• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2024 (2 Viewers)

Last week I was lucky enough to see the Great Bittern at the Katzensee again. Some one had just set up his scope when I past while running, and allowed me to peek though. I was also impressed by the relatively large flock of Chaffinches I saw. There were between 40 and 50, I had never seen a flock even half that big.

Last Tuesday, I met with my son at work and then walked home with him over the Kaferberg. We saw a buzzard flying over low a couple of meters in front of us carrying a mouse. Additionally, we spotted a Black Woodpecker which remained in a tree relatively nearby.

This Saturday, again running around the Katzensee, the same birder that had set up his scope last week was there. He mentioned to me that he had seen a Jack-Snipe, but that it was now hidden somewhere, probably sleeping. I continued my run, considering how I would manage my time after running. Combining groceries, family duties and having to pass by work for a bit seemed to be hard to combine with coming back to look for the Jack-Snipe (would be a lifer). I must have been far from concentrated, because I was enough of an idiot to slip in some mud while making a turn and smacked into the path.

I elegantly removed quite a bit of skin from my knee and especially my right hand. I managed to limp home, only to get scolded by my wife for not being more careful. (And, didn't manage to get out to look for that bloody Snipe too).

Decided to get wet but try for the Black Storks, Hen Harriers and Black Winged Kite at Mohlin.
You can guess how I got on….
But some 35 Species seen or heard including Black, Middle and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Great White Egrets( in a field away from water!!), Red Kites, Common Buzzards, Kestrels, Long taileed Tits, Firecrests, Linnets etc.
My first Black Kite of the year was the highlight.
The nature reserves around Mohlin are very impressive.
Now drying off…..

Attachments

• IMG_9670.jpeg
    IMG_9670.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9686.jpeg
    IMG_9686.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9687.jpeg
    IMG_9687.jpeg
    678.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9688.jpeg
    IMG_9688.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9655.jpeg
    IMG_9655.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9649.jpeg
    IMG_9649.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9657.jpeg
    IMG_9657.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9658.jpeg
    IMG_9658.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9669.jpeg
    IMG_9669.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
Decided to get wet but try for the Black Storks, Hen Harriers and Black Winged Kite at Mohlin.
You can guess how I got on….
But some 35 Species seen or heard including Black, Middle and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Great White Egrets( in a field away from water!!), Red Kites, Common Buzzards, Kestrels, Long taileed Tits, Firecrests, Linnets etc.
My first Black Kite of the year was the highlight.
The nature reserves around Mohlin are very impressive.
Now drying off…..
I think the Great Egrets have learnt from the Grey Herons Mike, voles and moles now firmly on their diet.!
Wryneck already back near Geneva!

On the train home from Ins. Plans and a meeting were abandoned this afternoon. Despite not being a twitcher Sociable Laplover is a bird I have wanted to see for a long time, and is sadly declining dramatically and even getting unreliable in its range at good sites at the right time of year. A tragic case really but a gorgeous individual bird on a tremendous afternoon - first time of the year in short sleeves - were cause for smiles all around.

I bumped into some friends and made a few more and spent hours watching a gorgeous bird.

Handily the best bird I’ve ever twitched and the best twitch of my not extensive twitching career. Edging out Swainson’s Thrush for Buenos Aires, Whistling Heron for N America, even edging out the piece of shit basic plumage Sib Stonechat I cycled 4kms in the rain to see at Chatzensee 🤣🤣🤣

Got info directly from a couple friends. I can at last finally use the Swiss RBA application - previously there were geo limitations and as my Apple account is using a non Swiss credit card the application was unavailable to me. However in this case I just got a couple WhatsApp's right away including GPS pins.

