• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binos on Bikes (1 Viewer)

statestat

I have a bicycle bag attached to the rear bracket, and when riding over bumps, holes on the trails I noticed, actually heard, the bag and the binos banging around. I have the Steiner Peregrine XPs and even though they are built tough, and in a padded case, should I place them objective lens down, lying flat to the back, lying flat on the focus knb, or with the ocular facing down. I would hate to find out later that I had placed them incorrectly.

Thanks for the reply, I probably would end up not taking them if I put them around my neck, since it could give me a neck pain. I could get a bag for the front handle bars, maybe they would bounce less up front.

I wouldn't worry much about the bouncing if they are padded. I've been taking binos and SLRs on both bicycles and motorcycles for many a year with not a single problem. An SLR camera BTW, is far more delicate than a pair of roof prism bins.

I just did almost 400 miles of rough dirt roads on a dual sport motorcycle in Utah with a pair of Leica 8x32 BNs in my tankbag.

I wear mine around my neck, if I want to peddle hard or reach rough terrain I will wear the strap under one of my arm pits...instead of having the bin one my hips I slide the bins onto my lower back. Another choice might be one of the harness strap products.

Lots of good ideas. I have been thinking about this. Placing the binos vertically with the objective down should be the best since the lenses would be bouncing on the seals and doing it with equal force. If placed horizontally the bouncing/vibration would be on the edge of the lens and that would be bad. No-way I could hang them on my neck, if they caught on a branch I would need a high power spotting scope to look down from heaven.

Statestat,

Place them in a smaller backpack or fannypack. If you're on a rough trail the rear rack (if not suspended) transmits a lot of force from any bumps. And with a pack on your body they're more suspended and always with you.

Cheers

I do a lot of birding by mountain bike and I always wear my bins on a harness for rapid access . . . I've missed too many sightings by having them in a bag or pack. With a snug harness I've never had any problems with bouncing or any sort of awkwardness. I recommend this method if you have to be quick on the draw. :t:

Many suggestions to use the harness, so I will give it a try. Does this work for the full size binos or is everyone using mid-size 30mm.

I find the Bino Belt harness (from Mad Dog) works well for this (for full size bins).

The nice feature of the belt is you can tuck the bins in the belt so they don't swing forward when riding when you lean forward (or come to a sudden stop). Very useful for actually birding from the bike rather than biking to a location then birding on foot.

The other technique is to get a Pajaro beltbag in your lower back and carry them in that then take them out when needed.

A suspended handlebar bag would bounce rather less though the way Seattle's roads are going on-road riding is starting to feel like off-road riding. So I prefer the former two approaches.

Wow, birding on a bike...harness and all. No hands and binocualrs!

I have tried it with a car, but it was hard to steer one handed and look out the side window.

Wow, birding on a bike...harness and all. No hands and binocualrs!

I have tried it with a car, but it was hard to steer one handed and look out the side window.

Maybe you can text message me the next time you are doing it and describe how you accomplish this feat?:eek!::-O
Bob

What I mean is I bike from place to place and stop then bird whilst straddling the bike. Or put the kick stand down and walk a short distance away.

Not quite got the the riding and birding stage yet. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back