• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egg Thief in Court (1 Viewer)

Sentenced today for 18 weeks at HMP and banned from all nature reserves for 10 years. Hope someone boils his egg on Christmas Day.
:C

Last edited:
He was seen and arrested at Cawston Woods/ Heath, an area rich for many species, near the Brecks. Part of the sites here are managed by a combination of the N.W.T. / Natural England and are pretty remote.....no visitor centre or daily staff on site. I'm uncertain whether or not it's the same individual, but around 2004 or '5 a male was convicted after working as a "volunteer" for the county Wildlife Trust. His collection then was over 4,000 eggs and his actions alone were said to have made a huge impact on Nightingale breeding in the area.
Thirteen years later he's caught again.
The O.C.D. claim in my view, is just an excuse to gain the sympathetic vote or a lenient sentence. It would be nigh on impossible to enforce a satisfactory banning from nature reserves.
Revoking his driving licence would not be deemed fair.
Yes, send him back inside. Yes, ban him from all reserves for life. Just hope he and his cronies get a loud and clear message next month.

Look East tonight mentioned that he had previously been sentences for an egg collection of around 3000, in 2005, I think.
MJB

He will be behind bars for 9 weeks only of his sentence so plenty of time for him to be out and get ready for next Spring. As I suggested he should be banned from all reserves for life and made to report once a week to the police during the breeding season, at the very least. But, I doubt he's changed his ways at all.
P

Being caught and publicised for a minimal custodial sentence, and banned from mainly unwardened sites seems like a sales ploy for his probably lucrative merchanting of eggs.
If he is building around 5000 every 10 years, thats 10 per week, excluding any he has sold or otherwise not kept.
The punishment, whilst not something I would want, does not seem to have a deterent element.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back