• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Little Egret Unthank Road, Norwich 8.10am

Little Egret low south over Unthank Road, Norwich 8.10am. Last Common Swift over the house on 18th September.

There's a ring necked parakeet hanging around Marl Pit lane. I though I was hearing things these past few days but it just flew over my garden!

There was one in Surlingham in September, and more recently one seen at UEA in late October, so quite possibly the same individual moving gradually west. I've not seen Ring-necked Parakeet in Norfolk, so I'd be interested to hear if it stays in an easily-vieweable area.

There's a ring necked parakeet hanging around Marl Pit lane. I though I was hearing things these past few days but it just flew over my garden!

Well definitely worth looking for it because like I said I have been hearing it calling these past few days so its definitely been hanging around. :)

Well definitely worth looking for it because like I said I have been hearing it calling these past few days so its definitely been hanging around. :)

In which case I may not have been dreaming. I was sure I heard RNP over New Costessey (just west of Norwich Road, so v close to Marl Pit Lane) a few days ago. But reckoned I was imagining things; they were a (London) garden bird for me for years until my move to Norfolk a year back.

James: I'll let you know if I see/hear it again.

Ring-necked Parakeet on Dereham Road this morning (0815), in trees 100m or so east of junction with Cadge Road.

A drake Goosander is still present at Whitlingham, it spent the whole time I was there asleep on a log at the edge of the island on the Great Broad. Across the river at Thorpe there were three Wigeon on the broad (a reminder that the footbridge across to Thorpe is now closed until near the end of March for works, access is still possible via Bungalow Lane)

I've drafted out the 2015 Whitlingham Bird Report, if anyone has any sightings not mentioned at the time then I'd appreciate them soon (via any medium - email, BirdForum message, twitter, blog etc).

Whitlingham Bird Report 2015

Here we go, for those who are interested I have attached the Whitlingham Bird Report 2015, based on my records and those of other local birders who have reported sightings throughout the year.

Here's hoping for some excellent Norwich birds in 2016.

Regards,

James

Attachments

• Whitlingham Bird Report 2015.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 78
Here we go, for those who are interested I have attached the Whitlingham Bird Report 2015, based on my records and those of other local birders who have reported sightings throughout the year.

Here's hoping for some excellent Norwich birds in 2016.

Regards,

James

Amazing work James! Not a site I watch but have given it a quick scan and will read in more detail later. Well done on a fantastic job.

What the others said. Plus amazing efficiency, James!

Thanks James. I try to keep a rough document throughout the year, then work on it during the evenings in December.

At Whitlingham today the Pintail x Mallard hybrid was back and showing nicely along the slipway. 3 female Goldeneye on the broad, 90ish Siskins (a small flock near the Little Broad and a much larger one in trees along Whitlingham Lane) plus the usual ducks etc.

Attachments

• P1040772.JPG
    P1040772.JPG
    430.7 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back