• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are E-Bay/demo bins really a risk? (1 Viewer)

Marley

Hi all,

With the strengthening of the dollar against the Euro, us yanks have seen top-end bin prices shoot towards the moon. It makes searching for a good deal even more important.

That being said, there are typically several Leica Ultravid and Zeiss FL products on E-Bay at ~1/3 off. These are always listed as "reconditioned" or "demo" glasses and come with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

I just wonder if anyone has experience buying this type of bin? The Swaro/Zeiss/Leica products that I own (or have owned) have never needed warranty work as they are of top quality. Is the reduced price worth the risk of the shorter warranty period? I keep seeing stories of folks that have sent bins back to the manufacturer for some out-of-warranty problem and they come back good as new and often at no charge.

I would really like a pair of 7x42 FLs, but the $1600 price is currently too high. What do you all think? Do I wait for the Euro to come charging back?

Thanks again for all of your knowledge and wisdom!

Rgds,

Steffan

My local Leica dealer says that he can get re-conditioed Leicas from Leica at a discount but doesn't - he offered to get me a pair if i wanted - so they do exist.

If buying from Ebay check out the sellers feedback - if it is good, and the items sold are similar to what you are buying you should be OK.

Make sure that you buy through Ebay, preferably with Paypal - Paypal are very good at resolving disputes.

Offers too good to be true probably are!!

Steffan,

Basically, a true demo, with the one year manufacturer's warranty, is a good deal. Most binocular problems show up quickly. I own a 8x32 BN Demo and I am now happy that I purchased it.

I was unaware that Zeiss limited the warranty on their Demos. I thought any Zeiss USA import was covered. I have seen Zeiss Demos advertised with the full guarantee, but not on ebay.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Pinewood said:
Steffan,

Basically, a true demo, with the one year manufacturer's warranty, is a good deal. Most binocular problems show up quickly. I own a 8x32 BN Demo and I am now happy that I purchased it.

I was unaware that Zeiss limited the warranty on their Demos. I thought any Zeiss USA import was covered. I have seen Zeiss Demos advertised with the full guarantee, but not on ebay.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Arthur, I'm about 99.9% sure you're correct. I've personally never seen a Zeiss demo for sale, but their warranty has always been fully transferable. I have seen several Leica demos with a one year warranty.

Steffan, If you decide to buy, I'd suggest you contact Doug @ Camera Land New York directly ([email protected]). He's one of the retailers who sells the demo Leica's on Ebay, but he can usually offer a better price over the phone because he would avoid Ebay's fees.

Best of luck in your decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back