• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR (1 Viewer)

Swedpat

Today I received the Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR. I ordered it because of earlier experience with the 10x25 version, which I became very impressed with. Leica Ultravid 8x20 is the first ever 8x20 which allows me to see the entire field of view with eye-glasses on. Though it's not that comfortable and open view as with larger aperture models with equal AFOV it really works. The Ultravid 8x20 actually is better in this respect than the Ultravid 8x32 model.
I will give a more detailed report later.

Regards, Patric

Review of Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR

I have now examined the Ultravid 8x20 and also made a comparison to the SLCnew 7x42. Though this hardly can be a really fair comparison, because here we can really talk about "different animals"!

The 8x20 small and lightweight with small exit pupil. The 7x42 large and heavy with a large exit pupil. In the comparison to the SLC 7x42 the image through the Ultravid 8x20 feels a bit limited and dim, significantly dimmer even at daytime. The eye placement is critical through the 8x20, just a slight movement of the eye and the image becomes dimmer. With the 7x42 I will never think about it; the image is always open and clear.

The Ultravid 8x20 provides an extremely sharp image and that's over a big part of the FOV.
I have read reviews of the Ultravid 8x20 there it mention about a large sweet spot. This is correct, the image is sharp and visibly undistortioned almost to the edges and I cannot notice any neither barrel or pincushion distortion.

When I try to look indoors at objects in the shadow near the window I experience the inner reflections and ghost images to be very moderate, and quite comparable to the SLC 7x42.

About the close focus I can quite comfortably look at the object at a distance of 1,6m from the objectives.

I experience the depth of field to be better in the 7x42 than in the 8x20, Looking at close distance needs to change the focus more often in the 8x20.

The Leica Ultravid 8x20 is offered in two versions: BL with a leather surface which is more estethically attractive in my opinion, and the BR in a rubber surface. I chosed the BR because I prefer a rubber surface and the rubber version also is some mm thicker along the barrels. These factors will make the BR more comfortable to hold and constribute to a more stable view. The holding comfortability of the Ultravid 8x20 is likely as comfortable as possible with such a small sized glass; that will means a larger sized binocular of similar design is always better.

The Ultravid 8x20 is made in a reliable and waterproof performance with well workening focus knob without a play. The dioptri setting for the right eyepiece is made by pressing in a button at the underside of the "midstage" (I likely don't find the correct word for it...) when turn the focusing knob.

The eye lens is ca 16mm and the stated eye relief is 16mm at the website of Leica. But in the instruction manual it's stated to 13,9mm. Actually "eye-relief" isn't mentioned there but "exit pupil longitudinal distance" which I understand is the same as eye relief. Also the FOV is stated different between the website and the instruction manual. The manual states 6,3deg when the website states 6,5deg. But what,s matter? It's the practical experience which is important.

Leica has designed the eyepiece that an eyeglasses wearer can make use of the most possible of the eye relief; with the eyecups downfolded the eyepiece lenses are that minimally recessed as it's possible without risking to get contact with the eyeglass lenses.

Conclusion:
A compact binocular always means a compromise. I don't make the same demand of viewing comfortability as with larger binoculars. With a compact binocular you have to sacrifice either magnification or brightness. The problem in my opinion is that the usual choice is to sacrifice the brightness. Instead of the same magnification and several times lower brightness, I would wish an alternative with slightly lower magnification and slightly lower brightness.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 likely is close to be the "perfect" compact binocular. What is missing/what measure needs to make it be the perfect one? Yes, instead of a 8x20 it should be a 6x20. 6x20 would result in a 3,3mm exit pupil with significantly brighter and clearer image, even better eye relief, significantly less critical eye placement and noticable steadier image. That with a very moderate sacrifice of the practical resolution.

The difference between 2,5mm and 3,3mm exit pupil means the difference between beeing a strictly daytime binocular and to be a binocular usable even at dusk and dawn. Many years ago I had a Zeiss Classic 6x20 monocular so I have experience with that. I regret I sold it...

During the time I am waiting Leica offer an Ultravid 6x20 I will keep the Ultravid 8x20...

Regards, Patric

Patric,
Thanks for the nice review of the Leica compact. My experience with a compact is with a cheap 8x25 reverse-Porro Nikon. The optics is not so bad, but it is narrow-fielded, hard to hold, hard to look through, and bulky for its aperture. Even at 25mm, it won't fit into a large coat pocket.

An excellent tiny binocular could be very useful and fun. The Leica is expensive, but has none of the problems that limit mine. Enjoy your little baby!
Ron

Rather than start a new thread, I want to ask a question: Where is the Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR made?

They are made in Deutschland.

