• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird are you most proud of having in your garden? (2 Viewers)

My favorite yard sightings so far have been a fox sparrow that hung around for a couple of months, indigo bunting, white crowned sparrow,cooper's hawk, c. waxwings, baltimore oriole and a yellow warbler.--Larry from ct.

Last edited:
For me it has to be the three Buzzards playing in the sky above the house and the waxwings in the tree outside my office window at work

I like the Rosefinch Mary, gripped by that one!

My best birds in my suburban Derby garden have been Arctic Redpoll (stayed for 2 days, cracking thing in with Mealies during the invasion year), Waxwings (3 times), family of Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers, Hobby, Buzzard (getting more regular), Peregrine and Tawny Owls.

My last new bird in the garden was in January, a male Pheasant sitting on top of our hedgerow! Doesn't quite beat Janes garden though.

All the best

Cheers Johnny1 and James-you say Derbyshire, for now. I'd stay there with birds like that in the garden!
One striking thing about these threads is that you never know what could arrive! If we had time to watch all day, I'm sure we'd be surprised at what pops in if only for a few moments. I reckon 'strangers' are attracted by the other birds heading for the feeders and join them to see if there's anything they can eat.
Mary

kajrowe said:
Hello everyone,

Including fly-overs what bird are you most proud of haveing in your garden? For me it was an avocet fly-over low, 1 day after I saw my very first one! sod's law!

Kristian

P.S. Add photos if possible, please.

Hi Kajrowe
My most exciting visitor has to be a Goshawk Xmas Day, got quite a shock as it came from nowhere and took a Blackbird off the ground feeder, alas while feeding I noticed that it had Jessies on one leg and realised that it had to be an escapee from A19 Birds of Prey up the other end of the village.

DenBee

well i remembered that in our old garden i saw white stork fly over and my dad saw red footed falcon that rosefinch in mary garden is amazing!!!

re photo of the Barn Owl.

sorry if I've caused any concern with the Barn Owl chick photo.

would like to make it the clear the bird is not being handled by me but by a qualified & licensed bird ringer who works with the Hawk & Owl Trust, they monitor all our owl boxes (for the last 5 yrs).

The chick had been removed to ring it and was returned along with its siblings shortly after the photo was taken.

again sorry if I've posted something I shouldn't, I can see why it would be considered "sensitive" but can assure no one cares more about the Owls here than me.

In the gardern I've really enjoyed seeing a scarlet tanager, an indigo bunting, evening grosbeaks, great-crested flycatchers, cooper's hawk, and rose-breasted grosbeaks. Flyovers and seen froms include osprey, belted kingfisher, and great blue heron.

Scott

Fly-over (or hover over) Red Kites
Feeding - Goldfinches because I tried so hard for three years to get some, and finally succeeded last year.

When I lived down south I had a Night Heron in my garden but nowadays I have to put up with regular flyovers from Ospreys but a recent highlight was a flock of 40+ Black Tailed Godwits high over the house heading west. I did not get a sniff of a Waxwing this late Autumn.

In no particular order:

Corncrake
Hen Harrier
Firecrest
Peregrine
Raven
Chough
House Sparrow

Last edited:
Feeding: Goldfinches 'cos I tried so hard to get them too, as songbird did.
Fieldfare I'd only ever seen once before I saw it in the garden!
Reed Bunting with some Chaffinches for a few seconds! Amazing! And it was at a time when I would normally be at school - I almost never saw it!

I think Mary's right in saying that anything could turn up, I'm sure they do and we just never see them!

I still love all the birds that I see regularly though!

kajrowe said:
Hello everyone,

Including fly-overs what bird are you most proud of haveing in your garden? For me it was an avocet fly-over low, 1 day after I saw my very first one! sod's law!

Kristian

P.S. Add photos if possible, please.

I suppose it would have to be the Sparrowhawk last week but four robins (2 pairs)at the same time was a bit hectic today, my resident gang of 20 Plus House sparrows didnt take much notice of the bickering either
Ian

Richard D said:
Must be yesterday's Little Egret.

Or maybe Thursday's Yellowhammers (well in the hedge that marks the boundary between the garden and the field so I'm counting them!).

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back