• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision impression (1 Viewer)

Over the past 3 months I’ve been on the hunt for a pair of high quality
binoculars primarily for bird watching and nature observation. I’ve been
tossing between 8x42/10x42 vs 8x32; also alpha binocs top-end vs medium
priced models of the same brand (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski). After much deliberation I have become a happy owner of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision. I read countless reviews on the Internet which have helped me in making the decision and Iam making this posting hoping it may help someone looking for good pair of binocs like me. I am no expert in binocular optics and my observations are purely based on my personal experience.

SIZE: Swarovski EL 8.5x42 are approx. 50g heavier than its Zeiss SF and
Leica Ultravid counterparts; longer than Ultravid and shorter than Zeiss
SF. In daily use they don’t seem heavier at all, in fact they feel lighter
than they really are. This is the combination of their balance, open bridge
design that allows wrap-around grip and excellent non-slip surface. They
feel so comfortable and secure in my hand that I often carry them in my
right hand while hiking. My wife’s first comment when picking these
binoculars was they feel lighter than her pair of Nikons (which in fact
are lighter than Swarowski). At the same time Swarovski feel solid and that
weight actually helps keep them steady. I considered smaller binoculars
like Ultravid 8x32 and Swarovski EL 10 x 32 but couldn’t hold them
sufficiently steady for long. Leica Ultravids are by far the most compact
models of all - 8x42 at 14cm is very short and 8x32 so tiny and light -
it is almost like holding a toy binoculars. If compactness is the most
important you can’t beat Leica, but that comes at a price in longer min.
focus at 3m and smaller field of view. EL8x32 don’t feel much more
compact than 8.5x42, yes they are 250g lighter but this weight doesn’t
come as a burden in EL8.5x42 - in fact it helps steady the binocs. As
much as I wanted to buy 8x32 in the favour of lightness I found 8.5x42
sitting in my hands more naturally. If you really need compact alpha
binos go for 8x32 ultravid; EL8x32 is light but not really compact - they
are nearly the same length as 8x42 Ultravid.

BUILD and DESIGN: Open bridge design makes EL8.5x42 much easier and more secure to hold and for longer than the Ultravids. I prefer to carry and
feel them in my right hand as I go on trails always ready to spot a bird,
wallaby, or even a Koala I saw last week. EL8.5x42 feels like a high
quality, super-precise analog instrument built and designed for
birdwatchers primarily, which of course can be used for general
observation. I love that feel! The texture and grip of the green, non-slip
surface is just right. Leica Ultravids feel well too, but the rubber seems
more prone to surface scratches, not a big deal as this is cosmetics, but
I don’t like the look. Leica's utilitarian design is bland and they don’t
feel like an object of desire. Zeiss design is too “military” to my liking
with the exception of Victory SF range, but they come in the light grey colour
only, which I don’t find appealing at all. I noticed the Internet posting
of Victory SF front bridge breaking after a short fall on the tiled floor,
and the bridge appears to be made of plastic rather than metal? Victory SF are also too long for my liking.

FOCUS: Leica has the longest close-focus distance at 3m - Swarovski (and
Zeiss) close focus is at 1.5m (if not less). I wondered whether in daily
use I’ll really care about close focus, but it actually does make the
binoculars more versatile and let you observe things close to you in
incredible detail. From close focus to infinity Leica takes 1 1/4 focus
wheel turns, where Swarovski needs 2 and a half turns (almost double!). On
Swarovski the whole 1st turn is to cover the first several meters (close
focus), the second turn will take you almost to infinity. The focus wheel
is low gear allowing you to precisely fine-tune focus. Everytime I look
through EL8.5x42 I instinctively give a light touch to the focus wheel to
make sure I have the view in perfect focus. Even when the subject looks
in good focus it is amazing to discover you can make it even better
focused and sharper. The focus wheel turns lightly and any lighter would be
too light. This is where I keep the point finger all the time. For that
matter it would be better to have the focus wheel 1cm moved forward (like
in Victory SF) which would be more natural finger position. This is the
only improvement in these binoculars I can think of. Diopter Adjustment
is as good as in Leica Ultravid models, in fact I prefer the indicators
position on EL8.5x42 rather than into-the-face position on Ultravids.