Jerry

Very good, thanks. I thought perhaps they were made in Portugal. Of course, that wouldn't be a problem since most of the work on the Ultravids are carried out there, with final assembly in Germany. I just wanted to know what it says on the binocular.

These were purchased in 2009. So far as I know, they have always been made in Portugal.

Mark

I think all the folding pocket Leicas have been made in Portugal. My 1990 8x20 BCAs certainly were and all the ones I have looked at since, although I have to admit I haven't looked at the Ultravids.

Lee

Forgive my ignorance with the following, but I've searched and never seen any mention of this issue. Hoping someone can enlighten me:

I briefly tried a Silverline 8x20 in a shop the other day. With the narrow diameter of the barrels I found the eyepieces really uncomfortable, to such an extent that I wondered if I was somehow using them incorrectly. I don't wear eyeglasses, so when I raised the eyecups and brought the binocular to my eyes the diameter of the eyecups appeared to be approximately the same diameter as my eyeballs. Because of this, my eyelashes brushed against the rim of the eyecup and the eyecups also rested against my eyelids. Is this how they are supposed to function? Brushing the eyelashes is naturally an annoying sensation, it feels like poor ergonomics to me.

Are you supposed to get used to this?
Are you supposed to hold the eyepieces further away from your eyes -- how do you brace the binocular if this is the case?

I only am familiar with 8x32s where the larger eyecups rest against the entire eye socket.

Forgive my ignorance with the following, but I've searched and never seen any mention of this issue. Hoping someone can enlighten me:

I briefly tried a Silverline 8x20 in a shop the other day. With the narrow diameter of the barrels I found the eyepieces really uncomfortable, to such an extent that I wondered if I was somehow using them incorrectly. I don't wear eyeglasses, so when I raised the eyecups and brought the binocular to my eyes the diameter of the eyecups appeared to be approximately the same diameter as my eyeballs. Because of this, my eyelashes brushed against the rim of the eyecup and the eyecups also rested against my eyelids. Is this how they are supposed to function? Brushing the eyelashes is naturally an annoying sensation, it feels like poor ergonomics to me.

Are you supposed to hold the eyepieces further away from your eyes -- how do you brace the binocular if this is the case?

I only am familiar with 8x32s where the larger eyecups rest against the entire eye socket.

I found this with my Leica 8x20s some years ago and for this reason and the floppy hinges on my unit, I eventually sold it.

I got around the eyecup problem to a certain extent by putting my first fingers under my eyebrows and resting the eyecups against the underside of them. And before you say anything, yes, you can't focus while you are doing this so you have to focus with just one finger against one eyecup and then when you have a sharp image, move your focusing finger back to eyecup support duties. Not ideal, but then, if you set the focus for a middle distance then you don't have to refocus that much and you do have a fold-away pair of pocket bins which are better than no bins.

On the whole it didn't work for me but I now have a pair of Zeiss Victory Compacts that do. I briefly tried the Swaro pockets and they seemed ok too, but I would need a longer test to be sure.

Lee

...when I raised the eyecups and brought the binocular to my eyes the diameter of the eyecups appeared to be approximately the same diameter as my eyeballs. Because of this, my eyelashes brushed against the rim of the eyecup and the eyecups also rested against my eyelids. Is this how they are supposed to function? Brushing the eyelashes is naturally an annoying sensation, it feels like poor ergonomics to me.

Are you supposed to hold the eyepieces further away from your eyes -- how do you brace the binocular if this is the case?...

It is a design flaw of all the tiny pocket roof models. Eyecups should fit the eye, not the binocular ocular, but no model that I know of comes with large (flaring out) eyecups, presumably because consumers would find the look of it strange. I've no trouble with pocket roofs because I wear glasses and so don't use the eyecups. If I didn't wear glasses, I'd fashion some accessory eyecups from ones I've seen on some astronomy eyepieces or lab equipment. Another alternative is to go to a larger bin. I think the eyecups on the Swarovski 8x25 are much larger than those on the Ultravid.

--AP

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. They seem like fine binoculars otherwise but, personally, those ergonomics are a deal breaker. Makes future decisions much simpler.

I never could use binoculars by placing them inside my eye sockets.

I don't wear glasses and I like large eye cups too when I can get them; but the way I hold all of my binoculars minimizes the problem of small eye cups like the ones on 8x20 binoculars.

I brace the top of the eye cups against my brow ridges, just under my eyebrows, making minute adjustments until I get it right. It has become instinctive by now. This method works for me with all kinds of eye cups including the soft roll down kind.

Bob

I received my Ultravid 8x20 today. I'm pleased with them.

Only two quibbles. No objective covers - does anyone know of any solutions? And the belt loop on the pouch is a bit of a joke.

They are made in Portugal.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back