• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2024 (1 Viewer)

For some birds like breeding raptors or owls, I think keeping things secret really does help. For the Capercaillie, I think it probably helps, though there's already a lot of disturbance from non-birders in the zones I know to look for them.

But overall I basically agree with you Frank. I don't think it helps as much as the usually good intentioned decision makers think it does, but is certainly makes birding more clique-based and makes it more important to be "one of the cool kids" and to know the right people.

Re: Little Bittern, it for me has been reliable at Büsisee during the Summer. I'm not sure what arrival dates are like (could perhaps find out from eBird and/or Vogelwarte) but I see it there fairly regularly in season. Early or late in the day is best, occasionally one is perched in view but more frequently you just see one fly across the pond if you're sitting there quietly a half an hour or something. Recently there has been some vegetation trimmed though which exposes the pond more so hopefully that won't impact the birds there. It's just a spot I like to go and sit and have some tea or read and it's where I usually first check when I bike over to Chatzensee to bird so I've seen it there a number of times.

Yesterday there were maybe 25-30 birders present at peak. The area to see the bird is from a paved path and the Lapwings were never closer than maybe 150m or so. Didn’t seem like any disturbance or any issues there.

Birdwatchers in Switzerland must be most unruly and more numerous that anywhere else in the world. Why else the level of secrecy would be so much higher? And one would need 3 different platforms to know about birds?

Not sure how the Swiss practice compares to other countries, but I don't believe that e.g. in Germany or France they are more relaxed about this.

Switzerland is extreme, because one third of breeding birds has location secret by default - independent of additional ad-hoc restrictions in special cases. Germany and France are more relaxed.

That is why I recently bird mostly in France and Germany. Birds are better. And an additional perk is that roads are better, largely free of traffic jams and driving is much simpler.

I am not sure whether keeping locations hidden/secret actually really results in less disturbance.

Actually, while there is disturbance to wildlife in Switzerland, it is mostly by hunters and general public. Hunters in Switzerland prevent wildlife from getting used to people like in the Netherlands, where deer graze few meters from people and herons perch on roofs in cities. I can believe that winter sports enthusiasts put a stress on wildlife in winter because they penetrate every corner of the mountains at a time of heavy snowfall. But birders are actually very few.

Actually, while there is disturbance to wildlife in Switzerland, it is mostly by hunters and general public. Hunters in Switzerland prevent wildlife from getting used to people like in the Netherlands, where deer graze few meters from people and herons perch on roofs in cities. I can believe that winter sports enthusiasts put a stress on wildlife in winter because they penetrate every corner of the mountains at a time of heavy snowfall. But birders are actually very few.

That's curious. When I compare the situation in France to Switzerland, the wild life seems to much less stressed here. On the Kaferberg, I can walk within 20 meters from roe deer. In France they run of as soon as they spot me, even at 200 meters. Some with herons and Cormorants. Near the Katzensee, I can pass herons at a one or two meters, back in France they will fly of at 100 meters or more.

I assume, though, that hunter pressure in Switzerland is different per region and that your millage might vary!

Anyways, I also haven't seen Hazel Grouse yet. I know plenty of locations where they are present, but seeing one is another matter ;)
Yeah, definitely my bogey bird. I have already considered putting my tent in some Jurassien forest and not leave until I got it.

I think you are all right about the restrictive settings, the clique culture in Swiss birding, etc. Still, I rarely feel the availability of data is an actual obstacle to my birding. Maybe because as a resident birder, I rarely specifically look after breeding birds and its migration birding that is most fun? Maybe different for a visiting birder.

Anyway, just saw a Dipper right next to Zurich main station. Nice :)

Thank you all for your interesting views and comments.
Very thoughtful.
I do like to share all my information.
Regarding the Hazel Grouse, I am also struggling. The famous site at Grabs was my best shot, however I dipped out but found several Pygmy Owls.