OPTICS: Astonishing clarity, definition and contrast. No colour
shift, colour balance neutral (maybe marginally warm). Incredible
resolution makes you notice even the smallest move of the focus wheel - I
couldn’t quite experience that with Leica Ultravids. Put simply it is a
joy to look through EL8.5x42. These binocs have 1 (or 2?)
additional elements in each barrel as compared to Leica ultravids which
accounts for their extra weight. They have remarkable FoV considering 8.5
magnification.

ROLLING BALL: None. Zero. I couldn’t see any RB despite looking for it. I panned the binocs extensively in different environment and haven’t seen any RB. There are mixed reports on the Internet - some say it can be quite distracting; some say that some people can see it some cannot; and some have seen it on the more compact EL models. If this is a point of concern you must try these binocs. From what I see in the EL 8.5x42 version I hold there is no RB whatsoever.

BRIGHTNESS: Very bright and noticeably brighter than EL 8x32 I tested side-by-side in the late afternoon on a cloudy day. A couple of reports on the Internet say 8.5x42 over 8x32 will only give 5 minutes extra glassing time during the first and last light. This may be true on a cloudless day and out in the open, but on a cloudy day and hiking in the forest you need very bright binocs to be able to identify many birds that move fast and hide in the branches. In the less-than-ideal conditions the extra brightness of 8.5x42 will be noticeable over 8x32 throughout the day IMHO.

BLACKOUT: EL8.5x42 were the only binocs I tried that didn’t show any blackout, offering excellent viewing comfort.

VALUE and AVAILABILITY: Leica Ultravid HD Plus was available but had a $500 extra price tag over the non-plus version. For something that is essentially the same binoculars with slightly improved coatings (a slightly updated model) I found such price difference unacceptable. Leica offers the shortest warranty and seems to have questionable reputation in customer service. Zeiss Victory SF are still unavailable in Australia (due to high demand worldwide they say). Ordering from the US reputable retailers would be prohibitively expensive due to low Australian Dollar, import duty and shipping cost. Additionally I had no chance to hold these binocs and try them out and was not willing to wait until Sep.2015 when they are expected in Australian stores. Swarovski EL8.5x42 were available and at a very competitive price at the Brisbane’s most reputable optics retailer. I was not only impressed by the binoculars which are outstanding, but also by the patience and customer service of the sales people as I took more than a half an hour to try a few models and compare them side-by-side. On top of that they offered me a much better price than any of the Australian Internet retailers who didn’t even want to do price-match.

DECISION: At the end after reading so many reviews and opinions and trying a few models the choice was suprisingly easy - Swarovski EL 8.5x42 swarovision. These are absolute top level binoculars delivering on all relevant fronts, with no fault I could identify. It is hard to imagine how this model can possibly be improved, with the only exception of the focus wheel whose ideal position would be slightly more forward. I cannot see how anyone in the market for 8x42 binocs could go wrong with buying these binoculars - this is a sure buy that will make your birding and observing nature in general a lot more enjoyable.

I hope this was useful to anyone looking for a top-level binoculars and may have helped them in making a decision.

Very nice sir, and I feel the same way about my new 10x42 SV's. Some say the 8.5's are even better???? That's saying something. Glad to see you are enjoying them.

You have a beautiful pair of binoculars. Nice review. I agree on the Swarovski. I have the SV Swarovision 8x32 for it's smaller size but the 8.5x42 is hard to beat. I think you made the right choice not choosing the Zeiss 8x42 SF.

Thanks a lot guys :)

jgraider I was really considering EL10x42 and imagine the optics quality would be identical to 8.5x42. I hope you are enjoying them a lot.

My reasons for 10x42 were:
- higher magnification, same brilliant optics in the same package - i.e. no extra weight
- with the same close 1.5m close focus and even higher magnification you can get even closer to insects or other creatures that will let you come so close.

