• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Jersey (1 Viewer)

Screech

New Jersey, a birders Mecca!
Located on the Atlantic Flyway, NJ although small in size;166 miles in length, 57 miles wide offers fantastic birding only hours away.
Cape May is located on the southern tip and is renown for its fall Hawk Watch. Thousands of raptors stream past the Lighthouse on their migration and thousands of birders assemble to witness the event. An offical counter is on duty from Aug thru Nov. at the viewing stand. Check the tote board for daily numbers. If planning a trip, make motel reservations well in advance as things get hetic on prime weekends.

Brigantine National Wildlife Refuge, known as "Brig" is a coastal marsh, with 20,000 acres of prime marsh, freshwater ponds, wooded terrain to offer shelter to various species. A road circles the marsh ponds allowing close views of thousands of snow geese, brant, ducks. In Spring and Fall shorebird migration is a must see.

If you ever get the chance, come on over and enjoy the birding, you'll be glad you did!

Last edited:
O.K. We're coming! We will be in Cape May the first week in April. I downloaded lots of info, but tell me what I should not miss seeing. Thanks.

Celeste

Hi Celeste, sorry I'm late in replying.
If time allows, I would take a few hours at Garret Mountain, West Paterson. I-80 to Squirrelwood Road, Drive south on Squirrelwood till you see lake on left, make left turn, scan lake for loon, waterfowl, gulls. This area is a great migrant trap, 2 Lakes, varied habitat, always birders about to give you advice on where to go.
Park only in designated Parking Areas, Park Police will issue tickets.
Enjoy your trip! Bob

When in Cape May I have enjoyed the boat ride on a twin hull boat called the skimmer. The skipper/owner is very knowledable and will stop or beach the boat on a land mass for viewing/photographing. I stay in Avalon, NJ when vacationing and also visit the Wet Land Institute which has lots of water birds around it and in Stonebridge or stoneharbor there is a closed off bird sactuary where many egrets, ibis etc come to roost at the end of the day. When you have filled your cup looking at the birds take in the great Victorian houses in Cape May

BiLL
8-D

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back