I can't comment as to why it's not appearing on ornitho.ch but I want to throw out a sort of general opinion on the secrecy in Swiss birding: it is f*cking lame. In general between ornitho and eBird, secrecy levels are far higher and far more things are hard to get info on and/or are considered sensitive than anywhere else in W Europe. It basically just sort of makes birding in Switzerland harder and less enjoyable. I've actually stopped submitting some of my sightings of good birds in CH to eBird. If the Swiss reviewers / policy setters don't want to share the data back with me, then I don't feel an obligation to share it with them. If I actually find a novel location or an interesting bird, I can share it privately with people I know at Vogelwarte and Birdlife. Otherwise, meh, I get very little from eBird in CH compared to other countries.

Concern today was that the area where the Plover was found was a breeding one for Lapwings and they did not want hordes of twitchers disturbing them. I can understand this.
In UK this find would have been swamped by literally thousandsof birders!

Yesterday there were maybe 25-30 birders present at peak. The area to see the bird is from a paved path and the Lapwings were never closer than maybe 150m or so. Didn’t seem like any disturbance or any issues there.

Below what was written in the first alert on the Swiss Bird Alert.
I understand that on the publicly accessible platform Ornitho, more sensitive species observations (as in here) are hidden. But it's rather rare for rarities to be hidden in ornitho, usually their location is not considered problematic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320-081704~2.png
    Screenshot_20240320-081704~2.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 7
I can't comment as to why it's not appearing on ornitho.ch but I want to throw out a sort of general opinion on the secrecy in Swiss birding: it is f*cking lame. In general between ornitho and eBird, secrecy levels are far higher and far more things are hard to get info on and/or are considered sensitive than anywhere else in W Europe. It basically just sort of makes birding in Switzerland harder and less enjoyable.
In practice I found that ornitho.ch mostly withholds info some threatened species like grouse and some owls. This is indeed an obstacle to finding them, but then I certainly get the reasons. E.g. one of the main reasons of the decline of Capercaille is increasing disturbance. I can live with that.
Not sure how the Swiss practice compares to other countries, but I don't believe that e.g. in Germany or France they are more relaxed about this.
Ebird in general is just less useful in Switzerland as its less used than elsewhere because of ornitho.

With Capercaillie and for instance Tengmalm's Owl I definitely understand. Corn Crake as well.

But there are many species marked as sensitive in eBird that are not in neighboring countries - Eu Pygmy-Owl, Rock Partridge, Hazel Grouse, I think Black Grouse maybe too, White-backed Woodpecker I think, and a few more. When you look at data in eBird CH is basically just a hole in Europe for many birds.

That plus the data restrictions in ornitho basically just makes CH a harder country to bird if you are not in the know, and IMHO puts up some barriers to newer birders / birders that aren't in the right social circles in CH too. There is a balance of course and these problems are going to be far more present for densely populated countries, but it's striking how much harder it is to find gen in CH than neighboring countries if you don't know the in-the-know locals.

So perhaps I shouldn't have said it's "f*cking lame" ;) But these data restrictions are really inconsistently applied and the sort of combo of factors in CH combine to make it one of the least friendly countries to visiting birders and to new birders, it seems to me.

I'm fortunate to have friends who share information with me but yesterday on the way back from the Sociable Plover I was chatting with some local birders and sort of ended up dodging questions and basically lying about what I have seen so far in CH in order to avoid awkwardly declining to share locations or sources of info. It's uncomfortable and it goes against my personal philosophies for sure - generally I share gen with anyone and everyone, at least when it's my gen to share or I know I can. Perhaps that is more of a European thing given population densities and sensitive species and I need to get more used to it as well.

Anyways, I also haven't seen Hazel Grouse yet. I know plenty of locations where they are present, but seeing one is another matter ;)

I am not sure whether keeping locations hidden/secret actually really results in less disturbance. On day 1, probably yes. But word does get out, people get informed through social media word of mouth etc. There might even be more disturbance, if locations are not exact and people start exploring to get their tick.

Funnily, someone just explained to me this weekend where to start looking for a breeding Little Bittern near the Katzensee next month :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back