Reasons against 10x42 (from my perspective) were:
- 10 power is not that much different than 8.5 power
- it is noticeably harder to keep 10 power steady for longer as 8.5 power. I felt that what I gain in power I lost even more through shakiness.
- due to the very high binoculars resolution in most cases you see exactly the same level of detail with the slightly smaller image of 8.5x - and that is if both binocs are on a tripod - due to shakiness I felt I was seeing more with 8.5 power. The shakiness was not an immediate issue for me - only if I was to hold the binocs for say more than 30 seconds - so for quick viewing 10 power may be just as fine, but for longer observing I found 8.5 power better (with the addition of the larger FoV which matters in longer observing).
- Field of View and Brightness reduced as compared to 8.5x. Now this is really important if you are observing wildlife in the forest. In the subtropical forests of South-East Queensland (the well-know Lamington National Park bird-mecca is where I had the pleasure to "break-in" my new EL) you need as much light and FoV as possible to be able to spot and track the birds hiding or flying through the branches. These birds don't stay still but move around a lot. Seeing them through the branches with the naked eye is easy - spotting them with the binocs in a sharp focus with all the branches in between is challenging. With the smaller FoV it would be even harder to lock-in on these beautiful birds which look brown from a distance but in fact are quite colourful. I imagine for such viewing 7x42 binocs would be even better suited. Observing wildlife out in the open is a different ball game and 10x42 may be better suited as you don't need huge FoV and brightness. So unless one is to have more than one pair of binoculars I find 8.5x42 to be the best all-rounders.
- smaller exit pupil of EL10x42 means not just less light but reduced viewing comfort requiring eyes closely aligned with the exit pupil. I fear the binocs would be more prone to causing blackouts which for me is a deal breaker - I don't like the blackouts :)

Cheers

denco, EL8x32 were the binocs I initially planned to buy. I was so impressed by the reviews on the Internet that was going to buy them without even trying them. Two big internet retailers were very firm on the price, which was putting me off a bit. At the same time and much to my surprise I found a brick-and-mortar retailer nearby stocking ELs (lesson learnt don't rely on Internet searches alone but check the Swarovski dealership network on their website). Once I tried EL8x32 and 8.5x42 side-by-side the decision was easy - I swang to EL8.5x42 very quickly :). To sweeten the deal the Retailer offered them at only $70 more than what I was supposed to pay for EL8x32 on-line.

denco, EL8x32 were the binocs I initially planned to buy. I was so impressed by the reviews on the Internet that was going to buy them without even trying them. Two big internet retailers were very firm on the price, which was putting me off a bit. At the same time and much to my surprise I found a brick-and-mortar retailer nearby stocking ELs (lesson learnt don't rely on Internet searches alone but check the Swarovski dealership network on their website). Once I tried EL8x32 and 8.5x42 side-by-side the decision was easy - I swang to EL8.5x42 very quickly :). To sweeten the deal the Retailer offered them at only $70 more than what I was supposed to pay for EL8x32 on-line.
It sounds like you get a really good deal. 95% of people don't notice RB. The 8.5x42's are a little easier to use with the bigger exit pupil for sure. I am sure they will get a lot of use in and around Brisbane. A lot of cool birds down there. HaHa.

This week I tried Svarovisions for the very first time: 8x32, 8,5x42 and 10x42.
8,5 and 10x42 both have an amazing image sharpness over the entire FOV. 8x32 is not as good at the edges. Still the size and weight made it my favorite of these models.

I find only one serious drawback with the Svarovisions: while the large ocular lenses provide a good eye relief the eyecup edges are unnecessary high, resulting in a decreased useful eye relief. I would like to come 1-2mm closer to really get the perfect open view with eyeglasses on.
There is margin to lower the eyecup edges and I would hope that Swarovski will offer eyecups with slightly lower edges as an option. If so it will be very close to the perfect binocular!

Last edited:
Swedpat, the size and weight swayed me to the 32mm, any minor drop in quality was more than made up for by the lighter weight and larger fov, its made a 42mm a bit redundant for me. That and a MM3 50ED is all I need 99% of the time.

