• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker (formerly updates) (4 Viewers)

I'm here till Weds MMinNY

enjoy it

wise words from John Wall: Birding magazine has been in free fall ever since the dudes who took over the American Birding Association fired Paul Lehman as editor. The latest issue, March-April 2007, an Ivory-billed Woodpecker special, establishes a new low, unless it's an April Fools parody of a birding magazine. There is an article by somebody who claims he saw an Ivorybill in South Carolina 20 years ago, an article entitled "Saving the Ivory-billed Woodpecker" by a woman who studies foxes, and another article by Luneau of the infamous video. To top it off, the ABA is selling Ivory-billed Woodpecker coffee! Anyone still a member of the ABA who is not a member of the OBC, NBC, ABC and OSME should reallocate the annual subscription.

and i saw this on Tom's site. Nice style whoever it is...

Photos of Mennill: 8
Photos of dead IBWO: 3
Photos of live IBWO: ZERO

So Mennill's website clearly documents his existence and in a range of habitats. But having a website where the investigator/study species photo ratio is 8:3 with the latter all being dead indicates either a sense of self importance by the investigator or the state of extinction in the study species.
Or both.

Tim Allwood said:

enjoy it

wise words from John Wall: Birding magazine has been in free fall ever since the dudes who took over the American Birding Association fired Paul Lehman as editor. The latest issue, March-April 2007, an Ivory-billed Woodpecker special, establishes a new low, unless it's an April Fools parody of a birding magazine. There is an article by somebody who claims he saw an Ivorybill in South Carolina 20 years ago, an article entitled "Saving the Ivory-billed Woodpecker" by a woman who studies foxes, and another article by Luneau of the infamous video. To top it off, the ABA is selling Ivory-billed Woodpecker coffee! Anyone still a member of the ABA who is not a member of the OBC, NBC, ABC and OSME should reallocate the annual subscription.

So Mennill's website clearly documents his existence and in a range of habitats. But having a website where the investigator/study species photo ratio is 8:3 with the latter all being dead indicates either a sense of self importance by the investigator or the state of extinction in the study species.
Or both.
all of which confirms a lot of widely held views/beliefs outside of the birding community.

Another sighting!

Over at IBWO.net Tre329 has details of another sighting. He includes a handwritten report, sketches and map.
To me, it seems to be a powerful report.

Ilya Maclean said:
Sorry if I missed your point, but is what your point? There's lots of good habitat, but no confirmed woodies yet. Good luck searching and I really mean that, but I think quite a lot people are getting bored with all this "promising habitat", "promising Kent calls", "promising scaling", promising holes" etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. I think that’s the main reason this thread descends into petty name-calling, mud-slinging and character assassinations is that there really is nothing else to talk about, it’s all been said before. Lots of times and nothing’s changed. There are already several other threads and forums that are exclusively for believers, but they don’t seem to thrive in the same way as this one. People get bored of patting each other on the back after a while I guess.

Incidentally Timeshadowed. I’d be curious to know how much time you spend searching for IBWOs? Your contributions to this thread appear to have consisted primarily of rather badly aimed and completely pointless pot-shots at “the evil sceptics” of late.
Well I imagine that bored is a nice way of saying totally bored, totally frustrated I had the same feeling when Cornell did not produce in 2005 => 2006. Myself not a possible sighting or audio or anything sound, or other wise since January 2006. I am now searching the Northern tip of an area that I started searching two maybe three years ago from the south. Should be finished by this fall, back track and start over. Yes, and no confirmed sightings to date but some possibilities. My outboard motor/boat will be out of the shop tomorrow so back to 100% in business this weekend, tired of paddling. Tired and looking forward to the conclusion either way as you. Thanks to Timeshadowed and others for having my back while searching. As long as the threads remain bias and you and I keep debating what we do the true answer will come. I will not quite searching will you?

The New Interesting

Tim Allwood said:
maybe 'powerful' is the new interesting?

