• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (5 Viewers)

The Citrine wagtail is still at Maristany ( Tucan Marsh) this morning. Many congratulations to the finder, a fourth for Mallorca I believe.
And still the rarities keep coming, I wonder what else is out there? Mike

The Citrine wagtail is still at Maristany ( Tucan Marsh) this morning. Many congratulations to the finder, a fourth for Mallorca I believe.
And still the rarities keep coming, I wonder what else is out there? Mike

That is good news, I have passed on your congratulations to Nick on FB.
Stuart

Amazingly there are now two Rollers near Colonia Sant Jordi. I am wondering if they have bred there, the bird I saw was a juvenile. Mike

Many thanks Stuart. It's great that we received the news, there was a major twitch (by Mallorcan standards!) and everyone who went connected with this mega rare bird. Brilliant. Mike

Many thanks Stuart. It's great that we received the news, there was a major twitch (by Mallorcan standards!) and everyone who went connected with this mega rare bird. Brilliant. Mike

No sign when we popped in this morning, just one Yellow Wag as well as the usual suspects. Birder from Palma had been there a couple of hours also with no sign.

Cheers
Dave

Sorry the Wagtail seems to have gone, I didn't think it would hang around.
Conversely, the two Rollers are still at the roundabout, Colonia Sant Jordi. Very different looking birds.
I saw 37 Common Kestrel at the plain, Vilafranca this morning. Many migrant kestrels pass through the Island in autumn.
Also a roost of 54 Night Heron at the salt pans, Colonia Sant Jordi this morning. Mike

Groups of Bee-eaters are beginning to move through the Island today. Lots more to come I hope. Mike

We had a flock of 32 go over this morning as we were dragging the kids up Puig De Maria. Also a few Alpine & Pallid Swifts at the summit, as well as a Pied Fly on the ascent. Highlight was a stunning Two-tailed Pasha perched on a sign near the monastery as well as a few Swallow-tails.

Dave

Yesterday at Pla de Lanzell (Vilafranca), the big flats near Manacor, we could see a group of 8 dotterels. They were quite far away in a burnt area, but in the pic you can see six of them, several were in a wonderful summer livery.

Attachments

• 195_Fuell_Collar900.jpg
    195_Fuell_Collar900.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Dave for your posts, some nice birds there. Alpine swift have left many of their traditional sites so it's great that some were still around for you.
Two-tailed Pasha are quite something, the first one I saw looked like a bat! They glide a lot too so they are even more impressive. Enjoy the rest of your time here. Mike

I have just come back from the plain at Villafranca and I think the Dotterel must have moved on. I found the right field, very small and distant, but many people were working nearby and may have disturbed the birds. Mike

A Spoonbill at Salobrar was the best bird this morning, a few Ruff, 11 Grey Heron, 9 Curlew, a group of 11 Red Kite circling together and three groups of Flamingoes, probably 400 in total. Mike

I wondered about the group of eleven Red kite and I have read up about their migration. Apparently Red kite are sedentary except in colder climates where they often migrate to areas such as Spain which is obviously warmer. Perhaps others who know more could comment. I do remember some Red kite migrating to the UK once so there is definitely some movement of this species, especially from Germany and Sweden so the article said. Mike

Thanks Dave for your posts, some nice birds there. Alpine swift have left many of their traditional sites so it's great that some were still around for you.
Two-tailed Pasha are quite something, the first one I saw looked like a bat! They glide a lot too so they are even more impressive. Enjoy the rest of your time here. Mike

This morning we started off at Albufereta from the viewing tower. Two GW Egrets and numerous Purple & Night Herons. Also present the weird grey Little Egret (had it the other day but forgot to mention). Then onto Tucan Marsh, where the water has dropped further. Three Little Stints, Curlew Sand, two Wood Sands and surprisingly two Marbled Teal (not seen them here before). One Squacco and numerous Night Herons flying about.

Yesterday a few more Bee-eaters over the villa. No Scops calling this year, presumably we are too late.

cheers
Dave

I wondered about the group of eleven Red kite and I have read up about their migration. Apparently Red kite are sedentary except in colder climates where they often migrate to areas such as Spain which is obviously warmer. Perhaps others who know more could comment. I do remember some Red kite migrating to the UK once so there is definitely some movement of this species, especially from Germany and Sweden so the article said. Mike

Hi Mike, yes that's correct, and although it's not till later that the bulk of the birds that migrate down the Rhone valley go past the watch point near Geneva, they've already had nearly 30 go past, so I see no reason why your birds
shouldn't be migrants from further north.
I enjoy the thread, even though my only visit to the island was in 1980!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back