• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference between BA and BN? (1 Viewer)

etc

What exactly is the difference between 8x42 BA and BN models?

I understand that BN is newer, but what improvements have been made?

etc said:
What exactly is the difference between 8x42 BA and BN models?

I understand that BN is newer, but what improvements have been made?

Hi Etc,

The difference is in the minimum focusing distance. The BNs can focus quite a bit closer, though I don't know the exact specs. I've owned both, and the BNs are a great improvement in this regard.

Chris

Hi etc, Chris is quite correct, the 8x42 improved from a minimum focus of 5.3M to3.1M, IMO a significant improvement.
regards, John

According to Leica's own literature, the 'N' stands for 'near zone' ie., closer focusing compared to the BA range. The blurb also states that the BN's have a newly developed HDC coating (Highly Durable Coating) adding extra scratch resistance to the external multi-coating. Not sure if the BA's had a previous version of this coating or none at all, but it has been mentioned elsewhere that the objective lenses on BA's & BN's differ in colour somewhat.

That's about all I can find that separates the two versions......

Cheers,

Mook.

Bear in mind actual performance can be better than specified. I've watched a bird in perfect clarity approximately 12 feet away with my BA's.

Chris Benesh said:
Hi Etc,

The difference is in the minimum focusing distance. The BNs can focus quite a bit closer, though I don't know the exact specs. I've owned both, and the BNs are a great improvement in this regard.

Chris

Since everything in optics appears to require some form of compromise, my experience with the two versions is that the BA is crisper at greater distances than the BN equivalent, especially at infinity, and generally sharper overall.

symphony said:
Bear in mind actual performance can be better than specified. I've watched a bird in perfect clarity approximately 12 feet away with my BA's.

The performance is also dependant on your eyesight. If you have good accommodation and/or are short sighted you'll probably be able to focus closer than the figure in the specifications.

John

Pinewood said:
Were all units of the BA series phase coated?
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
If you mean the Ultra Trinovid BA series (introduced ~1990?), yes. The BA (rubber armored) designation was also used with the older and very differently designed Trinovid roofs which were not phase corrected.
--AP

chartwell99 said:
Yes. The predecessor Leitz Trinovid models, however, were not phase coated.

It was one of those that made me wonder why my wife's much cheaper porro was right up to the Leica's performance! It also was not nitrogen purged. I still have that old Trinovid, but the molds are creeping over some internal lenses.
However, these were extremely compact models, and I still wonder a bit why todays binoculars seem so much bulkier. But then, one has to compare the leather version of course. And we all want larger objectives as well. It's amazing to just compare a x40 (like those old Trinovids) with a x42 model, e.g. the original Zeiss Victories with their FL models.

Last edited:
Another significant improvement of the BN over the Ultra BA series is in the optical coatings. While this is an evolutionary change, which took place in a series of small incremental steps, it is worth noting that a recent BN (serial number 145xxxxxx or higher) will show dramatic improvement in both color saturation and resistance to flare to either the BA or an earlier BN. All are phase coated, but lens coatings have improved dramatically in the last 10 years and have as much to do with image quality as phase coating and choice of glass.

I am looking at a used Trinovid 8x42BA in good condition, with the serial number of 112xxx. How old is this unit?
Can I assume it didn't get the benefits of the latest coating that the BN models got?

What's a good price for such a bino, somewhere between 700-900? Does it make sense to get a newer BN?

I would not hesitate to purchase a BA. I have a 10 year old pair of 8x42BA that I still love. My brother-in-law has a new pair of Ultravid 10x50, and we both feel there is little difference between them.

etc said:
I am looking at a used Trinovid 8x42BA in good condition, with the serial number of 112xxx. How old is this unit?
Can I assume it didn't get the benefits of the latest coating that the BN models got?

What's a good price for such a bino, somewhere between 700-900? Does it make sense to get a newer BN?

If I were you I'd go for a new BN if you can afford it. Warehouse Express has them for £749 last time I looked. As mentioned by Angelo, the coatings really are an improvement that you can see in the field. You can often find BN's in very good condition in the UK for around £500 so I wouldn't pay more than that for a BA myself. Hope that helps!

BA is better than BN

I have owned for about three years a pair of 8x42 BA Trinovid I bought off eBay. They are in perfect condition. I just recently purchased a pair of 8x42 BN. In all honesty, I like the older BA better. The BN has a little more whitish cast, with the BA appearing a little tiny bit yellow. I had never noticed the BA being yellowish, but compared the the BN they are. I really can't say which one is more naturally colored.

The BA has a significantly sharper image. I was more easily able to read lettering on signs at all distances with the BA. I know it sounds impossible, but the BA also seemed to produce a larger image (more magnification), even though both were 8x42.

So I am sticking with my old trusties!

Does BN come with lenscaps for the objectives? That's always been a startling oversight, as far as I'm concerned -- doesn't anyone wade through brush, or have zippers and buttons and whatnot hit the objectives when the binos are hanging around the neck? The leather case was intended to be worn on the strap with the binoculars, but that's been totally unworkable, since it interferes with deployment and viewing.

I'm confused here. Are you talking about the older Leitz 7 or 8 x 42 BA Trinovids with the Uppendahl prisms and the rubber armor or is there a later Leica BA? I can assure you that my Leitz 7 x 42 BA Trinovid is in no way as good as my Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid. They aren't in the same league!

Meanwhile the ocular rainguard on my Leica 7 x 42 BN is the best design I've ever seen. Easy on, easy off, stays in place when on and out of the way when off. I even like the skinny case supplied. It's also a good weather guard. Just slip it far enough up the strap and it stays out of your way when using the binocular. Slip it back down and the case acts as a raincap for the objectives.

Bob

Last edited:
To Ceasar.

The current Trinovids are BN. They became BN about 3 years ago. Before that they were BA. They look exactly the same, and the differences are what we are discussing here. We are not talking about Leitz.

I have a twelve year old Trinovid 10x50 BA. Three years ago they needed to go back to Leica (Germany) because the hinge shroud had disintegrated. They came back with the hinge replaced, the focussing wheel adjusted (now as smooth as butter), and all the rubber armouring replaced FREE OF CHARGE under their 30 year warranty. Apart from the eyecups they looked absolutely brand new.

While they were away I bought an Ultravid 10x42. These are now my main bins when I am out for the day with 'scope and tripod and camera (Canon with 500mm f4 lens) because they are light and don't get in the way too much. The Trinovid 10x50 BA is like having a brick around your neck, but they sure as hell are better optically than the 10x42 Ultravids, and are also better than my mate's 10x50 Ultravids. I really do think that we have got to the stage where high-end, top quality optics cannot be improved upon as far as the average user's eyesight is concerned.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back