• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce in Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

I knew a bloke who twitched Collared Dove. Major rarity at the time. Maybe Black Swan, Muscovy Duck or Bar-headed Goose will make it onto the list.

Dodgy ducks or insurance ticks? Eep!

Now you can't take everything from Wikipedia as read but this is copied from their site re bar headed goose.

"The Bar-headed Goose is often kept in captivity, as it is considered beautiful and breeds readily. Records in Great Britain are frequent, and almost certainly relate to escapes. However, the species has bred on several occasions in recent years and around five pairs were recorded in 2002, the most recent available report of the Rare Birds Breeding Panel. It is possible the species is becoming gradually more established in Great Britain. The bird is sociable and causes no problems for other birds.[citation needed] The "wild" population is believed to be declining in Great Britain due to over-hunting"

Doesn't look like a feral population is ready to take off just yet.

Last edited:
I knew a bloke who twitched Collared Dove. Major rarity at the time. Maybe Black Swan, Muscovy Duck or Bar-headed Goose will make it onto the list.

Dodgy ducks or insurance ticks? Eep!
I will confess to twitching a Collared Dove but it was back in 1963 and I cycled about 20 miles for that twitch.

I think the outlaw is taking things a bit too personally, his last post seems a bit of an over reaction to me, but then again he's not gonna read this so it doesn't matter.

As for the Red breasted Goose I think some of you may be better taking a look at my blog and going to Hornsea for your Goose fix, surely better credentials.

Maybe of interest or maybe not but I know of a collection just up the A64 from Malton with large numbers of Red breasted Geese, maybe 40 of them! and loads of other stuff like Bufflehead and Hooded Merg. It's a private collection I just happened to do some work there a few years ago.

G

Gaz, is the small goose there now - with Barnacles? Had gen. Barnacles north of Scarborough on the pond there - can't remember the name of the pond, so not in a rush for these.

Will give these geese a view when next at Hornsea.

I've gone for the R-bG so I'm not bothered now what happens with it. Just out of interest I hear a top Yorkshire lister has been to see it.

Gaz, is the small goose there now - with Barnacles? Had gen. Barnacles north of Scarborough on the pond there - can't remember the name of the pond, so not in a rush for these.

Will give these geese a view when next at Hornsea.

I've gone for the R-bG so I'm not bothered now what happens with it. Just out of interest I hear a top Yorkshire lister has been to see it.

Hi Steve,
I haven't been for nearly a week but it's been there for the last 2 winters so I expect there will be no problem catching up with it.

The Barnacles are usually in the crop fields south of the grass fields you walk through along the south side of the mere.

G

Cheers, good chance of it being the Castle Howard bird then.

as long as it ain't the one that was giving me the wind-up last year flitting between said shitelands and Anglers in diametric opposition to location of self. If anyone would care to catch it and tie it up 'til I arrive would be much obliged.

as long as it ain't the one that was giving me the wind-up last year flitting between said shitelands and Anglers in diametric opposition to location of self. If anyone would care to catch it and tie it up 'til I arrive would be much obliged.

Glad you got to see the bird, it disappeared by the time I got there but obligingly came out again after I'd done a lap of Pugney's

Glad you got to see the bird, it disappeared by the time I got there but obligingly came out again after I'd done a lap of Pugney's

Cheers Rob

Thought it might have strung me along for a bit longer before appearing out of the willow - but I'm not complaining.

For those who are interested: the bird favours a clump of willows standing in open water about 20m from the bank on the direct opposite side to the Swan & Cygnet.

Flamborough

Pallas's Warbler in tall hawthorn hedge a couple of hundreds yrds north of sixpenny hill plantation today, Firecrest in same hedge too,

Olive-backed Pipits

2 in Top Scrub at Filey this aft. Hope they stick around until tomorrow but clear skies and light wind tonight not too promising...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back