Alternative names: Manus Owl; Admiralty Islands Masked Owl
- Tyto manusi
33-46 cm, wingspan about 90 cm. The only Tyto owl on Manus.
- Prominent facial disc
- Black eyes
- Dark buffy-brown upperparts
- Rufescent brownish-buff underparts with large blackish spots
- Black tail with narrow, irregular yellowish-brown bars
Females are larger than males. Juveniles undescribed.
Occurs in rainforest, probably only in hilly terrain at higher elevations.
Recorded roosting in caves.
Diet undescribed but feeds probably on small rodents, other small vertebrates and large insects.
No information available. Nests presumably in tree-hollows.
Presumably a sedentary species.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2013. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.8., with updates to August 2013. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved July 2014)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2021) Manus Masked Owl. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 15 April 2021 from https://www.birdforum.net/wiki/Manus_Masked_Owl