• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (2 Viewers)

Little Egret followed by a trio of RNParakeets, 3 Mallard and then 2 flights of Mandarin Ducks swiftly kissing the tree tops as they sped NEast....no.52.

First real 'summer visitor' arrived yesterday, with timing as accurate as a Swiss watch (over the 8 years I've lived here the average arrival date is 6th March).

35 White Wagtail

Richard

Things starting to move over the past week, Stock dove and green woodpecker were number 141 and 142 overall for the house.

54 Dunlin
55 Curlew
56 Siskin
57 Glaucous Gull
58 Yellowhammer
59 Shoveler
60 Tawny Owl
61 Stock Dove
62 Redwing
63 Greylag Goose
64 Green Woodpecker

If memory serves me correctly from when I lived in Florida and had one of these guys in my yard, which was a Stoat - Short-Tailed Weasel in winter plumage?

Is it an ermine?

If memory serves me correctly from when I lived in Florida and had one of these guys in my yard, which was a Stoat - Short-Tailed Weasel in winter plumage?

Names vary...

Mustela ermine - in Europe simply called Stoat, often called Ermine when in winter white coat. In USA, often Short-tailed Weasel.

Mustela nivalis - in Europe simply called Weasel. UK populations do not turn white, northern populations do. In USA, called Least Weasel.

This little fellow was Weasel, i.e. Least Weasel :t:

Mustelidae list on my land now:

• Weasel
    Polecat
    Stone Marten
    Pine Marten
    Badger
    Eurasian Otter

38. Marsh Tit
Fantastic to see that it hasn't become extinct here (yet). Just three years ago they were common in the garden, but the first one for this year came to the feeders this morning. Spring seems on the way, so hopefully there'll be a few more additions to the year list coming soon- going a bit slowly so far.....

Things are looking up at last, despite the snow still covering the garden, two more returnees from their winter holidays today:

36 Yellowhammer
37 Red Kite

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back