• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where will you be starting your 2013 list (1 Viewer)

As my memory becomes less reliable for exact dates, years etc, my notebooks become not only a mine of information but also the keys to unlock reminiscences. In ten years I haven't missed a day (they're not all complete day lists, obviously!) and I recommend doing it against your own ageing process.

John

Heartily agree John, I've got notebooks going back to 1988, those from before then seem to have disappeared. It is amazing how much help they are in bringing back the memories.
As my memory becomes less reliable for exact dates, years etc, my notebooks become not only a mine of information but also the keys to unlock reminiscences. In ten years I haven't missed a day (they're not all complete day lists, obviously!) and I recommend doing it against your own ageing process.

John

I never kept lists until I got into using BirdTrack. Lists are kind of essential for that, and a year list pretty much writes itself. I couldn't imagine not doing it now, and eventually curiosity got the better of me and I worked out a life list by adding all the species I remembered seeing before I started with BirdTrack. Still more interested in watching birds than in ticking for its own sake, though (which is just as well given that my list isn't very long!)

Anyway, to answer the original question: the RSPB reserve at Newport Wetlands, followed by watching Newport County play football, pitch inspection permitting.

As my memory becomes less reliable for exact dates, years etc, my notebooks become not only a mine of information but also the keys to unlock reminiscences.
I agree. I went over my actual notes and found that many species that I thought I saw in RL were actually in pictures pasted on FB by my birdwatching friends. We all discussed the pictures and had great fun just as if we were all at the spot together that morning (instead in different towns or boroughs).

John

Funny you should mention that John. After years of having various notes haphazardly left in my basic pocket notebooks that usually end up lost or fall apart and a LOT of my important dates - Lifers, First Spring Birds, First Winter Birds, Flowering Dates etc - stored here on BF, I actually went and bought a page-a-day A5 diary the other day so that I can scribble the day-to-day observations in as I see them (or at the end of the day) which HAS to be better than having to scroll through pages of my postings on BF or cursing because I cannot find a particular notebook :smoke:

I will get organised :-O

Off to bed now.....see y'all next year XXXXXX

Heartily agree John, I've got notebooks going back to 1988, those from before then seem to have disappeared. It is amazing how much help they are in bringing back the memories.

I recently found a record of a blue-headed wagtail at Elton that I found in 1986. As far as I know, the record was never formally recorded despite being seen by several people. I conveyed the details to the current county recorder although I am honest enough to recall that the bird had all the characteristics of a 'channel' wagtail (unknown back in the 80s). A gem like that could easily be missed if we don't keep notes.

As I was driving tonight (own a cab) I was around the lanes,went past the usual barn owl perched in the usual place.
The Tawny owl was at 12.03 as I popped back to spend midnight with the family,we was outside with the neighbours and suddenly a tawny owl flew over the house,obviously spooked by the fireworks going off

Not a bad start

I do keep a log of bird behaviour and numbers ect , but there is a big difference between such records and keeping a day\year\garden\county\ uk ect list

I shall start, as always, at number 1.

Then, move swiftly along through numbes 2, 3 ,4, 5 and cetera...

Well...it's all a matter of interpretation...

McM

I have been visiting Titchwell as my annual new years day tick venue and with a day to go I'm just wondering where others plan to start their new year list.

Do you have a ritual?
Do you plan it around any rarities that have hung around for new years day?
Do you visit your patch or do you just not bother with a new list at all?:eek!:

I woke up and watched out of my window for awhile, practicing taking notes for the first week of the year count that my group is trying this year (as a beginning of year-list comparison project). Then I decided to get out so I went to our local woods. It was extremely muddy, of the "mud sticks to the bottom of your shoe in shape of a ball" variety. I was happy that I saw two Short-toed Treecreepers on the same tree, so spirits uplifted I decided to walk down the often used route where streets are bordered by gardens and then along the canal. Most birds were the usual suspects, although some were missing, such as the woodpigeon and the blackbird. I saw many bushes full of red berries, so I think that flocks of blackbirds and thrushes are yet to come in my area (snow cover is predicted for the second half of January). Woodpigeons were likely scared away by the many firecrackers.

The second day I hit the road early and first went to the popular picnic nature area, hoping to get through it before temperature rises above zero and sticky mud forms again. It turned out that people were already standing in lines for the newly open skating rink (and music was blasting). Saw a nice combination of usual garden, woodland and pond/lake birds. The small pond was frozen over and a hooded crow walked on it, so all the mallards and coots sat at the riverbank. By the time I have almost completed the circular walk, sun was shining so strong that water was dripping from trees, muffling the bird calls.

After that I went to visit the swan flock at the bank of Danube. I managed to see a Peregrine trying to catch a Black-headed Gull just above water, but the gull maneuvred away. Then the whole flock of gulls chased the falcon away. The ducks (mallards and pochards), sitting on water just dozens of meters away, seemingly never noticed the predator flying around them.

Swans were a great attraction and large groups of people stood there on riverbank feeding the swans, enjoying the now springtime temperature (I counted 48 birds and about twice as many spectators, but the latter group came and went). They however scared the other birds toward the opposite bank of Danube, so I failed to see mergansers and ferruginous duck that some others reported from the previous day.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back