• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (3 Viewers)

A very pleasant morning spent at the Cap. A bit early yet but five migrant Marsh harrier (four female and one male) kept us awake. It's just great fun sitting with the locals learning more about the Island every time. Any visiting birders are very welcome to join us at the weekends, it can be spectacular when the Honey buzzard come through. Mike

Having said that Balearic warblers are never seen in scrub higher than knee-high, my birding pal Philip has seen quite a few feeding near the tops of pine trees, but only at this time of the year. There must be an insect up there that is only prevalent during late summer. I have never heard of this behavior before. Mike

Having said that Balearic warblers are never seen in scrub higher than knee-high, my birding pal Philip has seen quite a few feeding near the tops of pine trees, but only at this time of the year. There must be an insect up there that is only prevalent during late summer. I have never heard of this behavior before. Mike

It could be exudation of a sweet sap or resin that attracts them.
MJB

Where was it?

We were staying just past the 3km marker on the Ma-10 outside Pollenca. If you look up to your left as you travel away from Pollenca there are three obvious peaks. The nearest/lowest one is where we walked to. Below it is a small rounded plateaux (this is where two of the calling Wrynecks were). There is obviously something going on up there as there was a wagon parked up and some high (presumably deer) fencing. The animals however were on he same side of the fence as us, so presumably could roam the hillside.

Cheers
Dave

Blue tits

Hi Ben Nevis, Great tits are common throughout the Island I believe. Blue tits are quite scarce away from the mountains and I am always interested in records, I have only ever seen one here in the south-east in ten years. Michael Schade also saw one in Mondrago, so there do occur but very rarely.
I can't help with the Glossy Ibis I'm afraid but I hope someone else can.
I am making great progress but I am sorry to have missed our annual outing together, I very much enjoyed seeing you the past two years.
My stitches come out Friday but I can't drive for six weeks so I will be covering the local coast hoping for some autumn migration, these four walls are driving me mad, birders are just not meant for staying indoors. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and do keep in touch, all the best, Mike

Hi Mike,
Just seen two blue tits in garden of holiday villa in Pollensa (la font). Didn't realise they were so scarce on the island. Only here for a week, everyone's posts doubly welcome. Many thanks

Last edited:
[edit] I've just checked in the published list of bees and wasps and there are three species recorded. My best guess would be either Polistes gallicus or Polistes dominula but I've contacted a friend who might be able to help further.

Hi Mike
I've just heard back from my friend. Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show enough detail of the head to determine which of the two Pollistes species it is. Apparently one needs to see the head in side view to compare the colour of the mandibles and yellow marks beside the eye.
Best wishes
Martin

Marbled Duck

I noticed from my photos that one of the Marbled Teal we had at Tucan Marsh had a colour/plastic ring. Are these escapes or is there a ringing programme on the island (or elsewhere)? See attached photo.

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Marbled Teal Mallorca 2016.jpg
    Marbled Teal Mallorca 2016.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 81
Hi Martin, many thanks, I will pass the information on, much appreciated.
Mickelene. Thanks for the Blue tit record, I am keeping a note of all sightings away from their regular haunts in the mountains. Have a great time, I will post all sightings.
Dave, not sure about the ringing of Marbled duck, I will ask and post on here.
I saw a Black kite this morning low over Calonge, it flew low west but gained height for San Salvador.
Mike

I noticed from my photos that one of the Marbled Teal we had at Tucan Marsh had a colour/plastic ring. Are these escapes or is there a ringing programme on the island (or elsewhere)? See attached photo.
Dave

Hi Dave
A team of ringers do operate in Mallorca but I think you will find that it is likely that this particular bird is one of the latest batch of birds released as part of a reintroduction programme for Marbled Teal. About 16 birds were released into s'Albufera during one of my last visits there. A bit like the other reintroductions - the neck-ringed Red-knobbed Coots that you see on the Gran Canal, Short-toed eagles in the Tramuntana and the failed White-headed Duck releases.
They're all part of government-led initiatives.
Best wishes
Marrin

Last edited:
[...] Short-toed eagles in the Tramuntana and the failed White-headed Duck releases.
They're all part of government-led initiatives.

Hi Martin!
I believe you mean Bonelli's Eagle, right? I haven't heard of any released Short-Toed Eagles on the island.

All the best,
Martin

A Knot has been seen today at Maristany (Tucan Marsh). Quite a rare bird these days, I believe that this is the only one this year. Mike

It looks like La Gola is having a good time with an Orphean warbler today following on from a Red-footed falcon.
The warbler is a real mega here so well done to the finder. Mike.

It looks like La Gola is having a good time with an Orphean warbler today following on from a Red-footed falcon.
The warbler is a real mega here so well done to the finder. Mike.

Thanks Mike. Fingers crossed that it stays 'til Monday - arriving for a week with the family at PP!

Hi all,
I've been in Mallorca for 2 and a half days, and I'm really enjoying it! The cove next to my hotel is beautiful, and Audouin's Gulls and Shags inhabit it. Today was the first day we went birding, and we went to Parc Natural De Llevant. We spotted lots of Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Spotted Flycatchers and Sardinian Warblers. We also saw 6 Red Kites gracefully soaring in the air. But my favourite bird was an Eagle - I think Booted. I managed to take some fairly decent pictures, so when I can (might be when I return to the UK), you guys can impress me with your bird knowledge and ID the eagle for me. ;)

Well are going to Albufera and other places soon, so I'll post what I see.
Happy birding. :)
_TheBirdNerd_

A good start BirdNerd, good luck at Albufera. The Eagles probably were Booted but I look forward to seeing the photos.
Good numbers of common migrants coming through the Island in the last few days including Northern Wheatear, Willow warbler, Common Redstart and Pied flycatcher. Mike

Hello,

On monday 29th Western Orphean Warbler-Busqueret emmascarat (Sylvia hortensis). Yesterday tuesday 30th we have a Kingfisher- Arner (Alcedo atthis) and Grey Heron- Agró blau (Ardea cinerea) fishing all the morning and a wood warbler- Ull de bou siulador (Phylloscopus sibilatrix) and a Red-footed Falcon-Xoriguer cama-roig (Falco vespertinus)
Photos in La Gola Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Centre-de-turisme-ornitològic-de-la-Gola-126115184103029/

Remember the september schedule: Monday to Saturday 8:00-13:00 and 15:00.18:00.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back