• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sound recording and sonograms – an absolute beginner (1 Viewer)

No, but my daughter has abandoned her minidisc player for an ipod so I am really quite tempted-might think about treating myself at Xmas!! Suspect it will be a project for later years though-a relative latecomer to birding and still learning-still it would have been nice to have recorded the various songs and calls at local nuthatch/wood warbler sites I have been going to regularly.

There you go then your more than halfway there, all you need is a decent Mic.
As Capercaille stated you can pick up the Telinga tr55 for 55 spondoolies, so no need to wait untill xmas.
As for relativly new to birding I think that this would be the right time to start learning about calls. I have been birding since 1976 and I think I am s*** when it comes to them. I only wished something like The Sound Approach had opened my eyes/ears earlier,that way i might be a little bit sharper.
So no time like the present.

I believe there was at least two singing Wood Warbs at Lowrie's this year.

Just curious what settings people use in Raven Lite? Do people change the three variables (brightness, contrast and sharpness) for every single recording, or do you have preferred settings you use all the time?

Murray

I change them every time as the quality of the recordings can be so variable, but I'm just a beginner, so I might be doing it wrong!

Oh, the temptation,will count the pennies when back next week from Menorca with family.........

You know it makes sense!;)

The reason I went down the cheap and cheerful route was that I knew I wasn't going to have a lot of time to devote to sound recording (you can see from this thread how little I have actually achieved in the past year!), but I wanted to see if I could get a set-up that was effective for casual use, which might encourage others to give it a go. So far it seems to be working!

You know it makes sense!;)

The reason I went down the cheap and cheerful route was that I knew I wasn't going to have a lot of time to devote to sound recording (you can see from this thread how little I have actually achieved in the past year!), but I wanted to see if I could get a set-up that was effective for casual use, which might encourage others to give it a go. So far it seems to be working!

Yep youv'e snared two deranged hibby's so far.
Keep up the good work.

Hi Again guys,

One last question regarding the Sennheiser MKE300 mic.

I have searched the web and the best price I can get/see for this mic is 93GBP for the MKE300 Video version and 129GBP for the standard MKE300 version.

Now what if any difference in sound quality are there between these two similar mics.

Obviously no point in buying the MKE300 version if the much cheaper MKE300Video version does as just a good job.

Thoughts please and thanks again.

Don't sweat this one - take the cheapest.

The MKE300 video version has a small piece of copper foil soldered to shield the mic amp near the mic capsule and termination. See attached pic. There is no difference in sound quality, other than the absence of the sawing noise if you stick this atop a video camera.

I guess reading between the lines Sennheiser screwed up by testing this as a pure audio product and then taking flak when people found it picked up hash from their camcorders when placed so close, hence the addition of the foil.

You have the additional advantage that if you do want to use it for video you're all set :)

Attachments

• P1040005s.jpg
    P1040005s.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 162
Hi Guys,
Just a quick word to say my Seinheisser MKE300 mic arrived in the post today as well as bump this excellent thread up.

Sadly still waiting for my recorder, as I had hoped that it would have arrived before Friday as I am off to Madeira, were I was hoping to have Zino's Petrel as my first recording.

Ah well will just have to do the next best thing, a Hibs game on the radio when I get back8-P

cheers and thanks for the gen on the mic

I haven't added anything to this thread for a while, but today I went for a walk in the woods where I had made my first crossbill recordings (way back in post #35, last December). There were quite a few crossbills about today, and I experienced both the positives and the negatives of the sony minidisc as a recording medium.

Firstly, I got caught out by the crossbills in the carpark scenario again. I was just setting up the minidisc player to record when I heard a small flock cheeping away in some trees not far away. As I frantically tried to press the right combination of buttons and navigate through the menus to maximise the microphone gain, the cheeping got louder and louder as the crossbills flew towards me, right overhead and then disappeared into the distance just as I had finished setting up the recorder. Very frustrating.

Fortunately I encountered a couple of flyover groups later on. However these were a bit further away (50-100 metres) and I wasn't sure that I would get a decent sonogram. As it turned out I got at least as good a sonogram with the minidisc at 50-100 metres (two sonograms on the left below) as I had got with my old voice recorder last year at 15-20 metres (sonogram on the right below), using the same microphone.

The crossbills this year seem to be the same call-type as last year (1B / Parakeet)

Attachments

• Dec-07 Crossbills 1.jpg
    Dec-07 Crossbills 1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Dec-07 Crossbills 2.jpg
    Dec-07 Crossbills 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Dec-06 Crossbills.jpg
    Dec-06 Crossbills.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 138
In case anyone's interested, here are mp3s of today's crossbills

Attachments

• 02-12-07 Crossbills 1.mp3
    44.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 02-12-07 Crossbills 2.mp3
    64.6 KB · Views: 215
Hi all
A while since I posted on this thread, but I now have some xbill calls with my new gear.
I have transfered these using Sony's Sonic Wear to the computer, however I now need to get some sonagrams done, whats the best way of doing this?
I am a bit confused, do I need two different aplications,one to edit the softwear and another to create the sonagram, or can you do it all in one with say Raven or Cornell.

cheers

Hi all
A while since I posted on this thread, but I now have some xbill calls with my new gear.
I have transfered these using Sony's Sonic Wear to the computer, however I now need to get some sonagrams done, whats the best way of doing this?
I am a bit confused, do I need two different aplications,one to edit the softwear and another to create the sonagram, or can you do it all in one with say Raven or Cornell.

cheers

The ones I've done, I've edited the sound with Audacity and then made a sonogram with Syrinx, although Raven Lite does the job too. With Syrinx, you just open a WAV file and the sonogram is automatically generated. You can then fiddle with how it's presented.