Today, a local trip to the Schliff area above Riehen (BL).
This site provides excellent views over Basel. Several Black Storks have been seen from there. It is a good spot for Common Redstart, Cirl Bunting and Wryneck.
Little Owl boxes have been placed near the Germany Border, hoping to encourage them into Switzerland.
Some 30 Species recorded including Red Kites, Black Kites, Green Woodpeckers, etc.
First Wryneck of the year heard. In previous years, Several Wryneck have been seen, and maybe breed there.

Attachments

• IMG_9697.jpeg
    IMG_9697.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9707.jpeg
    IMG_9707.jpeg
    555 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9700.jpeg
    IMG_9700.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9711.jpeg
    IMG_9711.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2
That's curious. When I compare the situation in France to Switzerland, the wild life seems to much less stressed here.
It depends what you compare - suburbs of Zurich with rural France, then it is so. But human population density in Switzerland is much higher.

Switzerland has one of highest population densities in Europe. In a similarly populated country, the Netherlands, they found that with high human population density hunting equals habitat destruction. Wildlife cannot use the space available because it fears to be shot and dies out. With some human population density, one cannot have normal human activity in the countryside, hunting and wildlife at the same time. Dutch practically banned hunting in the country.

When I am biking in the suburbs, I see roe deer which run away but only 30 m or so. Why? Because afterwards there is another road and another human. But hunters still try to hunt roe deer there.

I think Switzerland should go the way of the Netherlands and ban hunting in most of the country. I accept the conservation aspect of hunting, and a certain sentiment as the link to the old times which are long gone. But there is simply too much people for animals to avoid everybody. Some hunters feel the same. They complain that hunting has little value anymore, it is more like harvesting than hunting.

Regarding the Hazel Grouse, I am also struggling.

I saw it twice in the forest below Gurnigel. The problem is perhaps not to overlook it. You walk on forest roads and at every forest stream with a dense bushy thicket wait for 15 minutes. If nothing calls, move forward. If the Hazel Grouse calls some distance away, scan with binoculars. It keeps so far away that it is not visible moving with the naked eye. Hazel Grouse basically after every noise or movement runs or flies away while keeping vegetation between itself and the disturbance. But if a human is immobile and makes no noise, it can be confiding.

Today at Sempachsee. The home of Vogelwarte.

The lake is good for Red throated Divers, Smews, Golden Eye, Scaups, Scoters, Jack Snipe and even Great Bitterns. Also good for various Gulls.
Of course I never found any of those.
Some 30 species recorded including Kingfishers, White Storks, Greylag Geese, Common Snipe.
I hoped for some special Gull..what do you make of these?

Attachments

• received_970151081346380.jpeg
    received_970151081346380.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 9
  • received_424212520259810.jpeg
    received_424212520259810.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9
  • received_380294128217948.jpeg
    received_380294128217948.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 10
  • received_1540304783420724.jpeg
    received_1540304783420724.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9
  • received_918299163407876.jpeg
    received_918299163407876.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm not so great at Palearctic gulls but agree it's 1st winter. I would presume it is Yellow-legged but am not very experienced with Herring so shrug. Nothing about it points me at, say, LBB or Caspian.

Now of course the beautiful weather from this week looks to be packing it in for the weekend. Phooey.

Up at Glaubenberg while the weather remains good...interesting area as anything may turn up. I have had three toed woodpecker and Several sightings of Pygmy Owls, as well as Redpolls, Golden Eagles, Nutcrackers.
But today not so much but I love the Alpine Coal and Crested tits. Surprised sighting of several Bramblings.
Weather changing at weekend.

Attachments

• received_379870734965991.jpeg
    received_379870734965991.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3
  • received_706282984911770.jpeg
    received_706282984911770.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 3
  • received_741062997818552.jpeg
    received_741062997818552.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 3
  • received_938589450891122.jpeg
    received_938589450891122.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
  • received_2050322538684595.jpeg
    received_2050322538684595.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240322_123603.jpg
    20240322_123603.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Alpine Swifts already reported in Basel - I used to see them from my Office window in the past.
Best places I see them is at Klingnauersee and around the Tower at Luzern.
Interesting place to see Common, Pallid and Alpine Swifts at the same time! is down in Locano.

1711300430013.png
(my photo earlier)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back