• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Take care, Larry. I'm in your general area, but my driving is limited for other reasons. The two hours to Missouri would be about my limit.

Started, or updated, Nebraska list. I had two lifers from NE: first redstart and burrowing owl. Added pheasant, but not a lifer. Lifer ran across highway in Iowa. Never had pheasant in Missouri.

Last edited:
06 March. North Wales

As it was the first really springy-type spring day today a trip over to Wales for a couple of specialities I dipped on last time takes me to 472 with the addition of Black Grouse, Dartford Warbler, Atlantic Fulmar and Long-tailed Duck.

Day trip yesterday in North LA / Kern / Ventura / San Luis Obispo Counties:
230. Horned Lark
231. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
232. Great Horned Owl
233. Lawrence's Goldfinch
234. Greater Scaup
235. Common Goldeneye
236. Loggerhead Shrike
237. Mountain Bluebird

Thursday we had a blizzard that dumped more than a foot of snow. Today was sunny and near 50 degrees Farenheit. Much of the snow, as well as ice on the ponds, is melting, and the warmer weather seems to have brought in some early spring migrants.

I broke the one-hundred mark today, adding four birds to my Year List.

099. American Wigeon
100. Northern Pintail
101. Rusty Blackbird
102. Common Grackle

Dave

Just as I was getting ready to leave work, I received a text message from a birder friend who had just found a rare bird for this area. Conveniently, the site was on my way home, so I stopped and found the bird right away.

103. Red-necked Grebe

Dave

A wander around the West Kirby area, on my way to the shops, turned up my first incoming summer migrants.

473 Sand Martin / Bank Swallow
474 White Wagtail

I birded Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, yesterday with a birding friend and I was able to add several more species to my 2015 Missouri Bird List.

62. Wood Duck
Green-winged Teal
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
American Wigeon
Canvasback
Common Goldeneye
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Killdeer
Rusty Blackbird
73. Common Grackle

Yesterday two birding friends and I went to the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. It was a productive day, adding six birds to my Year List.

104. Fish Crow
105. Marsh Wren
106. Double-crested Cormorant
107. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
108. Tree Swallow
109. Peregrine Falcon

Dave

Took a little trip down south of St. Joseph to my local patch and picked up a couple of birds for my 2015 Missouri List.

74. American Coot
75. Savannah Sparrow
76. American White Pelican

The ice is melting and ducks are starting to move in. This afternoon I went to an area of flooded fields which have attracted hundreds of ducks. I saw ten species, one of which was new for the year.

110. Blue-winged Teal

The highlight for me, however, was seeing my first Canvasbacks in Preston County, my 207th species for my home county.

Dave

Just got in from looking for woodcocks. I found my target, seeing a total of four, three of which were in flight in my spotlight and one on the ground from just a few feet away.

111. American Woodcock

Dave

Three days (of mainly bad weather) birding in the Rio Grande Valley produced some good birds.

140 Least Grebe
141 Green Heron
142 Sandhill Crane
143 Harris's Hawk
144 Plain Chachalaca
145 N Bobwhite
146 Sora
147 Common Ground Dove
148 White-tipped Dove
149 Red-crowned Parrot
150 Greater Roadrunner
151 E Screech Owl
152 Common Pauraque
153 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
154 Rufous Hummingbird
155 Buff-bellied Hummingbird
156 Green Kingfisher
157 Ringed Kingfisher
158 Golden-fronted Woodpecker
159 Ladder-backed Woodpecker
160 Great Kiskadee
161 Green Jay
162 Chihuahuan Raven
163 N Rough-winged Swallow
164 Black-crested Titmouse
165 Clay-colored Thrush
166 Long-billed Thrasher
167 Curve-billed Thrasher
168 Common Yellowthroat
169 Painted Redstart
170 Olive Sparrow
171 Pyrrhuloxia
172 Bronzed Cowbird
173 Hooded Oriole
174 Altamira Oriole
175 Black-throated Sparrow
176 White-eyed Vireo
177 Blue-grey Gnatcatcher

Jeff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back