• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Specific budget, bins vs bins & scope (1 Viewer)

I am, after many many years, able to spend a little money on some good gear.

I have a budget of about $600-650.

I have two courses of action that I would hope for some advice on.
I may either get a Nikon SE and spend the whole kitty, or split the pot and go with a E2 and a Sky and Earth scope to go with it.

I do live near Lake Michigan and would love to be able to look for migrating and wintering water birds, but I also want excellent binoculars as I would be using them for the bulk of the time.

I am also considering some other models. The Zeiss Conquest, Minox, or Pentax instead of the SE; the Eagle Optics Ranger or Bushnell Discoverer instead of the E2, and maybe the Eagle Optics Raven scope instead of the Nikon.

At the moment I am leaning toward the E2 and Sky and Earth combo platter.
Thanks

My humble opinion:

The E2 + scope option is better than the binocular-only option, because: (1) it's more versatile (scope adds a much higher magnification); (2) the E2 has about the widest field of view available; (3) the superiority of the "best" binoculars is only a tiny step higher than the view of the E2; (4) the E2 is one of the most user-comfortable binoculars around (SE's have eye-position-sensitive blackout problems); and (5) I don't think that the other binoculars you listed (except the SE) provide a superior view.

Just an opinion.

Thank you.

I just arrived home from examining the Zeiss Conquest. They were very nice, good and light, very sharp, and being a roof and a Zeiss will probably survive anything. On the downside, they will cost the whole budget and the field of view is narrow compared to the SE and E2. They did not have either Nikon to compare, but I got a look at the Sky and Earth scope and did find it nice for the cost.

SteveF said:
My humble opinion:

The E2 + scope option is better than the binocular-only option, because: (1) it's more versatile (scope adds a much higher magnification); (2) the E2 has about the widest field of view available; (3) the superiority of the "best" binoculars is only a tiny step higher than the view of the E2; (4) the E2 is one of the most user-comfortable binoculars around (SE's have eye-position-sensitive blackout problems); and (5) I don't think that the other binoculars you listed (except the SE) provide a superior view.

Just an opinion.

SteveF si absolutely right. Plus, the Sky&Earth scopes are good, and you will see birds with them. Good choice!

Go over to Eagle Optics on Saturday morning (if you can't get there sooner), tell them what your budget is and ask for recomendations. I'll bet within your budget, you end up with a scope and a decent pair of bins and that you'll be happy with your decision. Take your time and look through them all (that you're interested in). Right now, I think they throw in a tripod with the scope.

Jaeger near Chicago

I do already have a good tripod from a past camera hobby.

However, I have decided to first of all get the best binoculars I can afford and worry about the scope later down the road.

I have discovered that a few online retailers have Zeiss ClassiC 8x30s, the 150th anniversary edition, for $600. I am strongly considering getting a pair of those.

RobConnel said:
Thank you.

I just arrived home from examining the Zeiss Conquest. They were very nice, good and light, very sharp, and being a roof and a Zeiss will probably survive anything. On the downside, they will cost the whole budget and the field of view is narrow compared to the SE and E2. They did not have either Nikon to compare, but I got a look at the Sky and Earth scope and did find it nice for the cost.

Rob,

You're in Wisconsin, so get yourself over to Eagle Optics and examine several binocular/scope options. You absolutely MUST treat your eyes to the Nikon E2 and SE models before you buy anything.

Best of Luck!

John

I know Eagle Optics quite well. They didn't have a Zeiss Classic for me to look at. If you can tell me that the E2 will be as sharp I suppose I can get the scope as well with the money I save. I have just heard so many wonderful things for the BGATs that my heart skipped a bit when I thought I might be able to own one.

Another thought...

Is there a eyepeice magnification multiplyer that will fit onto the Zeiss models? I was aiming at only 20x to 25x with the scope anyhow...

I like the compact body of the Classics, and I am looking for something that will last me my entire life at least. I am getting married soon and this is the last big purchase I will make for myself in the next few years (kids planned and all).

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards them. Would I be making a mistake if I chose them?

The scope is secondary, I could live without it for a while.

RobConnel said:
I like the compact body of the Classics, and I am looking for something that will last me my entire life at least. I am getting married soon and this is the last big purchase I will make for myself in the next few years (kids planned and all).

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards them. Would I be making a mistake if I chose them?

The scope is secondary, I could live without it for a while.

No, it would not be a mistake to get the Classics. You might however, find binoculars of that quality and of lesser price if you took the time to drive to Eagle Optics and look through them. Some of the new 8x42 roof prism waterproof binoculars in the $400 range (Celestron Regal LX) are just as good or better and do come with lifetime warranty.

Good choice on springing for the best bins you can afford. The scope will come later. My old Bushnell Spacemaster served me well, then 13 years after the kids were born came the Swarovski. You have your priorities in order. Now if you can just get enough money together to get the Zeiss 10x40 classics......

I have been into Eagle Optics, but the name Celestron or Bushnell does not do anything for me the way Nikon or Zeiss does.

I am going to have another look at the SE, then peek through the Pentax SP. The E2s look like they would not last me through raising a family, which I am hoping the binoculars I buy will do.

If the "Classic" has the same optics as the original I would say you made a fine choice.

I guess its possible, but I can't believe the E2 would match the Zeiss's clarity and sharpeness, let alone outperfom it. The SEs I can see. The old E version was nice, but way behind it, and outperforned by other less expensive bins.

IMO, The only other bin comparable to the Classic (under $600, 8x32, waterproof) is the Nikon LX (HG). These can be found on Ebay for $480, but they may be refurbs and may not have much of a warranty.

RobConnel said:
I do already have a good tripod from a past camera hobby.

However, I have decided to first of all get the best binoculars I can afford and worry about the scope later down the road.

I have discovered that a few online retailers have Zeiss ClassiC 8x30s, the 150th anniversary edition, for $600. I am strongly considering getting a pair of those.
Actually, the tripod has to be very good, good enough for pretty heavy gear. My camera tripod is barely useable at past 30x on the scope, too much shake.

Join your local Audubon groups, there are usually lots of people with scopes. And you end up standing outside in cold winter, so they prefer some company, the more the better.

RobConnel said:
I have been into Eagle Optics, but the name Celestron or Bushnell does not do anything for me the way Nikon or Zeiss does.

I am going to have another look at the SE, then peek through the Pentax SP. The E2s look like they would not last me through raising a family, which I am hoping the binoculars I buy will do.

Rob,

If anyone can show me a roof under $1200 that even begins to optically compare to the SE 8X32, I want to know about it. So, if it's optical beauty you want, strongly consider the SE 8x32. EO had them for < $600.

It's as bright as the most expensive bin around...the $1700 EL 8.5X42! Compare them if you don't believe me.

It's as sharp, or sharper, than the very best. Color and contrast are often sublime.

It's a beautiful, lightweight, ruggedly comfortable design.

It isn't waterproof, so a bath is out of the question. If you plan on birding in heavy rain I wouldn't recommend the SE. I go out in the rain with my Ultravid and the truth is I rarely see anyone else.

Nikon backs the SE with a 25-year warranty along with a $10 No-Fault warranty. Essentially, you're covered for life! If there's an SE user who's been unhappy with Nikon service, I haven't heard from them.

Forget all the negative commentary. Roll the rubber eyecups all the way down, carefully set the IPD and diopter, learn to hold it against your face with braced fingers, and get on with evaluating it. If you don't say WOW a few times, buy something else.

Best wishes...

John

get the best bins you can

scope later

SEs are fantastic but may not stand up to humid conditions as well as nitrogen-filled roof, and some of those aren't always up to it!

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back