• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New tripod (1 Viewer)

Thanks,

The fixing points for the ends of the arm are a bit of a compromise. I was going to attach to front of scope to give more stability, but then more awkward to use quickly. I see the Manfrotto fixes to the focus tube or camera support, which of course gives great stability but maybe adjustment of focus will raise or lower the viewpoint. I chose in the end to fix to nearside end of scope support plate. This works well enough, but when I rejig it all I will extend the scope support plate and fixing point another couple of inches out. ....All good fun to keep us busy !

Tom

Yes i wondered what would happen when adjusting the scope focus, as you say, this lengthens the overall scope length and would make the fixed arm force the scope or down a little bit.

I'm surprised that the Manfrotto isnt telescopic, ( like a car tailgate strut ) so that focusing doesnt change the scope balance, but then i guess it was designed for a DSLR lens, not a scope. Still, i wouldnt mind owning one

Really nice work!
How did you manage to built it? All from scratch, or som tripod parts? Congrats.

Thanks. All from scratch. Upper section, 1" aluminium pipe and lower section 3/4" aluminium pipe. The adjusters are 1"-3/4" poly pipe reducer and the shoes (at the bottom) are chair rubber soles. The bracket connecting the legs together are the cartridge of used car air-con dryer. The pvc coating on the upper legs are heat shrink tubing available in green, red and yellow (only). There are another type of rubberised heat shrink tubing available in black but I can't get it here at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back