• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (5 Viewers)

Male Linnet - gorgeous

seen on a phone wire in suburban Amersham of all places - just happened to have my binos with me when I pulled up outside a friends house

puts my UK&Irl lifer list a piddling 132 - (which i'm very proud of 3:) )

21 lifers in my first two days in the US, the vast majority of which were in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Highlights so far are Steller's and California Scrub Jays, Pygmy Nuthatch, Anna's and Allen's Hummingbirds, Pacific-slope Flycatcher and California Towhee.

Finally, finally knocked off one of the commoner species missing from my UK list, and in the most surprising of circumstances: a fabulous Long-eared Owl seen perched on a road-side fence-post while driving home through North Yorkshire last week, causing a rapid braking, scrabbling in my glove compartment for my cheap bins, and a slow reverse back up the road!

Spent 20 days in New York and birded for 1,5 day-got 61 lifers!
Highlights are Wood Duck, Turkey & Black Vultures, Red-tailed Hawk, Killdeer, Greater Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper, 3 sp of gulls, Forster's and Least Terns, 3 sp of woodpeckers, 5 sp of flycatchers, Warbling & Red-eyed Vireos, Blue Jay, Cedar Waxwing, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Red-winged Blackbird, Orchard & Baltimore Orioles, Scarlet Tanager, Yellow & Black-and-white Warblers, Common Yellowthroat, Song & Chipping Sparrows, American Goldfinch.

The last of 236 life birds on a 28-day trip through Peru, Bolivia, and Chile was a Chilean Pigeon, #1520, in the Santiago Metropolitan Park (during a ten hour layover before the flight back to the states).

Last edited:
Zino's petrel. 1800m high Mountain at the peak. Strong winds with clouds racing past. Near full moon. At 23:00 the faint calls of Zino's were heard. Then they started to appear. With the moonlight great views of them were got of them appearing from the clouds and flying back into them. No torches/cameras were allowed but the moon was bight enough. Amazing. Only 10-15 known pairs left after the devastating fires of 2010:-C

It appears I have been remiss in posting here. I could have sworn that I'd been on to crow about the Hudsonian Godwit at least, if not getting the Hudsonian Whimbrel and dipping the Greater Yellowlegs.. But computer says 'No'.

So...

[As you might have guessed..] Three lovely transatlantic visitors are new additions for me so far this year;

Hudsonian Godwit on Meare Heath
Hudsonian Whimbrel in [and over] Pagham Harbour
Greater Yellowlegs at Titchfield Haven

Though the last took two goes [three if you count the cornish one I also dipped..], it was so beautiful when I finally caught up with it that I forgave it at once.
|:D|

B :) B :) B :)

<as there's still lots still to see that are new.>
Yes that is a very good way to look at it. Not "oh heck my list is so small" but more "I have so many exciting 'firsts' still to come.":t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back