• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (5 Viewers)

Mike Inskip and Jim Winspear managed to break the Little Egret record at Priory Mill pool on the Birmingham/Solihull birder, recording 25 roosting birds yesterday evening.

Des.

Afternoon visit;

Treecreeper
Great-spotted Woodpecker drumming
Herring Gull
Kingfisher (two seperate sightings, first in the brook towards Scribers Lane, the second in the park by the outflow, possibly the same bird)
3 Goosanders 1 m, 2 f.

The lake 80% or so frozen.

Afternoon visit;

Kingfisher (two seperate sightings, first in the brook towards Scribers Lane, the second in the park by the outflow, possibly the same bird)

The lake 80% or so frozen.

Nice one on the Kingfisher Phil!
It was in similar places this time last year!

Today's sightings:

Swanshurst: Little Egret, Grey Heron, Great Crested Grebe collecting nest material and 2 Cormorants.

Trittiford Mill: 2 male Pochard, 5 Goosander including 2 drakes, Cormorant, 7 Lesser Black-backed Gull, a drumming Great Spotted Woodpecker and 2 Greylag Geese.

Scribers Lane: A Little Egret was spotted foraging in the River Cole. Kept an eye out for Kingfishers but no sign.

Well I was on a Kingfisher roll and my ears were tuned in lol.
The Kingfisher are calling again.
As I walked around Trittiford I heard a Kingfisher calling.
This was against the sound of noisy gulls and geese getting fed and the traffic slowly going past due to traffic lights.
Anyway I soon located the Kingfisher and it was still calling whilst fishing along the River Cole.
Great!

Afternoon visit:

5 Goosander (2 males, 3 females)
2 Pochards (males)
5 Tufted Ducks (3 males, 2 females)
3 Stock Doves
6 Siskins (4 over calling, then a further pair)
1 Grey Wagtail (The Dingles)
1 Little Egret (The Dingles)
2 Buzzards
2 Cormorants
2 Great-spotted Woodpeckers
1 Nuthatch
2 Mistle Thrushes
1 Coal Tit
1 Herring Gull (adult)
41 species in total.

The Kingfisher this morning was on the River Cole down from Trittiford.
It flew along the river and called a few times, it stopped over the river.
Always a few Nuthatch making their tutting noise.

The Kingfisher pair again along the River Cole at Trittiford, yesterday and today.
Yesterday the were chasing around and calling.
Today sat together and then flew off.

I was at the River Cole first thing this morning before the Kingfisher. Then I heard the call mixed in with the dawn chorus and then there they were flying up and down the river. They went, up, down and around for a while before the female stopped and tried to do some fishing. The water was faster and darker than usual due to the rain but not that bad. She disappeared into a bush to fish at the very edge of the water where it was clearer. I left her to it. My first Chiffchaff calling on the Cole.

The Kingfisher pair again along the River Cole yesterday early morning though they didn't stay long as the water levels were higher and the water brown.

Stroll round this afternoon in the sunshine:

2 Chiffchaffs
5 Herring Gulls
12 Lesser Black-backed Gulls
1 Coal Tit
1 Stock Dove
1 Nuthatch
1 Great-spotted Woodpecker
1 Song Thrush
2 Mistle Thrushes
2 Buzzards (over)

1 Comma butterfly in the woods

The dawn chorus was in full effect along the River Cole, Trittiford this morning but the Kingfisher that flew through was quiet.
Not unless like elsewhere one of them is sitting on some eggs?

Quick visit yesterday afternoon;

5 Goosanders (all females)
3 Ravens (a pair then another came across to mob them)
2 Tufted Ducks
2 Herring Gulls
1 Cormorant
1 Little Egret

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back