Tim
Well I did think that "interesting", "compelling" and even "fascinating" were rather overused.
In any case, if you had access to the report (as a believer), you might find that it is indeed powerful.

Summer paddling

Goatnose said:
I will not quit searching will you?
Goatnose,

Where do you work out of? We're headed for the Atch in two weeks for a literary conference and a couple of days of paddling, but will undoubtedly be back in Arkansas in summer to visit the grandkid. I, for one, prefer to bird the Big Woods in spring/summer because there's so much more going on birdwise both in what's there and how much noise they're making (a failure, I think, of winter-only seekers).

I loved your photo, by the way--reminded me of the abandoned RR bed that runs south of Dagmar.
Madison

Osprey_watcher said:
Funny. I'm sure that's been said before.
Oh yes about a hundred times.

hmmm... I think what you have just said has been said more than a few times as well... my advice (and its just advice) would be to ignore the things that have been said numerous times before... it just makes it harder to find the few interesting posts that are in this thread. 10,000 posts and probably less than 100 good ones...LOL.. imagine all the wasted hours spent on repeating the same old garbage time and time again....

One more thing, Jane would you please let Tim speak for himself... it appears as though you like him.... a whole bunch... perhaps a little too much ;) but he's a grown man and I'm sure he can and will speak on his own behalf.

Cheers,

Russ

Tim Allwood said:

enjoy it

Or both.

Exactly the close minded attitude that I would expect from certain on this forum AND the reason some outside the community take the position they do!

humminbird said:
Exactly the close minded attitude that I would expect from certain on this forum AND the reason some outside the community take the position they do!

Close-minded or not, there are still no photographs of current, living IBWO. It's going to be tough to come up with a population estimate when you can't photograph a single bird. It's going to be tough to decide if conservation measures are working or wasting money if you can't accurately estimate the population.

Russ Jones said:
. imagine all the wasted hours spent on repeating the same old garbage time and time again....

How about all the wasted man-years and millions of dollars spent looking for an extinct woodpecker? All on the back of a grainy video of a Pileated Woodie and the word of a few stringers with duff / no optics.

Had all those resources been channelled into conservation of the Hawaiian endemics, just think what could have been achieved...in this context, the last three years of "searching" for the IBWO do not represent a farce but a tragedy.

Alan

sighting

good afternoon all.
I was just lurking around read the last few days posts and noticed that salar53 ratted me out, LOL.So I will go ahead and post notes,etc. related to my sighting on sunday.

Attachments

• woodpecker notes small.jpg
    woodpecker notes small.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 236
  • woodpecker sketch small.jpg
    woodpecker sketch small.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 193
  • woodpecker location sketch small.jpg
    woodpecker location sketch small.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 167
Russ Jones said:
One more thing, Jane would you please let Tim speak for himself... it appears as though you like him.... a whole bunch... perhaps a little too much ;) but he's a grown man and I'm sure he can and will speak on his own behalf.

Cheers,

Russ

Hmmmm... see upthread - I think Tim may now be in India looking for rare and elusive species so may not be able to reply for a few weeks. Hey its even worse than the swamps, I don't think they even have broadband at Eagle Nest.

TRE329 said:
good afternoon all.
I was just lurking around read the last few days posts and noticed that salar53 ratted me out, LOL.So I will go ahead and post notes,etc. related to my sighting on sunday.

Hi

You don't mention whether you used binoculars for your sighting. Could you elaborate on your optics and perhaps tell us what type they are?

Thanks

lewis20126 said:
Hi

You don't mention whether you used binoculars for your sighting. Could you elaborate on your optics and perhaps tell us what type they are?

Thanks
Hi lewis,I was only 30 feet away when bird first appeared never used them.

Ratted

TRE329 said:
good afternoon all.

Ratted you out? Jaysus, TRE329, that sounds bad!!!!!!!!! I only thought that your excellent sighting deserved a larger audience. I hope you don't mind.
Be prepared, though, for some "gentle questioning" on this thread.
In fact, brace yourself, man. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back