• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (2 Viewers)

Friday there was a Kestrel along the River Cole. It hung around for 20 minutes until seen off by magpies. I had to go and find the Kingfisher which was around the corner from loads of fish.

Morning walk around Trittiford Mill Pool produced: 7 Little Egret, 2 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron flew over, Grey Wagtail, 10 Redwing over and a couple of Siskin.
Also had a quick look at Moseley New Pool over at Swanshurst Park and found a pair of Shovelers.
A single Little Egret was present at Bamptons Pool.

On the River Cole this afternoon at the Dingles, the Kingfisher was on the bend before the 4 Arches Bridge. Loads of fish along there. It was there yesterday as well.

17 Little Egrets in the roost at Bamptons Pool this evening.

The roost is increasing rapidly. I had a minimum of 12 a few days ago, although with 7 reported at Trittiford and I had 3 along the Cole today, it's not surprising that the Bamptons roost is growing.

Des.

15 Little Egrets in the Bamptons Pool roost this evening. The pair of Shovelers was present again this afternoon on Moseley New Pool at Swanshurst Park.

I found another Kingfisher spotter lol. They reported;
Kingfisher on the River Cole by the Four Arches Bridge.
A male & female Bullfinch.
Blackbirds & Song Thrushes fighting over the berry bushes.

Walk around Swanshurst Park produced 53 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 12 Herring Gull, 100+ Black-headed Gull, 8 Tufted Duck, 2 Shoveler and 1 Cormorant.
Then a quick walk around Trittiford produced a flyover Little Egret heading for Priory Mill, a Grey Heron at Scribers Lane and 7 Redwings overhead.
17 Little Egrets & 3 Grey Herons roosted at Priory Mill/Bamptons Pool. A Kingfisher flew across the Pool at 1643.

Drake Mandarin + 2 pairs of Shoveler at Swanshurst Pool today.

Des.

Attachments

• Mandarin- 1 S Pool.jpg
    Mandarin- 1 S Pool.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 21
The "Swanshurst Gull" of the last two winters has returned and should hold features that will hopefully clinch its ID, unless it's a hybrid.

Des.

Attachments

• S Pool Gull 1-2018.JPG
    S Pool Gull 1-2018.JPG
    448.5 KB · Views: 42
  • S Pool  Gull-2018.JPG
    S Pool Gull-2018.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 32
The "Swanshurst Gull" was still present this afternoon foraging with other Gulls near the Fire Station. There were 20 Little Egrets present in the Priory Mill Pool roost this evening.

The "Swanshurst Gull" of the last two winters has returned and should hold features that will hopefully clinch its ID, unless it's a hybrid.

Des.

Latest discussion I have seen does favour a hybrid, possibly Yellow-legged x Caspian

Latest discussion I have seen does favour a hybrid, possibly Yellow-legged x Caspian

Yes. I've seen the tweets and the discussions I have had also favour a hybrid, but not conclusive yet. A wait and see approach is being adopted by some.

Des.

17 Goosander at the Priory Mill pool / Brompton pool today.
There was a male Bullfinch in the same area behind the Dingles as in the summer, which was good to see.
Good numbers of stickleback at the Dingles Chinn brook inlet to the River Cole, the most at the Sarehole Mill race / outlet and some in a weir pool along the Cole.
No Kingfisher though but the river water level was perhaps too high, fast and murky.

Last edited:
17 Goosander at the Priory Mill pool / Brompton pool today.
There was a male Bullfinch in the same area behind the Dingles as in the summer, which was good to see.
Good numbers of stickleback at the Dingles Chinn brook inlet to the River Cole, the most at the Sarehole Mill race / outlet and some in a weir pool along the Cole.
No Kingfisher though but the river water level was perhaps too high, fast and murky.

Now 19 Goosander, including 9 drakes, at Priory Mill pool.

Des.

Female Goosander this afternoon at Trittiford. Unfortunately I was stuck for time and didn't get chance to take a proper look at the big number of gulls present. Mostly Black-headed and Lesser Black-backed but you never know, something out of the ordinary from Swanshurst or elsewhere may have been present. Never seen so many gulls in previous visits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back