• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2002 Year List (1 Viewer)

Really makes me look pretty bad, John J. You have 98 already and all I have is 11. And not even all of last year did I have as much as you have already.

Marcus

Don't fret about it as you obviously are not as mad as me. As long as you enjoy this hobby of ours it doesn't matter what amounts you have seen. It's all about preferences. What type of birding I like is probably a million miles from your type of birding.

BTW I have added another 6 today.

John J
I do have 12 birds now, but that 12th is only my years first American Crow. Wow?
What type of birding do you like? I bet yours is traveling around the globe to see birds from all the continents. And as many different islands that you can get to. You seem to be someone who can do all those things. You're a professional ornithologist, aren't you?
Let me go your Bird Forum site to see.

Marcus

No, I am an ordinary Joe that loves driving. I love watching all the birds but the thrill of the chase is good to. I have a pager that tells me what birds are where and if anything turns up that I want to see I try to go after it. Going after these birds also introduces me to all sorts of places throughout Britain which is an added bonus.

I always try to book a couple of holidays abroad each year if I can. Those holidays are totally birding holidays and I travel great distances on those holidays. To be honest I stay on the European continent only as that is all I can afford on my wages but I don't miss going further afield because there is so much that I haven't seen yet. I started birdwatching in 1995 but in that time I have been all over the place in my pursuit of birds.

I haven't got a web site. I don't know how to design one. I am hopeful that one or two people in this forum will have time to show me how to go about it. Meanwhile I have a few foreign trip reports, and a Scottish trip report in the Trip Report Forum if you want a read.

I really wish I could drive around to go birding. There are a lot of places I always read that offer good birding, but unfortunately I can only do is local. I'd like to think that there is nobody in the United States that would love to enlarge their lifelist more than me, but I don't know...
I'll have to go to Trip Report Forum and read about your trip. I'm sure it's more than I'll ever likely get to do.

Marcus

It's a shame that you couldn't link up with some birders that are local to you. Try doing a search on the net for Maryland birding groups or clubs. I assume that you don't drive. What about a bike? With one of those you could at least stretch your territory a bit more. There must be ways of stretching your wings so to speak (pardon the pun).

Hi John J (I just managed to use my computer again, and saw the message you sent Monday.)
I do belong to a bird club here, though I never really do anything with them. Only once, in 2001, did I get to go to one of their meetings.
There is a website that birders from all over Maryland and Virginia can send messages mainly about some birding they have just done and birds that have been seen. Doing that is almost the only way I come in contact with other club members. I have met a few club members who happened to be birding the same place I was. I'll admit, I liked that more than spotting a bird to add to my life-list.
Marcus

Twitching

368 species in a year. I'd like tohave seen him do it 20 years ago!

Nowadays in my opinion, you do not need to be a "good birder" to achieve figures well over 250 per annum.

All you need is time, transport and a pager etc. The hard work is already done by other birders finding birds on their local patch ect.

Just my opinion.3:)

Osprey

Osprey

I am one of those twitchers you are talking about. Perhaps not as mad as some but madder than others. You might find it surprising but I actually agree with everything you say. It does make it easy for us. But what is wrong with that. I haven't got the necessary skills that the good birders have and I have long since recognised that fact. If I was totally reliant on my skills I think that I would probably have given up by now as I would be getting frustrated with myself.

Everyone has their own way of following whatever hobby they like and every hobby has evolved in some way by the experts wanting to make things easier and better. That's a fact of life.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is nothing wrong with that. When it becomes a problem is when someone tries to besmirch others because they don't fit into the way that person thinks they should.

Opinions are great as everyone can learn something from the way other people think but don't fall into the trap of saying it is your opinion but saying it in a way that knocks people that fall into the catergory that you are having a go at.

Just my opinion.

"I haven't got the necessary skills that the good birders have and I have long since recognised that fact."

Are you joking, John? If I had half the skills you've got I would be a happy man. Then there's your determination. You wouldn't catch me sleeping in a car overnight in freezing temperatures!

Spot on John,

You and me know that we do not agree on everything birding, but we respect our rights to express our opinion, and as long as we dont upset the birds, we can live with each other.

Oh, and mostly down to you lot, I'm doing me own private count this year. I'll publish it only if I can beat the rest of yah! Lol.

Mike

Peter

It's nice of you to say those things but don't forget you are only just starting whilst I have been doing it for 7+ years now. Honestly, when I look at other birders it makes me realise just how inadequate my skills are.

Would you believe that I still get mixed up with some of the easy calls but that could be down to the fact that I am probaly tone deaf. Some birds really do stand out and they are easily recognisable by their calls. Likewise some birds are very easy to ID but the test comes with the LBJ's of the world, That really sorts out the men from the boys.

On the plus side, yes I do have the determination and drive to get out there where it hurts but even that is slowing down since I met Ros. I am not going the distances that I used to so in effect I am not seeing all the birds I would like to.

Mike

Well you are certainly in, & close to, some of the better birding areas in Britain. If you put yourself asbout a bit who knows what you might achieve. "Go for it", that is what I say.

John J said:
Osprey

I am one of those twitchers you are talking about. Perhaps not as mad as some but madder than others.

So am I.

You might find it surprising but I actually agree with everything you say.

Good.

It does make it easy for us. But what is wrong with that.

Well, when me and the better half twitches, we make sure what we have seen and stay long enough to ID the species.

In the last few years, certain "Birders" turn up at a site, quick glance. "That's it" off we go with no birding prowess at all.

Are they *Dudes*

Lee Evans all is forgiven.
3:)

Osprey

Oprey

I have to say that if that is the way they want to do their birding then what is wrong with that. It may be not your way of doing things but it is theirs. There are no right or wrong ways of doing birding as long as the birds safety isn't jeopardised.

Nothing I suppose:)

But I've seen quite a lot of "Birders" leave a site, "thinking" they have seen something that they haven't :-(

"the birds safety isn't jeopardised"

Oh dear, now I could get on my high horse about that!

Osprey

I think I know what you are getting at and I think that I should add that you do not disturb the local residents in a way that would upset them and also treat the property that the bird is on as if it was your own. Mind you some people live like pigs so that part might not help with some birders.

Anyway, I think you know what i mean. Birding is for everyone to do how they want to do it as long as certain standards of common sense are used.

Have I explained myself okay? :lol

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back