once compared side by side, there was sample variation between mine and his. His has better clarity and contrast than mine, enough to show an obvious difference and separate 2 levels of quality for my eyes.

Both items are Made in Portugal and his even has an earlier serial number than mine

I am sure mine has no problem, just variation between samples

I will post another thread describing this sample variation
How are your sure yours had no problem? Was collimation as lined as good as your friends and did you have the diopter set on both for your eyes? I find that to be very odd. A group of us had tested five or six UVHD’s half MIG and the others MIP and no one out of a group could see any optical difference. This was prompted or motivated by a discussion with one of our members who had continued ad nauseam how bad MIP was and preaching the quality of the MIG over the MIP.

There was one Portuguese unit that had the best focuser of the group. I will say that there was a lot of diopter adjustments for a few in the group to get everything just right.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back