Swedpat, the size and weight swayed me to the 32mm, any minor drop in quality was more than made up for by the lighter weight and larger fov, its made a 42mm a bit redundant for me. That and a MM3 50ED is all I need 99% of the time.

I agree. Swarovision 8x32 still has a very large sweet spot and it feels just perfect in the hand. In direct comparison the 42mm models feel heavy and clumsy.
The brightness is adequate for dusk and dawn and 42mm size is brighter only under very dark conditions, and the difference is not very big.
Swarovision 8x32 is probably the best candidate for a "if I could have only one binocular" I have ever experienced.

Troview and Swedepat glad you love 8x32 as your most preferred binocs. Different experience (and reviews too) EL8x32 vs EL8.5/10x42 just means if you are hunting for the best binocs you need to be able to try them out and compare. In Brisbane (perhaps unlike Sydney and Melbourne) that's not very easy. Only a handful of retailers stock the alpha binocs and don't have their full range. As said before I have come across reviews that are absolutely raving about EL8x32 and was about to buy them, but when trying them side-by-side with the 8.5x42 I found 8.5x42 better for me for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Many people said that the optical and built quality of the alpha binocs are on par that it largely boils downs to the personal preference. Sometimes I can't help feel that we are spoilt with the choice of alternatives and can't decide what to buy. I am sure that I could happily live with either Zeiss, SV or Leica binocs without ever trying the other brand, easily adjust to their physical properties and bring my glassing experience to a new level. The fun part starts when you have an option to try them side by side, cannot decide on the features to trade off and what's most important to you and then dive into the forums and online reviews for advice and others people experience - all the good stuff of course but cannot replace you going to the store, handling the binocs and being clear with yourself on how you plan to use them.

Cheers
Mark

Troview and Swedepat glad you love 8x32 as your most preferred binocs. Different experience (and reviews too) EL8x32 vs EL8.5/10x42 just means if you are hunting for the best binocs you need to be able to try them out and compare. In Brisbane (perhaps unlike Sydney and Melbourne) that's not very easy. Only a handful of retailers stock the alpha binocs and don't have their full range. As said before I have come across reviews that are absolutely raving about EL8x32 and was about to buy them, but when trying them side-by-side with the 8.5x42 I found 8.5x42 better for me for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Many people said that the optical and built quality of the alpha binocs are on par that it largely boils downs to the personal preference. Sometimes I can't help feel that we are spoilt with the choice of alternatives and can't decide what to buy. I am sure that I could happily live with either Zeiss, SV or Leica binocs without ever trying the other brand, easily adjust to their physical properties and bring my glassing experience to a new level. The fun part starts when you have an option to try them side by side, cannot decide on the features to trade off and what's most important to you and then dive into the forums and online reviews for advice and others people experience - all the good stuff of course but cannot replace you going to the store, handling the binocs and being clear with yourself on how you plan to use them.

Cheers
Mark

Totally agree Mark, all of the names you named are top notch brands, some also include the Nikon EDG as alpha level optics although I have never tried them. My dealer doesn't store them, as he personally thinks there are better alternatives, and Nikon warranty in NL/Be seems to be pretty awful.
It's good to have a dealer around who stocks a lot of bino's, I spent hours and hours on testing binos in the shop, just for fun, without the need to buy. Because they know me, I'm often sent outside with a couple of binos to try. It's good fun, and I can take my time|=)|
Too bad not everybody has got such a dealer around. It makes choosing a bin a lot easier.
But like you said, I also could happily live with either of the big three, I've owned binos of all 3 brands, and it's all comes down to a matter of preference.
You also get used to them in time, and regardless which top level bin one will choose, I'm sure he/she would be happy with either of them.
Because I really like a flat field, the options are getting limited. My choice was to trade the new SLC8x42 for a more compact 8x32SV. Although it is a nice bin, I like the 8.5x42 better. Less prone to glare, and the bigger exit pupil just makes the viewing experience more comfortable.
But the 8x32SV is indeed a great allrounder.

