• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So How Is Your 2005 List Going (1 Viewer)

92Bou +1 Local Patch
Nuthatch & GSW.
SE.

Awesome photo there Peter.....

27 Bou Garden List 2005
House Sparrow added 15/2

Full Garden List '05
BarnOwl, LittleOwl, Sparrowhawk, BHGull, CGull, HGull, GBBGull, Jackdaw, Crow, Rook, CollDove, WPigeon, FeralPigeon, Robin, Wren, Dunnock, BlueTit, Great Tit, Linnet, SongThrush, MistleThrush, Redwing, Blackbird, Starling, Goldfinch, Greenfinch.

Last edited:
Gill Osborne said:
WOW!!! Great photo......but could you tick BOTH of the birds if the Auk WAS still alive?

GILL
Macabre as it sounds....if it was struggling to get out of it's grip then yes!

Cool!!! I'll be keeping a beady eye open for Peregrines (or any other raptor that I haven't seen yet) hunting and hope they catch something which will be a new tick for me! LOL

GILL

postcardcv said:
... but will my 8 year old enjoy a trip to the local tip?
It depends.............!!!! I cringe with shame when I think of some of the 'fun' outings I subjected my lads to when they were little...."come on boys - let's go and stand in the pouring rain for 2 hours so I can get just-about-tickable views of Little Bustard" etc, etc.... Mind you, I took them with me when twitching London's first Olive-backed Pipit. The bird hadn't been seen yet that day so we waited with the crowd for some time, but no joy. The boys got restless and started mucking around, chasing each other and so on - they flushed the pipit into a bush for all to see! No one complained that day............. However, neither of them ever got the birding bug. I wonder why?!

Anyway, back to lists.

Andrew - nice one with your RC Pochard!

Got a surprise for 111th local bird today - Spotted Redshank - hasn't been one on the Axe estuary so far this winter I think, so quite unexpected (but welcome)

Last edited:
This evening after supper I stepped out onto the back deck to see if any woodcocks have arrived. Sure enough, I heard the distinctive "peent" call, and even managed to see one on the ground in the gathering twilight.

102. American Woodcock

I'm not sure I've had woodcocks this early in past years. Hope this means an early spring.

Dave

I was looking at a sparrow this morning and was wondering if it may have been a Swamp Sparrow when suddenly it 'screamed' and dived into the bushes. A Sharp-shinned Hawk had just dived down and almost got it. That was the first time this year I had seen that bird, #35.
Then I had taken a few steps from there when I saw another small bird. It was behind the branches and the leaves that had survived winter and I wasn't sure what it was. Another sparrow or a winter warbler? But then a woman who was out jogging went by 'made' the bird fly to a spot where I could see it better. It was my year's first Ruby-crowned Kinglet, #36 on my year list.

Last edited:
Up to 136 now picked up today
Twite 15 of them.
Snow Bunting . one flew over my head ..

Last edited:
Year List still stuck on 67, February List still 14!!! Feeble or what!!! :C

But hopefully I should add some new birds to the total tomorrow...going out for a full day ON MY OWN!!! :bounce: Nobody else to worry about...are they hungry/cold/bored/thirsty LOL Just me and my trusty Micra o:)

Wherabouts did you see those Twite littlestintboy? Anywhere in the region of Druridge ;) ....they would be a fab new year AND Life tick for me!

GILL

Last edited:
The Twite are most often where Dave Elliott has been putting out food for them, at the top of the beach about 100m due south of the concrete bridge thing at the mouth of the Chevington Burn, East Chevington. They're only not there if anyone has disturbed them while emptying their dogs there (which is unfortunately, all too often).

Cheers Peter...I'm planning on getting to Druridge Bay EARLY so perhaps I'll get along to Chevington first...see if I can pick anything good up.

Really looking forward to it...I'm being let out to play for a WHOLE DAY!!!!!! LOL And Neil is busy sorting out stuff for his mum on Friday too so perhaps this next two days is going to see me getting my List up in number! Certainly hope so!

GILL

Headed a bit north to a new lake (for me) in Missouri and in Iowa today. I was rewarded nicely with three lifers!

136. Northern Pintail (MO 64)
137. Redhead (MO 65)
138. Canvasback

Gill Osborne said:
Year List still stuck on 67, February List still 57! Feeble or what!!! :C

But hopefully I should add some new birds to the total tomorrow...going out for a full day ON MY OWN!!! :bounce: Nobody else to worry about...are they hungry/cold/bored/thirsty LOL Just me and my trusty Micra o:)

Wherabouts did you see those Twite littlestintboy? Anywhere in the region of Druridge ;) ....they would be a fab new year AND Life tick for me!

GILL

Hi Gill
Twite are at East Chevington drive down to the bottom then follow (right hand Path as you face the dunes) path to metal gate near a field full of cows . Twite were in there today,(also getting on dunes) also Smew on south pool there. water Rail and Kingfisher there this morning too.
Just noticed Nutcracker has answerd thats near where I had them today..

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back