• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excellent service (1 Viewer)

postcardcv said:
Well the problem with the diopter has been sorted, however there are dark specks in both barrels, on in the right barrel is large enough to effect viewing! So it seems that when they took them appart to correct the problem they failed to clean them before putting them back together.

So it's a forth trip back to Leica for the bins! Unless this gets sorted quickly I think it will be time to give up on Leica and change my bins!
seriously though,i would stay with the leicas!

your recent bad experiance with the dreaded leica service is quite frankly a
farce which only adds to the catalogue of scare stories from other forum members,BUT i still have yet to find any other binocular other than the 7/8+42
ultravid that i would rather own.

currently trying to choose between the nikon highgrades and the ultravids myself,those leicas feel so good in the hand.

matt

matt green said:

farce which only adds to the catalogue of scare stories from other forum members,BUT i still have yet to find any other binocular other than the 7/8+42

currently trying to choose between the nikon highgrades and the ultravids myself,those leicas feel so good in the hand.

matt

I know what you mean - my main bins are 7x42 ultravids and I've yet to see anything that I like more - I really can't imagine changing them. I'm sure I'll stick with Leica I like the view through them so much. A while ago I had to change my scope and ended up with a Swaro AT80HD and must confess that I'd rather have my APO77 back...

I just hope that when my 8x32s next come back they are clean and working, with no more problems. If I didn't have other bins to use I'd be furious with Leica, as it is I just find it annoying.

matt green said:

matt

I could tell you stories of poor service of any other major company in optics (except Swarovski). I got also the impression that Leica had improved their service since about 2 years or so. I think this is an individual case as it could happened with any other company as well. To make sure that the service will work in a proper way I would recommend to add a concise description of the failures in written form.

BTW I´ve heard that some companies in the UK (Swarovski?) would give the customer an alternative sample during the time the binocular or scope is in service. Is this true?

Steve

hinnark said:
I could tell you stories of poor service of any other major company in optics (except Swarovski). I got also the impression that Leica had improved their service since about 2 years or so. I think this is an individual case as it could happened with any other company as well. To make sure that the service will work in a proper way I would recommend to add a concise description of the failures in written form.

BTW I´ve heard that some companies in the UK (Swarovski?) would give the customer an alternative sample during the time the binocular or scope is in service. Is this true?

Steve

I think you're right that this is an exceptional case - I just seem to have got very unlucky. I have sent covering notes each time explaining what problem needed sorting. The thing that really suprised me is that each time the 'new' problem has not be spotted before that bins were returned to me. I would have thought that the bins would have been check out before being returned. Though in fairness the diopter problem would not have been instantly apparent if testing them. I will be writing to Leica about this when the matter has finally be resolved.

I should add that I had a problem with a pair of Leica Duovids a couple of years ago, this was sorted very quickly and I was loaned another pair of Leicas while mine were away.

no suprise!

Well they arrived back again today... and guess what... they're still not right.

When I sent them back last time I not only included a note explaining the problem, but also phoned and spoke to a customer service manager. He told me that once the bins had been cleaned and tested, that he would personally check them before they were returned to me. But I'm guessing he didn't, as there are still specks in both barrels, and still a big one in the centre of the right barrel.

So they are going back again (5th time now) and we'll see if they can get it right this time. After being impresssed at first when they seemed to have turned them roung in just 11 days, I'm less impressed now as there are still problems after 14 weeks...

Where is the address to send Leicas for repair? Mine are in a terrible shape and are now completely unusable, but I can't get them repaired here in Central America. I will be back in the summer for about a month and need to get them completely overhauled. They are only 3 years old, but so much has gone wrong with them that I am hoping it can all be done on the warranty. Any advice would be useful to me.

Tom

Hi Tom

Leica's detailes are:
Leica Camera Ltd
Davy Avenue
Knowlhill
Milton Keynes
MK5 8LB

Tel: 01908 256400
Fax: 01908 671316
Email: [email protected]

I wish you luck - a month might not be long enough...

leica appear to be taking the p?ss :C

at present i'm torn between the trinovid 8+42 and the swarovski slc 7+42,the swarovski's are one hundred pounds cheaper and come with one of the best
aftermarket care and warrenty's in the business.

lord knows how leica can excuse themselves from this farce they call customer care,personaly i still love leica optics but they are NOT so superior as to make me not look elsewhere when investing what to me is months of hard saved cash.

good job they are not your primary pair of binoculars!,hope they sort them out soon,preferably this year!.keep us posted.

matt

Peter,

I´ve never heard such a story about Leica´s service. My own experiences were always excellent. It seems to me that you have a local problem with the customer service of Leica UK. I would suggest to send the binocular to where they built them:

Leica Camera AG
Customer Service
Solmser Gewerbepark 8
D-35606 Solms / Germany

Regards

Steve

hinnark said:
Peter,

I´ve never heard such a story about Leica´s service. My own experiences were always excellent. It seems to me that you have a local problem with the customer service of Leica UK. I would suggest to send the binocular to where they built them:

Leica Camera AG
Customer Service
Solmser Gewerbepark 8
D-35606 Solms / Germany

Regards

Steve

They've been back to Germany once so far - that's were the diopter problem got sorted. Although they came back repaired they were internally dirty...

Hello,
last summer I had a good experience with Leica service in Germany. In August I sent my Leitz Trinovid 7x42B (made in 1972) to the Leica service (the address given by Steve). My Trinovid was in a bad state, with dirt inside and out of collimation. In September I received it and I must say they did an excellent service: they thouroughly cleaned it, replaced the eyecups and adjusted the collimation. The price was a bit high (340 euros) but it was worth it.
Alfredo

postcardcv said:
They've been back to Germany once so far - that's were the diopter problem got sorted. Although they came back repaired they were internally dirty...

Hello all

I have a pair of Leica 10X42 BA. I got them 8 years ago, and they have gone through many things by now. I am actually shocked that they have survived. Last year I had to send them to Germany to be checked up, and it took very little time and they gave a really good service. I am a bird guide, and for me the optics and the service are very important. Definitely Leica is for me the best.

Cristian

Got a call from someone at Leica today... my bins are going back to Germany again to get sorted out...

postcardcv said:
Got a call from someone at Leica today... my bins are going back to Germany again to get sorted out...

does this mean that they have been sitting around idle since early march for someone to come to the conclusion that yet again someone is'nt doing their job properly?

you should tell them [when you get them fixed] this whole sorry affair has been recorded on an international discussion forum.

keep us posted

matt

phoned Leica again today to find out if there was any news on my bins... apparently they are sitting in the workshop in Germany waiting to be done, but the repair cannot be carried out because they do not have stock of the rubber armouring, so could not re-armour them afterwards...

They could give me no idea of how long I'd have to wait as the armouring is made by a third party who will not supply a date for new stock.

Other than waiting for an unknown length of time the only other option that Leica have given me is to buy new bins at a discount rate...

finally sorted !

Well it's finally all been sorted - Leica in Germany have decided (after almost five months) that the binoculars are not going to be repaired... so today I received a new pair of 8x32 BNs as a replacement.

postcardcv said:
Well it's finally all been sorted - Leica in Germany have decided (after almost five months) that the binoculars are not going to be repaired... so today I received a new pair of 8x32 BNs as a replacement.

They could have saved a fair bit of their reputation if they had made that sensible decision at least 4 months earlier! Good luck and happy birding with your hard earned new pair.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back