• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tale of 8x32s ~ an enthusiast's celebratory exclamation (2 Viewers)

Interesting physical comparison to another excellent pair of binoculars, the 8x32 SF. Wow, what a difference in form factor. Optically, I find them neck-and-neck in performance.

51580224804_ae59f342e7_h.jpg

I quite appreciate the SFs, as well, in 8x32, 10x32, and 10x42. But the compact Leicas have stolen my heart. Such superb optical performance, wrapped up in this wonderfully compact form factor is quite impressive. I've also learned, over time, that I could be perfectly content without my three x42 bins, wonderful as they are. The 32mm objective format seems to suit my needs and interests ideally.
Not certain if I'll let myself purchase another binocular ... but these are the two at the top of the list if I get around to it. The battle is between the compact size of the Leica (something that is significantly important to me and how I use binoculars) and the wide field of view of the Zeiss.

Handled a 32mm Leica pre HD+ a long time ago and thought it was wonderful but couldn't justify the extra dinero required to pass up on the Swaro EL WB (which was less expensive back in the day when purchased). Handled a 10x32 SF at the big box the other day (actually, now on two separate occasions) and find it intriguing and appealing.

The x32 geo pro has my interest as well, but I have only seen it on paper and video.

Dang dang ZD, have to admit I am envious! But feel it is even better that you are enjoying them as you should be.

Enjoyed all your photos, amazing how strong the draw to water when scarce is on living creatures.

Loved the Bobcats. It finally dawned on me why they mascoted with "Wildcats" being the less rural "Devil" that I am.

Thanks for the write-ups and pics...

CG

Posts like this make me glad all over again that I no longer have to wear glasses and am able to fully enjoy my 8x32 HD+.

I was about to think the same and really impressed by the UV HD+ 32mm on paper (don't own it). I thought it could be a good glass to pair with my HG 8x42 but than i thought about my wife wearing glasses and i really like to share what i see when we only carry one glass :)

Not certain if I'll let myself purchase another binocular ... but these are the two at the top of the list if I get around to it. The battle is between the compact size of the Leica (something that is significantly important to me and how I use binoculars) and the wide field of view of the Zeiss.

Handled a 32mm Leica pre HD+ a long time ago and thought it was wonderful but couldn't justify the extra dinero required to pass up on the Swaro EL WB (which was less expensive back in the day when purchased). Handled a 10x32 SF at the big box the other day (actually, now on two separate occasions) and find it intriguing and appealing.

The x32 geo pro has my interest as well, but I have only seen it on paper and video.

Dang dang ZD, have to admit I am envious! But feel it is even better that you are enjoying them as you should be.

Enjoyed all your photos, amazing how strong the draw to water when scarce is on living creatures.

Loved the Bobcats. It finally dawned on me why they mascoted with "Wildcats" being the less rural "Devil" that I am.

Thanks for the write-ups and pics...

CG
Glad you enjoy the pics and the thread, CG. Thanks for your comments. Both the 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ are fabulous binoculars - virtually identical in form factor, size, and weight. I have to look at the label when picking them up to know which one is in my hands. Similar story with the Victory SF 8x32 and 10x32. I have all four and they, along with the 7x42 UVHD+, are a joy to use.

I was about to think the same and really impressed by the UV HD+ 32mm on paper (don't own it). I thought it could be a good glass to pair with my HG 8x42 but than i thought about my wife wearing glasses...
Is it a foregone conclusion that no one wearing glasses can use the Ultravid 8x32?

I wear close fitting wire rimmed specs. The 7x35, UV8x42, Trinovid 8x32 are all fine, but I would not want to give up much ER. So yes, this has made me wonder about the UV8x32. How big a deal is 2+mm???

Attachments

• 1647944345782.png
    1647944345782.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 14
I wear close fitting wire rimmed specs. The 7x35, UV8x42, Trinovid 8x32 are all fine, but I would not want to give up much ER. So yes, this has made me wonder about the UV8x32. How big a deal is 2+mm???
When I looked at the UV8x32 two years ago, also wearing close fitting wire rimmed glasses the eye relief was fine but it was a slow, careful process to line up their eye lens to my eyes. This In itself would not be a deal breaker. In comparison I found my Meopta Meostar B1.1 8x32 easier to use with eye relief/eye placement and Optically to my eyes comparable costing half the price.

The eye cup/eye lens design can also make all the difference when it comes to even a 2mm difference in eye relief among different manufacturers. I would have been easily as happy with the SV8x32 but not at twice the cost of the Meostar.

Glad you enjoy the pics and the thread, CG. Thanks for your comments. Both the 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ are fabulous binoculars - virtually identical in form factor, size, and weight. I have to look at the label when picking them up to know which one is in my hands. Similar story with the Victory SF 8x32 and 10x32. I have all four and they, along with the 7x42 UVHD+, are a joy to use.
I could not agree more. I absolutely love to use the 8x32 UVHD+. A masterpiece by Leica.

@ZDHart, should you have the 7x42UVHD+ available, would you be so kind and take & post a picture showing the 8x32 UV next to it for size comparison? That would be great.

I could not agree more. I absolutely love to use the 8x32 UVHD+. A masterpiece by Leica.

@ZDHart, should you have the 7x42UVHD+ available, would you be so kind and take & post a picture showing the 8x32 UV next to it for size comparison? That would be great.

Alaska... yes, I have that one too. Here is the 7x42 UVHD+ with the 10x32 UVHD+, which gives you the same size comparison you are interested in. 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ are virtually indistinguishable from each other, size-wise.

51361852001_31b04d1df2_k.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a few photos for size comparison next to 742 and 842 Noctivids.

Attachments

• 8A36002D-36C3-477B-8145-E2C0AE20CBEA.png
    8A36002D-36C3-477B-8145-E2C0AE20CBEA.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 84DF9F79-B74B-4417-8433-4C632C255103.jpeg
    84DF9F79-B74B-4417-8433-4C632C255103.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 9ABD973F-C051-4A1B-81F4-55C4EA0FB5A2.jpeg
    9ABD973F-C051-4A1B-81F4-55C4EA0FB5A2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 48
  • 7749982C-CA52-4AA8-912E-8DC083414C80.jpeg
    7749982C-CA52-4AA8-912E-8DC083414C80.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 46
I totally agree, the Meopta Meostar give nothing up to the other top three Alpha’s
Except brightness. The Meopta lags behind the top three alphas in brightness. If brightness isn't that important to you, they are a good choice. From Gijs van Ginkel transmission tests.20220327_075055.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis, post 34,
we published in another test transmission spectra of the Leica Ultravod 8x32 HD+ in comparison with the Meopta 8x32 and these transmission spectra overlap perfectly, so what you are doing is selective shopping in our data. And the result is that your statement is not correct.
Gijs van Ginkel

Here we go again down the rabbit hole of data, charts and numbers of high quality binoculars. Leaving out the most important thing, the view the eyes see being left out of the discussion. I can’t say I’ve seen those graphs or number charts super imposed through the oculars 🙄. Dennis, you got any pictures of animals to show the difference in brightness of the specific binos we’re talking about. 😏

Dennis, post 34,
we published in another test transmission spectra of the Leica Ultravod 8x32 HD+ in comparison with the Meopta 8x32 and these transmission spectra overlap perfectly, so what you are doing is selective shopping in our data. And the result is that your statement is not correct.
Gijs van Ginkel
Sorry, if I am hand picking it. It is still your data. Do your results vary that much from test to test? If they do, I don't see how they could be that reliable when you get different transmission results on the same binocular on different days. What changed?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back