Cheers,

Gijs

Over the past 3 months I’ve been on the hunt for a pair of high quality
binoculars primarily for bird watching and nature observation. I’ve been
tossing between 8x42/10x42 vs 8x32; also alpha binocs top-end vs medium
priced models of the same brand (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski). After much deliberation I have become a happy owner of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision. I read countless reviews on the Internet which have helped me in making the decision and Iam making this posting hoping it may help someone looking for good pair of binocs like me. I am no expert in binocular optics and my observations are purely based on my personal experience.

SIZE: Swarovski EL 8.5x42 are approx. 50g heavier than its Zeiss SF and
Leica Ultravid counterparts; longer than Ultravid and shorter than Zeiss
SF. In daily use they don’t seem heavier at all, in fact they feel lighter
than they really are. This is the combination of their balance, open bridge
design that allows wrap-around grip and excellent non-slip surface. They
feel so comfortable and secure in my hand that I often carry them in my
right hand while hiking. My wife’s first comment when picking these
binoculars was they feel lighter than her pair of Nikons (which in fact
are lighter than Swarowski). At the same time Swarovski feel solid and that
weight actually helps keep them steady. I considered smaller binoculars
like Ultravid 8x32 and Swarovski EL 10 x 32 but couldn’t hold them
sufficiently steady for long. Leica Ultravids are by far the most compact
models of all - 8x42 at 14cm is very short and 8x32 so tiny and light -
it is almost like holding a toy binoculars. If compactness is the most
important you can’t beat Leica, but that comes at a price in longer min.
focus at 3m and smaller field of view. EL8x32 don’t feel much more
compact than 8.5x42, yes they are 250g lighter but this weight doesn’t
come as a burden in EL8.5x42 - in fact it helps steady the binocs. As
much as I wanted to buy 8x32 in the favour of lightness I found 8.5x42
sitting in my hands more naturally. If you really need compact alpha
binos go for 8x32 ultravid; EL8x32 is light but not really compact - they
are nearly the same length as 8x42 Ultravid.

BUILD and DESIGN: Open bridge design makes EL8.5x42 much easier and more secure to hold and for longer than the Ultravids. I prefer to carry and
feel them in my right hand as I go on trails always ready to spot a bird,
wallaby, or even a Koala I saw last week. EL8.5x42 feels like a high
quality, super-precise analog instrument built and designed for
birdwatchers primarily, which of course can be used for general
observation. I love that feel! The texture and grip of the green, non-slip
surface is just right. Leica Ultravids feel well too, but the rubber seems
more prone to surface scratches, not a big deal as this is cosmetics, but
I don’t like the look. Leica's utilitarian design is bland and they don’t
feel like an object of desire. Zeiss design is too “military” to my liking
with the exception of Victory SF range, but they come in the light grey colour
only, which I don’t find appealing at all. I noticed the Internet posting
of Victory SF front bridge breaking after a short fall on the tiled floor,
and the bridge appears to be made of plastic rather than metal? Victory SF are also too long for my liking.

FOCUS: Leica has the longest close-focus distance at 3m - Swarovski (and
Zeiss) close focus is at 1.5m (if not less). I wondered whether in daily
use I’ll really care about close focus, but it actually does make the
binoculars more versatile and let you observe things close to you in
incredible detail. From close focus to infinity Leica takes 1 1/4 focus
wheel turns, where Swarovski needs 2 and a half turns (almost double!). On
Swarovski the whole 1st turn is to cover the first several meters (close
focus), the second turn will take you almost to infinity. The focus wheel
is low gear allowing you to precisely fine-tune focus. Everytime I look
through EL8.5x42 I instinctively give a light touch to the focus wheel to
make sure I have the view in perfect focus. Even when the subject looks
in good focus it is amazing to discover you can make it even better
focused and sharper. The focus wheel turns lightly and any lighter would be
too light. This is where I keep the point finger all the time. For that
matter it would be better to have the focus wheel 1cm moved forward (like
in Victory SF) which would be more natural finger position. This is the
only improvement in these binoculars I can think of. Diopter Adjustment
is as good as in Leica Ultravid models, in fact I prefer the indicators
position on EL8.5x42 rather than into-the-face position on Ultravids.

