• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (6 Viewers)

Fair enough - good luck then! You're going to have to organise your time well, cos I can rarely afford to spend that long biking (and we work less hard than you I think ;) ), but it should be manageable occasionally. I just carry all my birding kit in a 65L rucksack. Keep us posted on your exploits :t:

ps. the flatness just makes it worse... journeys go on forever... and ever... and ever! Give me mountains any day!

Had a great morning at Bough Beech Reservoir (my local patch) where 3 patch ticks were had, almost un heard of! The first was a female Goldeneye, the 2nd, a Knot flew in, and flew round the north lake for a while before departing off east, this was followed by 2 Dunlin flying north, and the 3rd patch tick of the day were 5 Waxwings that flew past heading North West. My Bough beech list now stands at 127.
Also about were the Juv Great-northern Diver, female Goosander, 8 Buzzard, 1 Sparrowhawk, Shelduck and quite a few Wigeon and Pochard.

Birding at my local patch, Beddington SF today (which has mostly been a complete waste of time all half term, apart from an adult Med Gull earlier in the week) was actually ok today with Redshank and the returning/a different 1st winter Iceland Gull (getting my Beddington year list up to 73). The latter bird has really given me the run around to get on my Beddington year list, narrowly missing it several times but its good to finally catch up with it.

Thanks for letting me know about the Waxwings heading my way Josh, me and Kev stood hopefully on the bridge for just over half an hour before giving up.

Also seen today; 2 Green Sandpipers and a Little Egret

I'm giving it another good bash tomorrow, hoping to get a Dunlin or Buzzard at least.

Hi everyone i know were i'm going today i'm going to Iner marsh farm, Gaton sands , marsh side an a lot more (well only a few).:king:

my yearlist is at 72 now, i dont think its that bad but it could be better (plus i only get time to birdwatch once a week,sometimes two)anyway hows everyone elses year lists coming along?

My yearlist is at 83, and I've hit a real brick wall with it-i've mopped up most of the easily obtainable ones in my local area, but I need to get down to the coast or further afield to increase it any more. Ten minutes of seawatching would probably get another 10 or so but I don't have time/money to spare.

Although I'm sure we'll both be put into the shade by the jammy sods whose names I won't mention who live in Norfolk! o:D

Had a really enjoyable day today, on the way to our local Tesco, I found 3 Waxwings sat up in a tree in Dunton Green, Sevenoaks, they were present outside the primary school there. Whilst at Tesco I phoned the news into Birdguides.
Onto bough beech where not alot was about compared to yesterday but the juvenile Great-northern Diver was still in residence and a good count of 11 Buzzards was nice.

Hi everyone:king:,had a bad start yesterday couldn't find two rspb places but went to Marine lake in hoylake and saw 1 cormarant, 10-20 redshank, 10 curlew a couple of oystercatchers and 1 heron allright for the morning, but then we got lost and we stopped next to wirral beach caravan park and saw a lot of black-tailed godwits and 2 WHIMREL next to it on a field. Then went to marshside and saw black-tailed godwit (again),1 little egret, a couple of skylark, curlew but did not se the green winged teal but it was there that morning. Then went to Martin mere an the first birds what i saw there was 2 Marsh harriers and 2 ringed plover and then a couple of buzzards,ruff and the usual stuff:t:.

Although I'm sure we'll both be put into the shade by the jammy sods whose names I won't mention who live in Norfolk! o:D

I'll have you know I'm only on 91 so far this year with the latest being a Yellow-legged Gull in Oxford (Port Meadow). I am currently visiting James at uni and so I won't get any other birding done this holiday!
But yes when I finally get up to the coast a full day out there should hopefully boost my list by roughly 30!!!:eek!: (depending on where I go obviously)
All the best of luck with your yearlists guys
Sim

Talking of year lists.....got mine up to 149 today with the additions for Raven and Long-tailed duck. No sign of the King eider, this was my 3rd attempt for the bird in a week, but some good birding was had with 2 Bittern (both self-found), 6 Smew, Peregrine, B N grebe on the Dungeness RSPB reserve. There was a male Black redstart by the power station and the 1st winter Iceland gull was flying about for 10 minutes or so. At the coast in Lydd, near the MoD fireing ranges, a flock of c600 Common Scoter held the Long-tailed duck and 6 Velvet scoter. We went for the Pannel Valley shrike(great grey) but dipped that, 2 Ravens flying over were nice compensation.

MCSpudd said:
but did not se the green winged teal but it was there that morning

Had much the same problem when I got down to Marshside a few weeks ago: "oh yes it was here an hour ago" and so in my tick-hungry desperation I ended up scrutinising the 'white bits' of the roughly 1000 teal in front of the hide-none being the nice tasty vertical type.

Although I did find a lovely winter-plumaged Spotted Redshank which promptly b*ggered off as soon as the RSPB chap came to look through my scope at it!

Had a Red Kite on the way back from Oxford today. Yearlist = 92. I bet you're afraid Josh!!! School tomorrow, whcih means no birding for a while... :(

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back