The ones I've done, I've edited the sound with Audacity and then made a sonogram with Syrinx, although Raven Lite does the job too. With Syrinx, you just open a WAV file and the sonogram is automatically generated. You can then fiddle with how it's presented.

I use a similar process. I use audacity to edit the recordings if the calls only occupy a small part of the total recording (as is often the case). When you open the recording in audacity, you can highlight the section containing the calls and then save that selection as a new wav file.

To get a sonogram you then have to use a program like Raven or Syrinx. I haven't used Syrinx, but in Raven, you simply open the wav file and the sonogram will appear automatically as one of two windows. You can alter the horizontal and vertical axes of the sonogram chart (and the contrast and brightness) until you get a reasonable image.

It would be interesting to see any sonograms you get.

Hi All,
As I stated earlier I have managed some recordings, as well as downloaded the Audacity programme for editing them.

Now the nightmare begins!!

I have been at it all evening trying to work Audacity out, I sent some files over from Sony's Sonic stage but all I get is what can only be best described as a scream when I hit the play button, have I sent the files correctly and if not how do you do this?

cheers

please feel free to PM this useless fud

Hi All,
As I stated earlier I have managed some recordings, as well as downloaded the Audacity programme for editing them.

Now the nightmare begins!!

I have been at it all evening trying to work Audacity out, I sent some files over from Sony's Sonic stage but all I get is what can only be best described as a scream when I hit the play button, have I sent the files correctly and if not how do you do this?

cheers

please feel free to PM this useless fud

I think I have worked out what exactly is the problem here.

In Audacity, once you have transfered your sounds over the file is shown on the screen in what I take to be WAV or some other type of format.
However my file is totally distorted, so a look in Audacity Help points me to the problem in that it says that the file has whats called a Vertical Rule between 1 and -1 and anything over will be distorted, my file is clearly well over this.
How can I sort that ?

To see what I mean go into
Audacity Help
Tracks> Audiotrack
and read the section entitled Vertical Slide

thanks for any help, particuarly Capercaillie71 whom PM'd me with some suggestions.

I think I have worked out what exactly is the problem here.

In Audacity, once you have transfered your sounds over the file is shown on the screen in what I take to be WAV or some other type of format.
However my file is totally distorted, so a look in Audacity Help points me to the problem in that it says that the file has whats called a Vertical Rule between 1 and -1 and anything over will be distorted, my file is clearly well over this.
How can I sort that ?

I don't know if you've made any progress with this, but it sounds like something has gone wrong with the file before it reaches Audacity (ie. during the Sonic Stage Transfer), particularly as you said the recording sounded OK on Sonic Stage.

I'll describe the process I use to transfer the files using Sonic Stage in the following post and you can see if you are doing anything different.

I am using Sonic Stage version 4.3

Using Sonic Stage 4.3 to transfer files from HiMD

1) Connect HiMD recorder to PC with USB cable

2) Open Sonic Stage 4.3

3) Click on 'Transfer' (See picture 1 below)

4) Select tracks on HiMD window on right hand side (See picture 1 below)

5) Click on Transfer to 'My Library' arrow (See picture 1 below)

6) After the files have finished transferring, I close down Sonic Stage and open Audacity, click on File>Open, and browse to wherever the transferred files have been saved*

*To determine where the transferred files are saved by Sonic Stage, follow the procedure descibed in Picture 2 below:

1) Tools>Options>Transfer
2)Select device (HiMD) and click on 'Transfer Settings'
3) Under 'Transfer Settings' click on 'Advanced'
4) Under 'Advanced Transfer Settings' look at 'Import settings' and make sure 'Save in WAV format' is ticked and check/change the Import Location

Of course, this may be no use of you are using another version of Sonic Stage.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 125
Hi Capercaillie,

I have not had the chance to do anything more with it so far, however I did do a bit of reading up on it and I suspect that I did not save the files as WAV!

Thanks for the above, I will have a go after xmas again

cheers

Hi Caper 71,

Thanks for the info, I went back to my original Crossbill recordings to see what format I had saved then in, only to find I had somehow deleted all of them:C

So today I set off in less than ideal conditions for another try at recording Crossbill's, I immediately found a feeding flock of twenty birds,rising to forty two later on.
I managed to get quite a lot of calls, mainly singing males but also some quite good excitement calls.

I have successfully downloaded these in wav format to Audacity, however the wind in the trees was at times a problem, but hopefully I can get some good sonagrams when I get some editing done.

Whilst recording I punched up the gain on the mike, however I found this to be quite awkward as I was holding both the mike and recorder at the same time and some thumb-ling can thus be heard, would it be better to put the mike on a small tripod say,thus keeing the hands free to use the controls more effectively and silently.
What do others do or use?

Will try for more calls tomorrow if the weather is better

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back