OPTICS: Astonishing clarity, definition and contrast. No colour
shift, colour balance neutral (maybe marginally warm). Incredible
resolution makes you notice even the smallest move of the focus wheel - I
couldn’t quite experience that with Leica Ultravids. Put simply it is a
joy to look through EL8.5x42. These binocs have 1 (or 2?)
additional elements in each barrel as compared to Leica ultravids which
accounts for their extra weight. They have remarkable FoV considering 8.5
magnification.

ROLLING BALL: None. Zero. I couldn’t see any RB despite looking for it. I panned the binocs extensively in different environment and haven’t seen any RB. There are mixed reports on the Internet - some say it can be quite distracting; some say that some people can see it some cannot; and some have seen it on the more compact EL models. If this is a point of concern you must try these binocs. From what I see in the EL 8.5x42 version I hold there is no RB whatsoever.

BRIGHTNESS: Very bright and noticeably brighter than EL 8x32 I tested side-by-side in the late afternoon on a cloudy day. A couple of reports on the Internet say 8.5x42 over 8x32 will only give 5 minutes extra glassing time during the first and last light. This may be true on a cloudless day and out in the open, but on a cloudy day and hiking in the forest you need very bright binocs to be able to identify many birds that move fast and hide in the branches. In the less-than-ideal conditions the extra brightness of 8.5x42 will be noticeable over 8x32 throughout the day IMHO.

BLACKOUT: EL8.5x42 were the only binocs I tried that didn’t show any blackout, offering excellent viewing comfort.

VALUE and AVAILABILITY: Leica Ultravid HD Plus was available but had a $500 extra price tag over the non-plus version. For something that is essentially the same binoculars with slightly improved coatings (a slightly updated model) I found such price difference unacceptable. Leica offers the shortest warranty and seems to have questionable reputation in customer service. Zeiss Victory SF are still unavailable in Australia (due to high demand worldwide they say). Ordering from the US reputable retailers would be prohibitively expensive due to low Australian Dollar, import duty and shipping cost. Additionally I had no chance to hold these binocs and try them out and was not willing to wait until Sep.2015 when they are expected in Australian stores. Swarovski EL8.5x42 were available and at a very competitive price at the Brisbane’s most reputable optics retailer. I was not only impressed by the binoculars which are outstanding, but also by the patience and customer service of the sales people as I took more than a half an hour to try a few models and compare them side-by-side. On top of that they offered me a much better price than any of the Australian Internet retailers who didn’t even want to do price-match.

DECISION: At the end after reading so many reviews and opinions and trying a few models the choice was suprisingly easy - Swarovski EL 8.5x42 swarovision. These are absolute top level binoculars delivering on all relevant fronts, with no fault I could identify. It is hard to imagine how this model can possibly be improved, with the only exception of the focus wheel whose ideal position would be slightly more forward. I cannot see how anyone in the market for 8x42 binocs could go wrong with buying these binoculars - this is a sure buy that will make your birding and observing nature in general a lot more enjoyable.

I hope this was useful to anyone looking for a top-level binoculars and may have helped them in making a decision.

I've enjoyed your review and you have done a very nice job explaining
why the 8.5x42 SV is such a nice binocular. I have been enjoying mine
for over 4 years, and the previous EL 8.5 model before that.

I also own some other common Swaro. sizes as the 8x32 EL, and
a 10x50 SLC, and some great 10x42 models.

The 8.5x42 EL was originally designed to be the "Universal Distance
Viewer" as promoted by Swarovski. You have explained well why
this size does all things very well.

Jerry

The Truth about Rolling Ball

ROLLING BALL: None. Zero. I couldn’t see any RB despite looking for it. I panned the binocs extensively in different environment and haven’t seen any RB. There are mixed reports on the Internet - some say it can be quite distracting; some say that some people can see it some cannot; and some have seen it on the more compact EL models. If this is a point of concern you must try these binocs. From what I see in the EL 8.5x42 version I hold there is no RB whatsoever....

