• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binoculars - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

emmabt

I have been a 'casual' birder for the last few years - I always go with my 3 children and we really enjoy it. I really want to get out again after a few months too busy to go birding very much and I want to get some new binoculars.
I have a pair of Nikon sporter 10 x 36 binoculars which I bought several years ago. They are still okay really but getting a bit tatty so I think I'm going to pass them on to one of my children (now old enough to care for and appreciate better quality bins than the cheap ones they had).
Can anyone recommend a pair that will be noticeably better than my current Nikons but not more than approx £150?
I have seen Bushnell excursions - will these be an improvement? Otherwise I am grateful for any suggestions.

Go for something with phase coating if you go for roofs - improves the light transmission, clarity etc.

I've just bought and am waiting for some Pentax 8x36 DCF HS bins, which have a very good reputation here, I was also looking at some Opticron Discovery IIs, the 8 & 10x42s of which I believe had Magnesium bodies.

I would recommend testing some out, like you I am a casual birder. I tried the ones out at the RSPB Rainham Marshes and liked the feel of the Viking Vistrons 8x42 however they were £194 there.

A bit of judicial searching on the web and I got the same binoculars for £128.99 delivered.

I am more than happy with them.

Definantly check out some of the cheaper Vortex bins.

They rock though most of the pairs are slightly out of your price range.

Bushnell Excursion 8x42 or 8x32
Vortex Diamondback 8x42

Good wide view on both

Bushnell Legend roofs 8x selling cheaply here and there

Nikon 10X42 Monarchs are great all around Bins! They have been highly rated by a magazine. I have a pair, and so does my bird-buddy, we both LOVE them!!!!!!!

Stick with the 8x32 or 8x42 format, great all around binocular. I would have said only 42mm but there are some usable 8x32's on the market today. Bryce... P.S. Tero named a few!

Hello Emma. If you can stretch your budget by another £50.00 Vortex The Broadwing 8 x 42 may be bought from Sherwoods for £200.00 inclusive of delivery. I looked through a pair recently and they were excellent. Sherwoods website is here http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/

Geoff. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back