• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tale of 8x32s ~ an enthusiast's celebratory exclamation (1 Viewer)

Dennis, post 40,
If you scan the different data, you can see that Meopta also has worked to improve their products. There is five years difference between the spectra you show in your post 34 (Meopta 8x32 from 2011)and the spectra of the updated 8x32 Meopta from 2016, they are also in the published data of House of Outdoor, but in another report and I have listed both together in a table . So, to answer your question: no the spectra are not dependent on my amount of sleep that day.
Gijs van Ginkel

Here we go again down the rabbit hole of data, charts and numbers of high quality binoculars. Leaving out the most important thing, the view the eyes see being left out of the discussion. I can’t say I’ve seen those graphs or number charts super imposed through the oculars 🙄. Dennis, you got any pictures of animals to show the difference in brightness of the specific binos we’re talking about. 😏
I have tried a lot of Meopta Meostars and I never thought they were as bright as the other alpha binoculars. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that their transmission graph is not flat across the whole light spectrum, rather than their peak transmission. Even a Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 is flatter. Allbinos.

"The maximum transmission is good because it amounts to almost 94% and for a set of binoculars with Schmidt-Pechan prisms it is a result which can gain recognition. Regrettably, the Meopta hasn’t acquired coatings able to provide flat transmission graph. The optical system showed significant differences when it comes to the transmittance of particular wavelengths, and it caused problems with color rendition. It’s worth emphasizing, though, that the situation is still better than in the case of Russian devices or even Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars. It doesn’t change the fact, though, that in this category, 25643_meopta_meostar.jpg

224539_nik_mon8x30.jpg

I have tried a lot of Meopta Meostars and I never thought they were as bright as the other alpha binoculars. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that their transmission graph is not flat across the whole light spectrum, rather than their peak transmission. Even a Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 is flatter. Allbinos.

"The maximum transmission is good because it amounts to almost 94% and for a set of binoculars with Schmidt-Pechan prisms it is a result which can gain recognition. Regrettably, the Meopta hasn’t acquired coatings able to provide flat transmission graph. The optical system showed significant differences when it comes to the transmittance of particular wavelengths, and it caused problems with color rendition. It’s worth emphasizing, though, that the situation is still better than in the case of Russian devices or even Carl Zeiss Jena binoculars. It doesn’t change the fact, though, that in this category, View attachment 1436622

View attachment 1436626
But the view is awesome.... however you dress it up

Dennis, post 40,
If you scan the different data, you can see that Meopta also has worked to improve their products. There is five years difference between the spectra you show in your post 34 (Meopta 8x32 from 2011)and the spectra of the updated 8x32 Meopta from 2016...
I think he's ignoring the updated data you've mentioned, preferring his own 'expert' opinion over unbiased comparative, and updated data.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back