• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (4 Viewers)

This is all they sent me! Note the "Thank you NHS" under the centre section - from one thin blue line to another...

The rubbish A400M Atlas photo was later in the day - the RAF transport force never stops work, supporting our forces worldwide - but he was heading East just over 20,000 feet somewhere over Bracknell.

John

Attachments

• 20200508 (6)_SM520_Supermarine_Spitfire_T9.JPG
    20200508 (6)_SM520_Supermarine_Spitfire_T9.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200508 (9)_SM520_Supermarine_Spitfire_T9.JPG
    20200508 (9)_SM520_Supermarine_Spitfire_T9.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200508 (11)_ZM400_Airbus_A400M_Atlas.JPG
    20200508 (11)_ZM400_Airbus_A400M_Atlas.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 27
Ok VE Day was a damp squib although there were plenty of street partying around here! I feel particularly for the dwindling number of veterans and those civilians that lived through a real crisis - i just hope folk remember all this when they are buying stuff online or wherever.....

With the RAF on a permanent budget they put up a few Spitfires - 1 each over the White Cliffs, London and the other subsidised Capitals and over Jug-Ears’ Estate:C

The Russians however do things differently:t:

They celebrate a day later as Eisenhower signed the initial one in Rheims whilst the Bolsheviks were still looting Berlin so another took place in the devastated German one a day later. Yesterday the planned Red Square Parade was cancelled but Putin had an ace up his sleeve.....

The Soviets sent 75 aircraft over Moscow, 1 for each year. They included every frontline combat type, fighters/bombers, plus refuelers and recon/intel:eek!:

Here is the YT link from RT with air to air footage as well as ground-based - for aviation buffs this is the stuff of dreams:eek!::t:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H8sjvC948p4

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

And I would have been there this year but for COVID!

I think, the airshow was a late compromise for the usual parade which couldn't take place.

Note Laurie, there are no more Soviets, not officially anyway ;)

I managed to catch them from my garden as they headed south. I was expecting them, my nephew is on their support crew. He joined them last year and was on the North American tour. They came over much lower than I expected in two groups. By the time I got my camera on them they were already heading away.

Lewis

Attachments

• _DSC6888.JPG
    _DSC6888.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC6921.JPG
    _DSC6921.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 22
There are supposed to be military exercises here this month with both day and night flying. All I've seen so far is two of these on Wednesday. Thankfully this one passed over the house without dropping anything!

Attachments

• _DSC7161-001.JPG
    _DSC7161-001.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 30
Canadian tragedy.....
lucky that no one on the ground was killed as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52701421

Just to make it clear, this was not a display-related accident. Without denigrating Andy's remark - it certainly was lucky nobody on the ground was killed - you might as well say it is lucky that no jet taking off from Heathrow has ever crashed on a house. With the best will and all the skill in the world aviation is not zero-risk and people not participating in it are not uninvolved in that.

John

Just to make it clear, this was not a display-related accident. Without denigrating Andy's remark - it certainly was lucky nobody on the ground was killed - you might as well say it is lucky that no jet taking off from Heathrow has ever crashed on a house. With the best will and all the skill in the world aviation is not zero-risk and people not participating in it are not uninvolved in that.

John

I get the impression John that you're attributing far too much meaning to my words which were intended to be read as written with no criticism or underlying message.

Last edited:
I get the impression John that you're attributing far too much meaning to my words which were intended to be read as written with no criticism or underlying message.

You're partly right no criticism of you was intended, but there is a group in society that reacts to almost everything where the slightest risk might be identified by shrieking for a ban. Airshows/display teams have had a battering from such snowflakes over the last few years and I was openly seeking to cut their feet from under them before they got started. Prevention is better than cure.

Ban viruses, that's what I say 3:)

John

Maybe... has it ever occurred to you that a missile with on-board guidance (such as the infra-red Sidewinder or radar-guided AMRAAM) is an autonomous combat vehicle capable of higher-G manoeuvres than a fighter? They are defeatable: they can be evaded, decoyed, or guidance broken by manoeuvring.

Lets see the result of the upcoming test before we get too excited.

John

The race and development to take away the "on board" human presence has been ongoing for some time. To prevent aircrew loss of life or cost cutting - training / salary / pension / rogue or friendly fire mishaps? Couple this drone fighter jet alongside unmanned mid air refueling tankers (in development) and you have the future scenario - a flight of F35s controlling several swarms of fighter bomber drones with varying roles air cover / counter measures and surveillance / ground attack and close support.

As a kid, it was unheard of and science fiction, it's now a reality. I find it quite frightening to be honest, moreso when I first moved to Norfolk and discovered that the Canberra flying overhead routinely was unmanned. FJ has painted the picture that nearly everything we have is based on American airframes, weapons and systems.

Maybe... has it ever occurred to you that a missile with on-board guidance (such as the infra-red Sidewinder or radar-guided AMRAAM) is an autonomous combat vehicle capable of higher-G manoeuvres than a fighter? They are defeatable: they can be evaded, decoyed, or guidance broken by manoeuvring.

Lets see the result of the upcoming test before we get too excited.

John

The time to worry is when the most successful individual fighter drone is promoted to be the RAF's Chief of Air Staff...! Will we notice the difference...?:eek!::eek!::eek!:
MJB

If one of these things is 'downed', will it have the capablity to steer away from populated areas as some pilots have done in the past?

If one of these things is 'downed', will it have the capablity to steer away from populated areas as some pilots have done in the past?

I guess it depends on a whole manner of variable scenarios from, Is it being "flown" by a ground controller, a busy airborne pilot strapped into an F35 or mission controllers in a Boeing E7A ( Wedgetail ). Also whether a degree of AI has been programmed into the flight computers should the frame become unstable in forward flight. Who really knows at this stage?
Here's a thought for you. Will there be unmanned commercial flights for say cargo or passengers and would you take a seat? It's a big No from me.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on a whole manner of variable scenarios from, Is it being "flown" by a ground controller, a busy airborne pilot strapped into an F35 or mission controllers in a Boeing E7A ( Wedgetail ). Also whether a degree of AI has been programmed into the flight computers should the frame become unstable in forward flight. Who really knows at this stage?
Here's a thought for you. Will there be unmanned commercial flights for say cargo or passengers and would you take a seat? It's a big No from me.

And me!

I think we are all agreed that a large amount of work is needed to make unmanned flight safe to acceptable commercial flight safety levels. However, you might like to ponder how many commercial aircraft disasters have been due to CFIT (controlled flight into terrain), identified pilot error, identified pilot malfeasance (from the twitcher crash to the sad loss of the footballer to the murder suicide of the Germanwings aircraft). Sure you wouldn't rather have a computer in charge and the sooner it becomes practicable the better?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back