• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (1 Viewer)

Surely, when the resident troll here begins a thread with an invitation to argue, the best response is no response. Yes, alas, I realize I didn't take my own advice.

Henry. Be careful or I will sic Professor EdZ from Cloudy Nights on you. Last time he made you look like a FOOL! That was soooooo funny. I was laughing for weeks. You were so confused trying to argue with him I think you almost had a coronary. He poked so many holes in your theories they were leaking all over the place. HaHa!

Last edited:
Surely, when the resident troll here begins a thread with an invitation to argue, the best response is no response. Yes, alas, I realize I didn't take my own advice.

Yeah the thread is baiting but Henry I think I have to side with Dennis on his premise!8-PI think we all also know he is setting up to flip his EDG given his history and his good fortune of how he aqcuired it.

But surely no other sports optics OEM has a CURRENT binocular lineup as comprehensive as Nikon. Not even close! And ergonomics aside, Nikon certainly has at least one optic in each category of style/type/usage that could be considered a reference binocular. My current fair weather dream team is the 8x30EII, 10x35EII, and 12x50SE. I would luv to add the EDG 7x42 to the mix as my foul weather optic but I can't bear the thought of all that $$$!

Last edited:
Dennis feels guilty after gloating about how he 'played' Nikon out of a new pair of 8x32 EDGs for $750, and felt that he needed to redeem himself by starting this thread. I, like Henry, ignored my Ignore List by responding!

You just couldn't resist could responding could you. Heh, you can do the same. There is a pair of 8x32 EDG I's on E-bay right now. They are one big bargain let me tell you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-EDG-8...648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c232e8178

This thread is starting to look like the psychology and philosophy forum I frequent.8-P

Is that where you go for therapy? I know it hurts deep down inside that you can't afford the EDG. Sell a few of those CPOS that you have and bid on those EDG's on E-bay. There is still a couple of days left on the auction.

Last edited:
Yeah the thread is baiting but Henry I think I have to side with Dennis on his premise!8-PI think we all also know he is setting up to flip his EDG given his history and his good fortune of how he aqcuired it.

But surely no other sports optics OEM has a CURRENT binocular lineup as comprehensive as Nikon. Not even close! And ergonomics aside, Nikon certainly has at least one optic in each category of style/type/usage that could be considered a reference binocular. My current fair weather dream team is the 8x30EII, 10x35EII, and 12x50SE. I would luv to add the EDG 7x42 to the mix as my foul weather optic but I can't bear the thought of all that $$$!

Here's one. Maybe you could talk them into shipping to Japan. Offer them $1K. I will bet the 7x42 EDG I will knock your socks off. DOF would be awesome on this thing. I will not flip the EDG until I find something better and I think Zeiss is the only one that could come up with something that could beat the EDG and the focus will still not be as smooth. Good but not as smooth. The 8x30EII, 10x35EII, and 12x50SE is quite a dream team. I haven't looked through the 12x50 SE but I bet it is very good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-EDG-7...=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5197580596#rpdId

I would have never guessed, in a million years, that discussing binoculars could produce results similar to discussing politics, sex and / or religion.

Such fervent passion, such unbridled enthusiasm.......so ridiculous.

And, BTW, Zeiss make the best bins;)

Did you get that Henry? You can go dust off your retro 7x35 Nikon Actions now and tell us how they are as good as the new alphas. What was that a 1980 or 82 model?

....Dusted off mine today and took them out. Except for the light transmission levels because of the coating choice....they are. ;)...and with better apparent depth of field and a much wider field of view.

;)

....Dusted off mine today and took them out. Except for the light transmission levels because of the coating choice....they are. ;)...and with better apparent depth of field and a much wider field of view.

;)

AND fuzzy edges! You recommended the Orion 8x42 Ultaview Porro's which were very good but you know what the fuzzy edges eventually got too me. I said to myself why bother with these when the Nikon SE's or EII's are better so I have to ask you outside of the historical signifigance of these old porros and the fact that you get them so cheap it is the DOF and large FOV that makes them attractive? I guess I am going to have to buy a pair of these to see what the attraction is. You seem to be infatuated with them or is it just the thrill of the chase. Ok, back to Nikon's are the best binoculars in the world. Do you agree with that statement?

Last edited:
AND fuzzy edges! UGH!

Is the buffoon buffing up again? Or is that puffing?

Didn't seem to be much of a problem last month and before, when you were on your high horse and crowing about how the FL was the world's greatest bin. Maybe you might be taken a little more seriously if there was any consistency in your posts or logic, but then again, that would obviously be expecting too much.

"Best in the World" is kind of a tough claim for any company but "Safe bet at any price point" is a claim that could probably be made of Nikon. You can be sure you are getting about as good as it gets at any price point with them and at least here in the US you also get a great warranty.

It is nice to be able to tell those who do not really have a deep interest in optics but want to get some nice ones to just buy the most expensive Nikons they can afford in whatever power/weight/size they like.

Is the buffoon buffing up again? Or is that puffing?

Didn't seem to be much of a problem last month and before, when you were on your high horse and crowing about how the FL was the world's greatest bin. Maybe you might be taken a little more seriously if there was any consistency in your posts or logic, but then again, that would obviously be expecting too much.

There you go again not allowing me to change my opinion when I get a new binocular. Heh, technology is changing fast man so when I try something new I have a right to change my opinion and like something better. Are you sure you are on the right thread? We are talking about the best binoculars in the world and sorry to say those usually cost more than $100.00 which I seem to remember was at the absolutely top of your budget. I guess in your world the Olympus Tracker 8x25 is the best. HaHa. Just don't leave them in the sun too long! You might get meltdown.

"Best in the World" is kind of a tough claim for any company but "Safe bet at any price point" is a claim that could probably be made of Nikon. You can be sure you are getting about as good as it gets at any price point with them and at least here in the US you also get a great warranty.

It is nice to be able to tell those who do not really have a deep interest in optics but want to get some nice ones to just buy the most expensive Nikons they can afford in whatever power/weight/size they like.

Exactly! That is the point of my thread. Nikon has all the bases covered with a great if not the best binocular at each price point. Some of the best less expensive(you hear me Lilcrazy and Brock) small reverse porros(Prostaff) and roofs(Monarch) and then moving up to THE best porro's(SE,EII's) and then moving up to the best roofs(EDG). Just like you say for whatever amount of money you have to spend be it a small amount(You hear me Lilcrazy and Brock) or a medium amount or a large amount Nikon has some of the best values at that amount of money. Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica are almost all high end whereas Nikon has all the markets covered. From the sub $100.00 price range(you hear me Lilcrazy) to the $2000.00 plus price range. Nobody has the different markets covered like Nikon. Whatever amount of money you have to spend it would be a good idea to see what Nikon has because it is probably the best for that amount of money.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back