• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help re different versions of 8x32 EL family (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

My last thread got no answers - probably because I wandered round my own question a bit much. So here is a second attempt with a new title and perhaps better focused questions!

As someone who hasn't used Swarovski beyond a quick try out in the local stockist I'm keen to find out what the different versions have been of their 8x32 line over the years.

I see references to 8x32 EL, WB, Field Pro and so forth and am not at all clear what the main distinguishing features are; whether these all share much in common; what the focus wheels are like for handling (I mention this as a negative I read on this and other sub-forums is how the focus feels compared with other major makes); whether they are all flat field or not; and anything else worth pointing out such as any different emphases on image quality. I should point out I'm talking I think here only of an open bridge design and not of what is now called SLC.

I see that the current EL is quite large or at least long compared with other Alpha 32s and wonder if this is to accommodate a superior optical system or perhaps to make the open bridge long enough for more comfortable handling.

Thank you for any replies, even if they only touch on small portions of this very broad question.

Tom

A complete change in optics came in 2012 with the introduction of the current EL SV. The previous 8x32 EL had a totally different objective lens and eyepiece design and used a positive rather than a negative focusing lens. the physical length didn't change between the models, but the internal distribution of of the optics changed. The old EL model required more length in front of the prism for its objective and focusing lenses while the SV requires less length up front but more behind the prism to accommodate a longer eyepiece design. In this case physical length doesn't really indicate anything about the optical quality. Small unannounced improvements to the coatings have been made all along.

Henry

Thank you, Henry; that's interesting to know.

If I may, do you know if the original or for that matter the 2012 versions were designed with a specific competitive or new feature in mind, and what optical characteristics were made the main priorities - I suppose at the expense of certain others? I ask because I sense Swarovski has a very loyal following but as always you can read other reviews that are lukewarm; however I don't quite pick up from them what the deciding factors are other than that flat field and/or focus feel are often mentioned.

Tom

Addendum: I remember Lee saying that the Zeiss Dialyt binoculars were an influence on the design thinking behind the Swarovski EL. So I'm going to guess that a wide and easy view were high up on the list.

Last edited:
The original 8x32 EL did not have the flat field that the EL SV has, and it did not have quite so much eye relief. The EL SV FieldPro is like the EL SV optically, but has different strap and objective cover attachments, slightly different focus wheel design, more secure diopter lock, and maybe more reliably smooth focus operation (but some older units are also very smooth). Early reviews of the optical quality of the original EL suggested that its resolution was not as good as a critical viewer would prefer, but later reviewers did not find such a deficit, leading to speculation that Swarovski had tweaked the design. I have the original 8x32 EL, manufactured towards the end of that model's production, and I do not find it lacking in resolution. My unit also has very smooth focus, and I find it ergonomically perfect all around. My only complaint is the amount of chromatic aberration in comparison to a truly low CA design like the Zeiss FL.

--AP

Thanks, Alexis. The Zeiss FL you mention at the end is presumably the 8x32 FL? I have been lucky enough to source a 7x42 FL in great condition, serviced and adjusted in Germany and used by Tobias Mennle in a comparison review between a Leica 7x42 UVHD plus, the Zeiss 7x42 FL, and a Nikon. It should be with me during next week; the only experience I have had of an 8x32 FL on the other hand was with a demo glass and it didn't impress me - I am pretty sure it had been knocked about since any other FLs I have seen - especially my 8x56 from Germany via eBay - are very sharp and contrasty.

As usual I think I'll need to try out an EL for myself in due course. This all started because my brother has an early EL and swears by it but I haven't had a chance to try it out when meeting him over the last year.

The history you outlined is very useful. I looked up some specs on the Swarovski site and the FOV of the current EL looks very impressive.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back