• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro 8.5 ELs now with improved focus? (1 Viewer)

Alan M. said:
I believe I posted a similar message to this a few weeks ago. A phone call to Swarovski in the US elicited a response that an upgrade to the new focus system for the EL 8.5 x 42 might be available eventually, that I should phone every month or so for any further information. This response as well as other parts of the conversation made me hopeful about an upgrade.

An upgrade to an existing bin is very different from a redesigned focus incorporated into a new bin. Apparently, newer ELs with serial numbers AFTER L741995971 have this new focus. It appears that some here have new ELs with the faster focus and my question is "Does Swarovski have the redesigned focus availabe in the U.S.?"

razor6 said:
I'm wondering if anyone here has an 8.5x42 with a higher serial number that what Zurtfox quoted? Is Swarovski just shipping the older stock unless the customer specifically requests a newer one with the higher geared focus?

Rob

Hi Rob,

On the strength of what I was told by Swarovski (UK), I bought a pair of 8.5x42 ELs and they are definitely slower focussing. On a pair I had at the begining of the year it took 2.5 turns from infinity to nearest focus, now it is 1.25 turns. The serial number of my current EL is L742799323. I find it significant that neither Swarovski USA or UK knew of the design change until Austria HQ was asked.

Have you counted the turns on yours?

Chris

Last edited:
zurtfox said:
Hi Rob,

On the strength of what I was told by Swarovski (UK), I bought a pair of 8.5x42 ELs and they are definitely slower focussing. On a pair I had at the begining of the year it took 2.5 turns from infinity to nearest focus, now it is 1.25 turns. The serial number of my current EL is L742799323. I find it significant that neither Swarovski USA or UK knew of the design change until Austria HQ was asked.

Chris

Yes Chris,

These are definately the slower focus ones. It takes the full 2.5 turns from close to infinity. My problem is that it appears that Swarovski (USA) still has old stock (bins prior to the focus change) and is either randomly sending out (old plus new) or getting rid of older ones first. As I said, my serial # is older than the ones with the new focus. I plan on calling Swaorvski-USA today and asking about the possibility of trading for one with a higher serial # than the L741995971 and thus have the quicker focus. I've heard great things about their customer service, and I'm hoping it is true in this case.

Thanks, Rob

razor6 said:
An upgrade to an existing bin is very different from a redesigned focus incorporated into a new bin. Apparently, newer ELs with serial numbers AFTER L741995971 have this new focus. It appears that some here have new ELs with the faster focus and my question is "Does Swarovski have the redesigned focus availabe in the U.S.?"

How is an upgrade different? Can't they take the old bino and replace the focus mechanism with the new one? Their rep suggested that it would be possible.

zurtfox said:
Hi Rob,

Chris

Hi,

I asked Swarovski by mail for about 2 weeks ago if there are changes with focus of the 8,5 EL or if there are plans to do so. They answered that there aren´t changes or any plans to make a change.

Confused
Steve

zurtfox said:
Hi Rob,

Chris

Hi,

I asked Swarovski by mail for about 2 weeks ago if there are changes with the focus mechanism of the 8,5 EL or if there are plans to do so. They answered that there aren´t changes or any plans to make a change.

Confused
Steve

hinnark said:
Hi,

I asked Swarovski by mail for about 2 weeks ago if there are changes with the focus mechanism of the 8,5 EL or if there are plans to do so. They answered that there aren´t changes or any plans to make a change.

Confused
Steve

It sounds as though Swarovski USA is either not in touch with their HQ in Austria or are not being honest about developments in order to clear old stock. As I have owned both variations of the EL, I can say emphatically there is a 2.5 v 1.25 turns difference (to my cost - I sold the earlier version at a loss!).

BTW, although no-one is admitting it yet, they have started producing twist eyecups with 4 stops (and they cannot deny that either - I have them on my 8.5x ELs!).

Chris

As I was the one who originally started this thread, I can confirm that my 8.5 ELs, which were purchased in the UK in June, are the faster focus variant and the serial begins with L74209.

hinnark said:
Hi,

Confused
Steve
Steve,

I agree with you. I am totally confused as well. I didn't get a chance to call Swarovski-USA today, but I will tomorrow. I am worried that they are trying to clear old stock as well. I'm to the point that I am going to send this one back (just received it two days ago) and just wait for a while if I don't get a satisfactory answer. This forum is great for spreading the word about what is really going on (i.e., the definite change in focus and 4-click twist-up eyecups) and I think it would behoove Swarovski to let consumers know the real story. We can all just vote with our $$.

Rob

Last edited:
Update: I talked with Swarovski North America today and they confirmed that Yes, the quicker focus is available, and they will exchange my new 8.5s for the newer focus. They did say that they have old stock still in inventory and someone ordering should designate the newer focus models to ensure that is what will be shipped. So, I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service.

Rob

There's a Swarovski ad in the Autumn 2004 Living Bird, the magazine of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, that specifically says "Both EL series have the new, 1-1/2 turn, fast focusing wheels from 7ft to infinity." By "both series" they mean the 32mm and 42mm bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back