• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (2 Viewers)

Quite a few migrant passerines are being seen with Redstart, Pied flycatcher, Bonelli's warbler, Whinchat and Wheatear all being logged at various locations. A bit earlier than normal this year. Also one Hobby over Santa Ponca. Mike

Martin, and others!
A friend of mine sent me this photo as she would like to know which species of wasp this is.
The beetles are brilliant and are very common here. I have tried to look them up but I am still not sure.
Many thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm going on holiday to Mallorca next week, for one week with my family. I'm very excited - it looks so pretty and the bird life is amazing!
I am trying to familariz myself with the birds there before I go (I'm used to UK birds).
We are staying in the Cala d'Or area - is there any particular bird life I should look out for there? We are also visiting the S'Albufera National Park. Are there any particularly good hides? I really want to spot Greater Flamingo, and also Black -Winged Stilt. Is there anywhere particularly good in the park for spotting these?
Thanks.
_TheBirdNerd_

It would be great for us foreign birders,If there was a live webcam from S'Albufera Reserve showing the different species arriving through different seasons of the year,such as they have at Urdaibai Reserve In the Basque Country.

Has this ever been suggested/thought of before ?

Hi everyone,
I'm going on holiday to Mallorca next week, for one week with my family. I'm very excited - it looks so pretty and the bird life is amazing!
I am trying to familariz myself with the birds there before I go (I'm used to UK birds).
We are staying in the Cala d'Or area - is there any particular bird life I should look out for there? We are also visiting the S'Albufera National Park. Are there any particularly good hides? I really want to spot Greater Flamingo, and also Black -Winged Stilt. Is there anywhere particularly good in the park for spotting these?
Thanks.
_TheBirdNerd_

We stayed in Cala d'Or for a few days last week, didn't see much, Audouins etc. Salobrar de Campos is worth a visit (about 40 min drive) for Flamingos & many waders. You should mop up on most Herons, Swamp-hens etc at s'Albufera, but it's quite a hike from the road to the centre. Tucan Marsh, behind Lidl in Alcudia is also worth a look as birds much closer.

cheers
Dave

Hello BirdNerd
You won't have to travel as far as Albufera for the two target species, they are both abundant in the south at the salt pans, Salobrar de Campos.
However, a trip to the main reserve at Albufera is highly recommended. Nearly all visiting birders go there, it is usually marvelous. The best hides are not far from the information center and you will be able to visit them all. You can get a map when you sign in.
Let me know if you have any other species that you would like to see and I will try to help. I live next to Cala d'Or so I can let you know what is being seen locally. Mike

This morning we started off at Albufereta from the viewing tower. Two GW Egrets and numerous Purple & Night Herons. Also present the weird grey Little Egret (had it the other day but forgot to mention). Then onto Tucan Marsh, where the water has dropped further. Three Little Stints, Curlew Sand, two Wood Sands and surprisingly two Marbled Teal (not seen them here before). One Squacco and numerous Night Herons flying about.

Yesterday a few more Bee-eaters over the villa. No Scops calling this year, presumably we are too late.

cheers
Dave

Our last full day on the island, back home to blighty tomorrow. We took an early morning walk up towards the peak behind our villa, didn't quite make it to the top, but plenty of birds on small plateu below it (also some deer, are these wild?). Species seen:

2 Stone Curlew
3 calling Wryneck
Cirl Buntings
Crossbill
Hoopoe
Firecrest (everywhere)
3 Nighingale
Redstart
Pied Fly
Alpine Swift
Crag Martins
10+ Black Vultures & a few Griffons
2 Booted Eagles (one mobbing one of the above)

2 hrs up & 1 1/4 down.

Cheers
Dave

also some deer, are these wild?

Hi Dave
Deer are not native to the Balearic Islands. The only ones I've ever seen were captive in a touristic country estate (I have some pictures somewhere). I expect they are escapes from somewhere. I'll see if I can find any other references.
Best wishes
Martin

Martin, and others!
A friend of mine sent me this photo as she would like to know which species of wasp this is.
The beetles are brilliant and are very common here. I have tried to look them up but I am still not sure.
Many thanks, Mike

Hi Mike
The beetles look like one of the chafer species but not sure which. The wasps may be one of the Polistes species (paper wasps). I'll get them checked out.
They really seem to be enjoying the figs!
Best wishes
Martin (countdown in progress!)
[edit] I've just checked in the published list of bees and wasps and there are three species recorded. My best guess would be either Polistes gallicus or Polistes dominula but I've contacted a friend who might be able to help further.

Last edited:
Many thanks Martin.
Dave, like Martin I have never seen deer in the wild in Mallorca. Any idea which species?
Glad you had a good time and thanks for all your posts. Mike

Many thanks Martin.
Dave, like Martin I have never seen deer in the wild in Mallorca. Any idea which species?
Glad you had a good time and thanks for all your posts. Mike

There is archaeological evidence that Fallow deer were introduced into Mallorca in Roman times but were subsequently extirpated.
Martin

Hi Dave
Deer are not native to the Balearic Islands. The only ones I've ever seen were captive in a touristic country estate (I have some pictures somewhere). I expect they are escapes from somewhere. I'll see if I can find any other references.
Best wishes
Martin

I'm not sure which species they are, but did take some photos. They didn't seem particularly nervous of us, so I guess they may be captive. We saw three, including a well grown youngster. My mate thinks they were fallow, spotted on the hindneck area. Will post a photo upon my return to my pc!

Dave

Thanks guys for your detailed answers. I'll let you know how I get on after my holiday (If I get WiFi at my hotel then I will post my sightings during the week).
Happy birding. :)
_TheBirdNerd_

Some wonderful birds being seen today. A friend went to see the Rollers at Colonia Sant Jordi and told me there are now three. I will go later to check.
A Melodious warbler near Andratx, a Pallid harrier through the Cap at Ses Salines this morning , a Red-rumped swallow and many large groups of Bee-eaters being seen. More later I hope. Mike

a Pallid harrier through the Cap at Ses Salines this morning. Mike

Finally,
After a lot of discussion and asking the more experts, it seems it is not a pallid harrier but a Montagus harrier, a 2cy female.

Attachments

• macrourus1.jpg
    macrourus1.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 62
  • macrourus2.jpg
    macrourus2.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 41
  • macrourus6.jpg
    macrourus6.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back