What this means is that you are an "immunie" (that's a medical term, not mine ;)). If you don't see RB in the 8.5x SV EL, which has the lowest pincushion distortion/highest angular magnification distortion (AMD) of any SV EL (or any other alpha roof for that matter), you won't see it in the other SV ELs in the series, because they all have more pincushion.

The reason the reports are mixed is due to users having varying amount of distortion in their eyes. If you have enough pincushion in your eyes, you can compensate for the lack of it in an SV EL (or other low distortion bin such as the full sized Nikon HGLs or Kowa Genesis), if you don't, you will see RB.

So if others see things differently than you do, it's primarily due to the difference in their eyes. But there's more. It also has to do with your brain. Even with people who have taken Holger's test and scored the same k=value, one might take longer to adopt to RB than the other. So in addition to there being an anatomical element, there's also a perceptual element.

I'm glad you don't see it. The AMD world is your kingdom to command. :king:

<B>

Another SV EL 8.5x42 who does not see RB.

Not surprising, there are many more "immunies" than there are "rollingballers," which some see as a sign of a world on the brink of a total zombie apocalypse. ;)

What is interesting is when the same person reports seeing RB in the 8x5 SV EL but not in the 10x42. I think Steve C. was one such person.

When you look at Holger's chart below, there's not much difference in the level of distortion between the two models compared to other bins with more distortion.

The most interesting report on RB so far as been those who see no RB in the 8.5x SV EL but do see it in the 8x42 Zeiss FL! There's some 'splain' to do, because the SF is close to the moderate distortion zone whereas the 8.5 SV EL is well below that point and in the strong RB possible zone.

Not sure what's going on, perhaps the difference in apparent field of view. One of the BF optics experts said that RB is less noticeable in bins with lesser apparent fields of view. The 8.5X SV EL has a wide 64* AFOV but a 67* AFOV, the 8x42 SF's have even a wider AFOV

Not very far from each other with a difference of only 3* AFOV, but then again, neither is the level of distortion in the 8.5x SV EL vs. 10x42 SV EL. For some people who are boderline immunies, a few degrees more AFOV or a bit more pincushion could make the difference in seeing RB or not.

<B>

Attachments

• newk.jpg
    newk.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
What is interesting is when the same person reports seeing RB in the 8x5 SV EL but not in the 10x42. I think Steve C. was one such person.

When you look at Holger's chart below, there's not much difference in the level of distortion between the two models compared to other bins with more distortion.

The most interesting report on RB so far as been those who see no RB in the 8.5x SV EL but do see it in the 8x42 Zeiss FL! There's some 'splain' to do, because the SF is close to the moderate distortion zone whereas the 8.5 SV EL is well below that point and in the strong RB possible zone.
<B>

I suspect that one of the things people are seeing and responding to are different distortion patterns, as opposed to an absolute value (average). The K-value is a useful resource to get a feel for the overall average, but says little about how that distortion changes through the field.

As my old statistics professor used to say: "just because one shooter shoots one metre to the left of the target and the other one metre to the right of the target and the average is on bulls-eye, doesn't mean the target was hit."

In my brief experience, the EL42s, SF8x42 and SF10x42 all seem to have different distortion patterns, and I am sure there are many in the industry who are following how these various patterns are perceived by a broad mass of users. The large numbers of interested users out in the field, Dr Merlitz's studies and many BirdForum members have helped to advance the understanding of how users respond to distortion, which will ultimately result in optics manufacturers being able to better optimise their products, not just for distortion patterns, but for the myriad of other interlinked optical and mechanical components involved in creating great binoculars.

Thanks Gijs, Ted and Jerry - glad you found my post useful. When I was looking for the best binocs for me I heavily relied on anything I could read on the Internet so wanted to contribute back :)

Brock and Dale, thanks to you I learned a lot more about the RB issue. I really didn't know the RB effect is the property (distortion?) of the eye; always thought it is the property of the brain which is the one that actually "sees" the image.

Cheers
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back